Warmup for LSAT/PTs?

imjustjoking22

Warmup for LSAT/PTs?

Postby imjustjoking22 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:40 pm

I'm taking a prep course, and I've recently started adding in extra timed PTs on my own. My last three scores have been 171 (-10) 168 (-10) 174 (-8). I have begun to notice that while I no longer have a clearly weak section, I always miss more at the beginning of the test (stamina doesn't generally seem to be an issue, and I am down to -1/-0 for the last sections). Can you guys suggest a good warmup that I could incorporate into my PT routine and replicate on the morning of the LSAT? I feel like if I'm scoring -3 on the first section out of 8 missed total, then I'm an idiot if I don't address it.

Killingly

Re: Warmup for LSAT/PTs?

Postby Killingly » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:57 pm

I've heard that doing one LG game, one RC passage, or about 5-10 LR questions serves as a good warm-up. I think I'm going to do all three the day before the test and around 5 LR the morning of.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:13 pm

Whatever you do, don't check your answers. Nothing good will be gained by realizing you got one wrong and having the question bouncing around your mind before the test.

I did a handful of LR questions before I went in for the June exam. I also tore out an easy game to do, but the proctor saw it in my hands as I was registering and told me to throw it away. If you absolutely must do a warm up I'd suggest doing it in your car before you walk into the testing center.

imjustjoking22

Postby imjustjoking22 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:42 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:Whatever you do, don't check your answers. Nothing good will be gained by realizing you got one wrong and having the question bouncing around your mind before the test.

I did a handful of LR questions before I went in for the June exam. I also tore out an easy game to do, but the proctor saw it in my hands as I was registering and told me to throw it away. If you absolutely must do a warm up I'd suggest doing it in your car before you walk into the testing center.

Haha, I don't think I could handle not checking my answers, I might die! Maybe that means I should do some questions I've seen before or something like that...

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:45 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:Whatever you do, don't check your answers.

The temptation is definitely there, but don't do it.

Do 5 questions of an old LR section or one old LG. Don't check your answers.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:50 pm

Definitely warm up. You do NOT want the first section of the real test the first time your brain fires up that day. I did one LG game in the car before I went inside the testing building.

Bobeo

Postby Bobeo » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:38 pm

I'm going to make myself a packet of 2 games, 1 RC passage and 2 pages of LR and take it with me in October. Do it in the lobby before I check in and throw it away. And I will definitely not be bringing an answer key.

The point is to get your mind working. Nothing is gained by checking your answers, and if you check your answers and you miss 4 or 5 that is definitely going to throw you off your game.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:27 pm

imjustjoking22 wrote:Maybe that means I should do some questions I've seen before or something like that...

Our general recommendation is 10 LR questions and 1 game, all of which you did as part of your prep. Ideally, it will be something that you bombed during an initial PT or early in your prep, but that you've since reviewed and it now seems easy to you. This will get the mind juices flowing as well as boost your confidence as you realize how far you've come. [/cheesy motivational speech]

imjustjoking22

Postby imjustjoking22 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:05 pm

Thanks, all!! I tried a warmup today, but I think I messed myself up by stopping for a longer-than-needed snack break right before LG... -10 overall, -6 in LG... OUCH. hahaha. Maybe I should cut this one out as the LG I take in on test day, fully conquered ;). But the good news was I think my initial accuracy was up (at the outset), since I did a bit better than usual in the other sections. I probably have to get used to warming up and all that, too.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:22 pm

imjustjoking22 wrote:Thanks, all!! I tried a warmup today, but I think I messed myself up by stopping for a longer-than-needed snack break right before LG... -10 overall, -6 in LG... OUCH. hahaha. Maybe I should cut this one out as the LG I take in on test day, fully conquered ;). But the good news was I think my initial accuracy was up (at the outset), since I did a bit better than usual in the other sections. I probably have to get used to warming up and all that, too.

That's a potentially fantastic score with an LG meltdown mixed in. You are in good shape.

On test day there will be a pretty long stretch between your final warm-up question and the start of the exam, so you did it right.

imjustjoking22

Postby imjustjoking22 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:30 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
imjustjoking22 wrote:Thanks, all!! I tried a warmup today, but I think I messed myself up by stopping for a longer-than-needed snack break right before LG... -10 overall, -6 in LG... OUCH. hahaha. Maybe I should cut this one out as the LG I take in on test day, fully conquered ;). But the good news was I think my initial accuracy was up (at the outset), since I did a bit better than usual in the other sections. I probably have to get used to warming up and all that, too.

That's a potentially fantastic score with an LG meltdown mixed in. You are in good shape.

On test day there will be a pretty long stretch between your final warm-up question and the start of the exam, so you did it right.

Thanks, TS. I was so bummed because I have been missing maybe 2-3/LG section max, my last was -1... this was a giant disaster! gah! It's the stupid Archeological sites one from October 2004...I'm just worried now since I've been doing well on LG that I could have a similar disastrous one on the real thing. Gah!

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:41 pm

It's the stupid Archeological sites one from October 2004

Is that the one where it listed 8th, 9th and 10th centuries and one of the rules mentioned the most recent century? If so, I did that game in my final Testmasters class and misunderstood the rule. This was five days before the real thing, and it definitely freaked me out until I got through my next PT.

imjustjoking22

Postby imjustjoking22 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:46 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
It's the stupid Archeological sites one from October 2004

Is that the one where it listed 8th, 9th and 10th centuries and one of the rules mentioned the most recent century? If so, I did that game in my final Testmasters class and misunderstood the rule. This was five days before the real thing, and it definitely freaked me out until I got through my next PT.

YES. I FINALLY (after at least 15 minutes just staring at the first question) figured out that I had wrongly translated "most recent century" into "earliest century" when diagramming.

ARGH.

eta: I'll probably do another PT tmrw. My morale just went back up (although how much can a dumb mistake psych you out?? srsly). I suppose I should be pleased that I managed to stay consistent even with the problem score-wise, but I'd like to be improving... I'm now -10, -10, -8, -10 (and yea, I know I have a pathetically low amount of PTs done, but I'm doing a course so I figured I'd only start PTing the last month).
Last edited by imjustjoking22 on Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:48 pm

Haha I remember virtually nothing from LSAT Prep but that game stands out.

imjustjoking22

Postby imjustjoking22 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:48 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:Haha I remember virtually nothing from LSAT Prep but that game stands out.

Haha, this makes me feel much better. I will remember this game too...curse it!

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:50 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:Haha I remember virtually nothing from LSAT Prep but that game stands out.

Yeah I definitely screwed that one up too. Tricky testmakers.

imjustjoking22

Postby imjustjoking22 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:58 am

minnbills wrote:

Yeah I definitely screwed that one up too. Tricky testmakers.

Of course, after fixing that one leeeeeeeetle problem it was easy-peasy. GAH!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”