PTing around 165

hownowbrowncow

PTing around 165

Postby hownowbrowncow » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:21 pm

Highest score I've gotten so far was a 170 (ironically my first pt in early august) and lowest is a 160 (about one hour ago and freaking me out and making my insecurity rise to a level where I have to come to this forum for validation). Others were 165, 166, and 168. My regimen for this last month before the Oct. test is a full 5 section every other day. If I work my ass off and heavily review the problems I missed, should I be able to confidently hit a 175 by Oct 1?

tmon

Re: PTing around 165

Postby tmon » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:32 pm

It's certainly possible. I'll make some of the typical recommendations:

Don't do so much you burn out. If you burn out it's going to slow your improvement at best, and depress your scores (and your mood) at worst. Burnout is real, don't go too hard or you'll regret it.

Make sure you're doing the right kind of work. Just PTing can become useless quickly, especially if you aren't reviewing properly. At the very least, you should be going through every incorrect answer and identifying why you chose the wrong answer, why the other incorrect answers are wrong, and why the right one is right. If you can do more, go through all questions, not just the ones you got wrong.

On days you're not PTing it can help to drill weaknesses, but that's going to be tough if you're PTing every other day. Might be something to think about if you find you're missing some of the same question/game type.

hope that helps. good luck :)

hownowbrowncow

Re: PTing around 165

Postby hownowbrowncow » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:49 am

Appreciate it. Yeah, I actually scored a 164 on my test I just took, not a 160. I think a lot of it has to do with psyching myself out. I always miss the most on the first section and as I near the end I care less about how I do and just focus on finishing the test. And typically my last sections are my best, even if they're LR (which is definitely my weakest area). As advised by pithypike's guide, I devote as much time as I need to the questions I miss when reviewing, but you raise a good point--I should probably review questions I got right too, especially the ones I felt unsure about.

Regarding the whole burnout thing--I'm very aware that my mind could be melted come Oct. 1, but I read the post on people who scored perfect 180s and they all took over 20 tests. So I'm trying to find that balance of squeezing enough in while not burning myself out (which is complicated by the fact that I'm working two jobs).

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”