LOGIC GAMES-pt 42, game 2, loading docks. Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Sheendream

New

LOGIC GAMES-pt 42, game 2, loading docks.

Post by Sheendream » Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:47 pm

The only q's I got wrong on this section were #8 and #12, both from game 2. They are both questions regarding "for exactly how many of the six bays is the type of cargo that bay is holding completely determined?"

I usually draw hypotheticals but this is extremely time consuming and I still seem to get them wrong. This is really my only weakness in LG's. Can someone provide some light on how to improve on these types of q's? Thanks!

timmydoeslsat

Bronze

Re: LOGIC GAMES-pt 42, game 2, loading docks.

Post by timmydoeslsat » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:48 pm

Diagram:

The only variable we do not know the placement of is M and the order of the PT/TP block.

M is a free agent/floater/random in this game and it places an important role in the two questions you have.

#8.

The question stem tells us that M and G are separated by exactly one variable. Notice that we either have M_G or G_M.

We could never have a situation of G_M because we do not have enough variables to accomplish this. After M is placed, no more variables can come after G, all must come before. So this scenario is out.

That means that we must have M_G.

The M is placed, so we must go with our sequencing tree we have in our global diagram. We now know that the L must come between the M and G. The L is the closest variable to G. We know that the F will be first and that the PT/TP block will come after it. However, the order of that PT/TP block is not solved by a mere sequence of M_G, this we only know the exact placement of four variables because P and T are not known.

With P going fourth, we know that only two variables can go after it. Looking at our sequencing tree we know that it must be L and then G. T could not come after P because where would L and G go? Same with M. Where would L and G go? Not enough room.

We know that T must come directly before P now. So that will be the occupation of the third slot. However, now we are caught in uncertainty. We know that F must come before T, but it does not have to come immediately before T. And we know that the placement of M is a random thing, thus we do not know for certain where F and T go. This is shown below by the box that can flip the placement of M and F.

Sheendream

New

Re: LOGIC GAMES-pt 42, game 2, loading docks.

Post by Sheendream » Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:00 pm

That's perfect, thank you so much. Greatly appreciated, good luck with your studying!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”