What to do if time called early? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
glucose101

Bronze

What to do if time called early?

Post by glucose101 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:35 am

I'm writing in Oct, and I'm wondering what do I do if a section is called early? At this point, I'm needing every minute...

kahechsof

Bronze

Re: What to do if time called early?

Post by kahechsof » Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:18 am

That probably won't happen.
And if it does, I have no idea what to do. You could probably yell out that it is too early, and maybe other people will agree, but I imagine they will not back down and your only option will be to cancel.

tomwatts

Gold

Post by tomwatts » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:34 am

Object. If you're right, you're right. 9 times out of 10, when a section is called early, it's because the proctor somehow added wrong or thought the sections were 30 mins instead of 35. If you just point out that they're wrong, they'll fix it.

But this is rare. In 5 years as an LSAT teacher, I had this happen to, I think, two of my students.

LSAT World

New

Post by LSAT World » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:39 am

tomwatts wrote:But this is rare. In 5 years as an LSAT teacher, I had this happen to, I think, two of my students.
That's true, it is very rare. To make sure this won't happen choose test center that proctored LSAT before. Usually you can check this at previous LSAT registration. However not sure if you can still check test centers for June LSAT. If you can't check it, at least choose a law school as your test center. Hopefully, they have better knowledge of the LSAT.

Answering your question directly: what to do? - tell the proctor and hope they understand it.

bball1997

New

Post by bball1997 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:47 am

In June my proctor forgot to call the five minute warning on the last section. That was also the only section that I forgot to start my watch at the beginning so I was going to use the warning to get straightened out. I was lucky to finish that section a couple minutes early (it was LR), so it wasn't a total disaster. It would have probably cost me 2-4 points if I had RC last.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mickeyD

Bronze

Post by mickeyD » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:41 pm

On my test day, I walked up to the proctor before the test began and said, "Are you going to keep time to exactly 35 minutes?" He said yes. I then asked him if he was going to use a wristwatch, because "sometimes when people just eyeball it they're actually cutting off 30-40 seconds, instead of beginning when the second hand reaches 12."

This was probably obnoxious, and he used a digital timer, which made the whole thing unnecessary, but at the same time he was very understanding of my questions. Even if he wasn't, and was annoyed, I wouldn't care. I was never going to see that man again in my life- i'll gladly let someone think I'm a prick if that's what it takes to make sure I'm not losing time. I think we all know crucial losing even just 25 seconds can be. Better to say something beforehand than be sorry afterwards.

LSAT World

New

Post by LSAT World » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:50 pm

In June my proctor forgot to call the five minute warning on the last section.
Pretty sure proctors are not required to do the 5 minute warning. Moreover, some students find it distracting. So don't get use to it during your preparation.

Eichörnchen

Silver

Post by Eichörnchen » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:57 pm

mickeyD wrote:On my test day, I walked up to the proctor before the test began and said, "Are you going to keep time to exactly 35 minutes?" He said yes. I then asked him if he was going to use a wristwatch, because "sometimes when people just eyeball it they're actually cutting off 30-40 seconds, instead of beginning when the second hand reaches 12."

This was probably obnoxious, and he used a digital timer, which made the whole thing unnecessary, but at the same time he was very understanding of my questions. Even if he wasn't, and was annoyed, I wouldn't care. I was never going to see that man again in my life- i'll gladly let someone think I'm a prick if that's what it takes to make sure I'm not losing time. I think we all know crucial losing even just 25 seconds can be. Better to say something beforehand than be sorry afterwards.
I totally understand this - 40 seconds can totally translate to another question right. In my June test, the proctor called the 5 minute warning at about the 10 minutes remaining mark, there was mass scribbling and freaking out, and then about a minute to a minute and a half later she called out, "Err...nine minutes remaining." :roll: At least she caught it I suppose.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:03 pm

glucose101 wrote:I'm writing in Oct, and I'm wondering what do I do if a section is called early? At this point, I'm needing every minute...
Please don't go into the exam worrying about this.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mattviphky

Silver

Post by mattviphky » Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:26 pm

on my first test the proctors were very nice, they offered to call 5 minutes, and they just seemed nice overall. In June the person calling out time had this shrill voice that was damned annoying and she did not call 5 minutes. The worst about this place is that there were like 6 people just walking through the aisles at all time, so it felt like someone was breathing down your neck, very annoying.

mattviphky

Silver

Post by mattviphky » Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:28 pm

oops i guess i got off topic, well it most likely won't happen, so don't be nervous, and if u want to ask the proctor to call 5 minutes, and then one minutes, or whatever, you might as well ask. My first proctors called a minute i believe, which helped with last minute bubbling.

Jeffort

Gold

Post by Jeffort » Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:00 pm

LSAT World wrote:
In June my proctor forgot to call the five minute warning on the last section.
Pretty sure proctors are not required to do the 5 minute warning. Moreover, some students find it distracting. So don't get use to it during your preparation.
Sir, you are incorrect and perhaps providing a disservice to students preparing to take the test.

If you are going to go as pseudonym "LSAT World" to post advice/information and to try to get people to download and use your iPhone timing app that they cannot use on test day and that they should not get conditioned to using while preparing for test day, please at least read and learn the test day rules and regulations as well as other important stuff about properly preparing to take the LSAT. Thank you.

http://www.lsac.org/JD/LSAT/day-of-test.asp
Test Center Regulations

Certifying statement. You will be required to write and sign a certifying statement on your answer sheet attesting that the person taking the test is the person whose name appears on the answer sheet and that you are taking the test for the sole purpose of admission to law school. Failure to sign your answer sheet or to complete the certifying statement, or modifying the certifying statement in any way, will result in a hold on your file and possibly a delay in reporting your score.

No latecomers. Under no circumstances will supervisors admit anyone after testing begins.

Seating. The supervisor will assign each examinee a seat. Examinees are not permitted to choose their own seats, rooms, or building.

Test administration. The supervisor will tell you when to start and stop work on each separately timed section. Blackening of answer spaces on your answer sheet must be done before time is called for any given section. Supervisors will administer the multiple-choice sections first, followed by the writing sample.

Time. Supervisors will keep the official time.
You may take an analog (nondigital) wristwatch to the test center. No other timers—including electronic and countdown timers—are allowed.

Testing staff. Testing staff will circulate throughout the testing room to ensure that examinees are marking their answer sheets correctly and are working in the appropriate section.
The supervisor will announce a five-minutes-remaining warning for each section.
IMPORTANT: Electronic devices, including cell phones, are not permitted in the test center, and the use of any electronic device is strictly prohibited. Any test taker discovered in possession of an electronic device, including but not limited to cell phones, pay phones, pagers, iPods™ or other media players, or personal computers, will be dismissed from the test. This policy will be enforced from the time test takers arrive at the test center until they leave at the conclusion of the test—including the break. Violations will be grounds for score cancellation. LSAC and test center staff assume no responsibility for personal items.

LSAT World

New

Post by LSAT World » Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:28 pm

Jeffort, first of all the timing in the app is a secondary feature. The main feature is the ability to add distractions and practice under the level of distractions that you might have during the actual test. The timing is not that essential in the app, although it has an analog watch screen which at least makes it similar to the regular watch. NO ONE SHOULD COME WITH THIS APP TO THE ACTUAL TEST. It is obvious.

Regarding, your citation: Thanks for clarification about proctoring requirements. Although it is said that a supervisor will announce a five minute warning before the end of each section in reality that's not what happens every time. The advice to be prepared for a situation where no 5-minutes-warning is issued is not so bad after all.

Jeffort

Gold

Post by Jeffort » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:33 pm

LSAT World wrote:Jeffort, first of all the timing in the app is a secondary feature. The main feature is the ability to add distractions and practice under the level of distractions that you might have during the actual test. The timing is not that essential in the app, although it has an analog watch screen which at least makes it similar to the regular watch. NO ONE SHOULD COME WITH THIS APP TO THE ACTUAL TEST. It is obvious.

Regarding, your citation: Thanks for clarification about proctoring requirements. Although it is said that a supervisor will announce a five minute warning before the end of each section in reality that's not what happens every time. The advice to be prepared for a situation where no 5-minutes-warning is issued is not so bad after all.
Okey-dokey, good luck with your spamming campaign.

PS: As you claim it to be, your app is not the first LSAT proctor+distractions simulator, not even for iPhones. There are a bunch of PC, web based, CD, DVD, mp3, etc. and mobile phone ones that have been around for several years.

OP: Don't stress about getting shorted time on test day. Although it occasionally/rarely happens, LSAC has been putting a lot of effort into proctor and facility quality control measures over the last few years.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”