Should I push back to December or stick with October?

ThePhoenix88
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:57 pm

Should I push back to December or stick with October?

Postby ThePhoenix88 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:09 pm

Hi Everyone,

I've been studying for about 2 weeks for about 2 1/2 hours a day. I've gotten through the LGB. Over the last three days I've taken 3 practice test and have scored : 158, 153, 155. I really want to go to a decent school but I don't know if pushing back the test date will help me any. I'm considering using Testmasters full course (in Auburn, Al) if I do push back. Is this advisable to do?

What I really want to know is if I can increase my score to around a 165.

Thanks.

EDIT: I should have mentioned that I plan to start law school from the Fall 2012.

User avatar
nshapkar
Posts: 2444
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:56 pm

Re: Should I push back to December or stick with October?

Postby nshapkar » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:48 pm

ThePhoenix88 wrote:Hi Everyone,

I've been studying for about 2 weeks for about 2 1/2 hours a day. I've gotten through the LGB. Over the last three days I've taken 3 practice test and have scored : 158, 153, 155. I really want to go to a decent school but I don't know if pushing back the test date will help me any. I'm considering using Testmasters full course (in Auburn, Al) if I do push back. Is this advisable to do?

What I really want to know is if I can increase my score to around a 165.

Thanks.

EDIT: I should have mentioned that I plan to start law school from the Fall 2012.




I would push back. I've been studying all summer and have raised my score from 157 to 170.

User avatar
sikemenow
Posts: 53
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:45 am

Re: Should I push back to December or stick with October?

Postby sikemenow » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:26 pm

Keep monitoring your test scores. I'm actually in the same position you are: planning on fall 2012, registered for the October test but my scores aren't quite as high as I'd like them to be. My thinking is that I'm going to just continue to prep hard, take the October test and see how it comes out. I'll sill be able to apply ED and maintain that advantage if I get a score that I'm comfortable with. If it doesn't go well my applications will still be in, I can retake in December and merely inform the schools of my updated test score. Anybody have an opinion on this thinking?

coastal112
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:49 pm

Re: Should I push back to December or stick with October?

Postby coastal112 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:58 pm

I am also in a very similar position. Currently registered for October, but after off and on studying during the summer, I am averaging 158.. I still want to be a competitive applicant, but I'm not sure how I'll fare with a December LSAT (with no previous LSATs).

I plan on studying as much as I can until late September, and if I'm not PT-ing where I want by then, I will pull my registration and take December. Does anyone have thoughts on how much of a disadvantage it is to apply for Fall 2012 admission with only a December 2011 LSAT? (One plus is that my Fall grades will be in, and that will be a boost to my GPA, although not enough for me to pull my Oct registration right now.)

User avatar
minnbills
Posts: 3153
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: Should I push back to December or stick with October?

Postby minnbills » Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:21 pm

Don't be afraid to wait 'til next cycle to apply so you can take a later test. I took the test last october originally planning to apply right after but decided to wait and ended up going from 162 in Oct. to 168 in June.

coastal112
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:49 pm

Re: Should I push back to December or stick with October?

Postby coastal112 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:56 pm

minnbills wrote:Don't be afraid to wait 'til next cycle to apply so you can take a later test. I took the test last october originally planning to apply right after but decided to wait and ended up going from 162 in Oct. to 168 in June.


May I ask what you're doing in the year between graduation and law school? If you're working, is it a law related position?

For me, the downside would be needing to work full-time to afford a $1300/month apartment and begin repayment of my loans and various other bills.

User avatar
minnbills
Posts: 3153
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: Should I push back to December or stick with October?

Postby minnbills » Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:43 pm

coastal112 wrote:
minnbills wrote:Don't be afraid to wait 'til next cycle to apply so you can take a later test. I took the test last october originally planning to apply right after but decided to wait and ended up going from 162 in Oct. to 168 in June.


May I ask what you're doing in the year between graduation and law school? If you're working, is it a law related position?

For me, the downside would be needing to work full-time to afford a $1300/month apartment and begin repayment of my loans and various other bills.


My original plan was to finish undergrad in three years plus one summer and then work for a year before going to law school. When it became obvious I wasn't going to be able to find good work (I'm a lib arts guy) I decided to come back for one more year, taking one class per semester and moving back in with the 'rents to cut costs. I'm coaching a high school ski team and skiing for my school to bide the time. I have kind of a unique situation in that regard.

Since I'm commuting the pressure to make good money really isn't there at the moment. If you have to live on your own than taking a year off is a risky proposition. At the same time, I would not have gotten my 168 if I'd not taken the extra time. Now I have much, much better options for school.

My main point is that maximizing your performance on the LSAT is really worth it. If you don't feel confident you can do your best in October, then you should at least consider waiting a cycle since by the time the december scores come out your chances will be worse.

coastal112
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:49 pm

Re: Should I push back to December or stick with October?

Postby coastal112 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:26 pm

minnbills wrote:My original plan was to finish undergrad in three years plus one summer and then work for a year before going to law school. When it became obvious I wasn't going to be able to find good work (I'm a lib arts guy) I decided to come back for one more year, taking one class per semester and moving back in with the 'rents to cut costs. I'm coaching a high school ski team and skiing for my school to bide the time. I have kind of a unique situation in that regard.

Since I'm commuting the pressure to make good money really isn't there at the moment. If you have to live on your own than taking a year off is a risky proposition. At the same time, I would not have gotten my 168 if I'd not taken the extra time. Now I have much, much better options for school.

My main point is that maximizing your performance on the LSAT is really worth it. If you don't feel confident you can do your best in October, then you should at least consider waiting a cycle since by the time the december scores come out your chances will be worse.


Oh okay, I see what you mean. I currently live at home as well to cut costs, but if I were to finish school and not go straight to law school, I would need to move out. It sucks, but that's my reality. I do agree with you that taking extra time to maximize your score is worth it, and there's no way I will take October if I'm not scoring where I want to be, especially since I plan on applying to good schools. I've had many friends who plan on retaking before they even take their first. Whatever reasoning they had for that plan, it was faulty. Needless to say, those kids didn't wind up going to law school.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: clueless801, CMac86 and 6 guests