What should I tell my students

pcwcecac

What should I tell my students

Postby pcwcecac » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:48 pm

Hi all,

My two LSAT students both asked me how much they can reasonably expect to improve by the October test date. I told them if they keep it up, they can each improve enough to hit their targets, which to some degree is justifiable given each of them has improved 10+ points in the course of a month and a half.

The student scoring in the high 160's is targeting somewhere in the low 170's and the student targeting a 170 is in the low to mid 160's.

I certainly think it's possible that they can reach their goals, but I also know that the deadline for changing test date is coming up. It's hard for me to decide if I should keep feeding optimism or insinuate that taking the LSAT in December is also an option.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks

EDIT: I should also add that both of them prefer to apply this year, but can also wait a year if it means they could significantly improve their chances at T14

thecilent

Re: What should I tell my students

Postby thecilent » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:59 pm

If you don't know these kind of answers, you prob shouldnt be teaching people

pcwcecac

Postby pcwcecac » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:09 pm

I don't think my inability to give strategic advice outside of the substance of the test dictates how well I teach the test itself; they have improved significantly. But I acknowledge my shortcomings, and that's why I'm asking a question here.

Thanks for being really constructive, thecilent.

cany

Postby cany » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:42 pm

thecilent wrote:If you don't know these kind of answers, you prob shouldnt be teaching people

+1

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:46 pm

Yes. I taught an LSAT class, students who were able to score in the 160's were generally able to raise there score to 170 within a month or so. There are just certain base skill levels, and if you can score in the mid 160's you can perfect your strategy. Of the class, those who started under 153 never reached higher than 162 regardless of time and effort.

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:00 pm

pcwcecac wrote:Hi all,

My two LSAT students both asked me how much they can reasonably expect to improve by the October test date. I told them if they keep it up, they can each improve enough to hit their targets, which to some degree is justifiable given each of them has improved 10+ points in the course of a month and a half.

The student scoring in the high 160's is targeting somewhere in the low 170's and the student targeting a 170 is in the low to mid 160's.

I certainly think it's possible that they can reach their goals, but I also know that the deadline for changing test date is coming up. It's hard for me to decide if I should keep feeding optimism or insinuate that taking the LSAT in December is also an option.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks

EDIT: I should also add that both of them prefer to apply this year, but can also wait a year if it means they could significantly improve their chances at T14

I think the policy change means that they can withdraw up to the day before the test, so I would tell them not to worry quite yet.

pcwcecac

Postby pcwcecac » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:18 pm

Cupidity, that's very comforting to know. Thanks very much

Eichörnchen, you are right. The coming deadline is for cancellation partial refund or date change. But they can cancel the night before, without refund. The refund is really not worth stressing over. Thanks very much for that info.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”