Would I benefit from PS / TM classes? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

Would PS / TM help me?

Yes, the class can help you get more out of studying.
80%
No, you'll probably end up scoring the same.
20%

Total votes: 5

marcellus

Bronze

Would I benefit from PS / TM classes?

Post by marcellus » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:28 pm

I self-studied for the LSAT in 2010. I bought the LG and LR bibles. I also got all the PTs I could. I studied for 2 months. First, I broke down the games into types, and drilled myself on each type. Next, I did the same for LR. (RC has never been a problem for me, I can get 0 to 2 wrong per PT). I went back and looked at all my wrong answers to learn from my mistakes; I also did this for about half the right answers. I noted which types I got wrong and drilled myself on them more. After this period of drilling and learning techniques, I spent the last 3 weeks working through timed PTs. I scored in the 166-170 range. On test day, I got a 167. Part of me wants to blame the proctors at the front of the room who were chatting audibly (it was an overseas site), but I also think I wasn't 100% ready.

I followed the expert advice on self-studying but I think I made some mistakes: I didn't take PTs all in 1 sitting, I didn't add a fifth "experimental" section, I kind of skimmed some of the LR bible, and I think I didn't leave enough weeks solely for PT's.

I understand the PS and TM are the best. I really want to get a 170 - 173 to have a shot at T7 schools. I feel like I've gotten all I can out of self-studying and that a class might help me by: 1) forcing me to learn techniques in greater depth, 2) forcing me into taking more PTs and taking them under under test-day conditions.

Other considerations: Money is not a problem, but time is. I'd take classes from Oct-Nov for the Dec test day. I might have a job starting in Oct that would prevent me from taking classes. I could delay it if I knew the class would really help, but I'd prefer not to.

Do you think that classes would benefit me, or have I studied enough that I'm probably reaching my natural upper limit on LSAT scoring?

kahechsof

Bronze

Re: Would I benefit from PS / TM classes?

Post by kahechsof » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:35 pm

T7?

marcellus

Bronze

Post by marcellus » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:43 pm

T7 = Michigan/Penn or higher ranked school.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:50 pm

This feels like an LSAT writing prompt.

OP: Since money is no problem, take the class. Worst case scenario you don't get anything out of it and score the same. I considered re-taking last February and took 4 PTs beforehand. I scored 166-170, just like you, after getting 166 on the real thing in October. I figured I was close to maxed out, but after looking at my options I broke down and went for Testmasters. After getting a 178 on the real thing in June, I'm glad I did. Brought the T7 into play for sure.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”