October or December Test? Please Help

Tango

October or December Test? Please Help

Postby Tango » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:52 am

OK, I have been studying for almost a week and I am more than halfway through the LR PowerScore book. I am however, catching on quite well. I have not touched the LG or RC yet and am studying about 5 hours a day. My diagnostic was a horrible 142, but did not perform near my potential at all. I have about 4 weeks to study and I currently am not working so I have time to put in. The catch is I will be starting a full-time job and taking a few classes as well. The job does not start until after the October LSAT. Is it worth taking the October test without working or should I take more time to study, work full-time and take the December test around finals? I was thinking since I have about a week to decide before the deadline to change the test date, that I will take a PT tomorrow and if I get in the mid 150's, take the October. If I get anything lower than that, I change the date. What do you guys think? Thanks!

nmare

Re: October or December Test? Please Help

Postby nmare » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:58 am

December

totaltest.milan

Postby totaltest.milan » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:51 am

It depends when you're applying to law school. If you're looking to be in law school by fall '12 then (depending on the school) you might be better of taking the Oct test because of rolling admissions. Once again, this depends on the school and it depends on whether or not you're gonna do better with the extra time studying for it. If you're not applying for next year then the suggestion I give to all my students is to take the test when they've prepared for it as well as they can. No point in rushing it, your score is a very important part of your application.

That being said there are a lot of variables, how well are you improving?, how quickly are you moving through the material?, how many preptests will you be able to take?, how good of a reader are you? In addition to actually learning the concepts, strategies, and approaches to all the different questions on the test a big part of your improvement is going to come through doing a bunch of preptests under timed conditions - that's how you develop the stamina, focus, and intuition that you're gonna need on test day. Take a look at my website, I have a free ebook (170+ pages) that covers these topics along with all the other aspects of the test, and might give you useful info in addition to the stuff you're working on.

Tango

Postby Tango » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:27 pm

Yes, I plan to attend fall '12. I will be applying to Loyola, Pepperdine, and Southerwestern. I think I will be able to take advantage of the free time without working right now, but my time frame seems very short compared to the average time people typically study. I will be taking my first PT since studying tonight and plan on taking at least two a week thereafter. Rolling admissions is another key factor in applying after the Oct. test and I feel gives applicants a great advantage. I am jumping from LR to LG since that was a very weak part of my low score on the diagnostic. If not for that, I probably would've scored in the mid 150's. We shall see tonight and how I do. Thanks for the advice and I will post my new score in hopes to help anyone else in the same situation.

joshceo

Postby joshceo » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:59 pm

If you are the type of person that can put in a solid 5 to 6 hours a day in studying, I think you can dominate LR and RC by test time, though you may lag behind in games. Either way, I went from a rock-bottom diagnostic to a -3 average on both LR and RC in 6 weeks of CRAZY INTENSE studying with PowerScore materials and dozens of PT's (I used sections of these PT's, but did not complete them timed). Now I have all of September to take timed PT's, and I've hit 173, 168, and 170 on the first three timed PT's I recently completed (PT 30-32). Good luck. Basically, I'm saying that in the next month you can get to where I am today. You won't be able to take a lot of timed PT's perhaps, but you should have enough LR and RC practice to get a 160 WITHOUT completing hardly any of the games section, although you'll easily pick up several points in games even if you choose D for every answer. But you will have to get intense with LR and RC. Just my experience thus far.

jperez21

Postby jperez21 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:36 am

IMO you should reconsider your strategy. I was in this same scenario too just a few days ago and I was studying for over 3 weeks. I don't know how busy your schedule may be. However, I would strongly suggest to think about what your doing. You are basically trying to cram this test and that's probably the worst thing you can do with perhaps the most important test of your educational career.

Personally, I already had scheduled for 10/1/11 and yesterday the pressure was building up to the point I had doubted I myself. Really thought things through and rescheduled for December, I feel better now going into the test knowing I did my best and put the recommended time into studying for it. I don't plan on taking it twice.

Tango

Postby Tango » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:43 pm

I probably could cram and come out with a decent score, but that's not what I want. I know I can score very high because how I grasp everything I've studied so far in such a short time frame. I don't want to move it to December, especially because rolling admissions, but I figure a higher score will outweigh applying early. I will move it to December. Thanks for some very solid advice from everyone. Much appreciated!

jperez21

Postby jperez21 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:41 am

Tango wrote:I probably could cram and come out with a decent score, but that's not what I want. I know I can score very high because how I grasp everything I've studied so far in such a short time frame. I don't want to move it to December, especially because rolling admissions, but I figure a higher score will outweigh applying early. I will move it to December. Thanks for some very solid advice from everyone. Much appreciated!

Good stuff, you made the right choice. How are you studying? I have the Powerscore bibles and went thru them, it laid a good foundation for a few weeks. However, sometimes I felt as if I was lost and didn't have a good study plan. Basically I was all over the place. I really needed something that can build me some skills from the ground up. Now with the extra time I enrolled in Blueprint the movie and just finished lesson 1. Blown away by the clarity and fun factor build in this course, I'm really enjoying it. Honestly, I feel it is going to be a great investment for the potential scholarship money a few extra points can land me. Just a thought of looking into some prep course guidance if you feel this way.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”