Testing without a watch Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
cogitoergosum

Silver

Testing without a watch

Post by cogitoergosum » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:43 pm

I have found that I consistently score better without a watch in front of me. I would plan to do this test day except I am concerned my proctor could forget to call 5 mins, in which case I might be disadvantaged. What would you guys do? I'm leaning toward going blind without the watch.

Dany

Diamond

Re: Testing without a watch

Post by Dany » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:49 pm

It all depends on you. I wouldn't be caught dead without a watch on test day, but if you score better without one, don't bring it. Just know that proctors may forget to call time, or might call it too early or too late.

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:52 pm

I used one both times I took it, wouldn't think of not using it.

You can't trust the proctors to announce 5 minutes (I never had a problem with this, but you never though) but more importantly you can't trust your internal clock to be that accurate.

cogitoergosum

Silver

Post by cogitoergosum » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:10 pm

Dany wrote:It all depends on you. I wouldn't be caught dead without a watch on test day, but if you score better without one, don't bring it. Just know that proctors may forget to call time, or might call it too early or too late.
But if they call time too early/too late, I will have no recourse whether I have a watch or not. Correct?

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:12 pm

cogitoergosum wrote:
Dany wrote:It all depends on you. I wouldn't be caught dead without a watch on test day, but if you score better without one, don't bring it. Just know that proctors may forget to call time, or might call it too early or too late.
But if they call time too early/too late, I will have no recourse whether I have a watch or not. Correct?
Nope. They will end at 35 mins no matter what. Making sure each test-taker gets the proper amount of time is more important than whether or not the 5-minute-warning procedure is observed.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:15 pm

cogitoergosum wrote:
I meant if they approximate and call 5 minutes remaining a bit early or late, your timing could get screwed up. That won't happen if you have a watch.

CHIJAMES11

New

Post by CHIJAMES11 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:05 pm

I know how you feel. I turn my watch away from me and only look at it at certain intervals throughout the exam. I usually don't look at my watch until Q 15 to see if i am around 15-18 minutes. Then at the end to see how much time I have to go over questions I skipped and review ones I have circled for a different perspective. Point of the story, I keep my watch out of my view or at least not pointing right at me so it seems like it is not there. I try to zone in on the test. Good luck.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”