Just started studying for LSAT - Dec or Feb?

December or February?

December
7
88%
February
1
13%
 
Total votes: 8

Donnis
Posts: 44
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:55 pm

Just started studying for LSAT - Dec or Feb?

Postby Donnis » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:21 pm

I am just beginning to start studying for the LSAT. Right now I am unemployed and can devote full-time to studying. However, that may change and could either be working full or part-time.

Which would be a wiser choice for me to take? December or February LSAT? Reason I am asking is that I want to enroll in a course and in order to do so I need to decide which month would be best to take it. I want to take the course a month or two immediately before the exam.

User avatar
Moomoo2u
Posts: 349
Joined: Mon May 17, 2010 3:38 am

Re: Just started studying for LSAT - Dec or Feb?

Postby Moomoo2u » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:27 pm

Donnis wrote:I am just beginning to start studying for the LSAT. Right now I am unemployed and can devote full-time to studying. However, that may change and could either be working full or part-time.

Which would be a wiser choice for me to take? December or February LSAT? Reason I am asking is that I want to enroll in a course and in order to do so I need to decide which month would be best to take it. I want to take the course a month or two immediately before the exam.


what are you scoring?

Donnis
Posts: 44
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:55 pm

Re: Just started studying for LSAT - Dec or Feb?

Postby Donnis » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:30 pm

Moomoo2u wrote:
Donnis wrote:I am just beginning to start studying for the LSAT. Right now I am unemployed and can devote full-time to studying. However, that may change and could either be working full or part-time.

Which would be a wiser choice for me to take? December or February LSAT? Reason I am asking is that I want to enroll in a course and in order to do so I need to decide which month would be best to take it. I want to take the course a month or two immediately before the exam.


what are you scoring?


That is the thing - I just started. Been researching if law school is right for me and I've decided it's something I want to pursue.

If you recall my thread that you posted in from last night, my UGPA is a 2.58. I know it is trash and top 100 is out of the question but I am still pursuing regardless.

I have just started reading the methods behind the types of questions and fooled around with some practice questions but have yet to take an diagnostic or practice tests.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13917
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Just started studying for LSAT - Dec or Feb?

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:33 pm

Donnis wrote:
Moomoo2u wrote:
Donnis wrote:I am just beginning to start studying for the LSAT. Right now I am unemployed and can devote full-time to studying. However, that may change and could either be working full or part-time.

Which would be a wiser choice for me to take? December or February LSAT? Reason I am asking is that I want to enroll in a course and in order to do so I need to decide which month would be best to take it. I want to take the course a month or two immediately before the exam.


what are you scoring?


That is the thing - I just started. Been researching if law school is right for me and I've decided it's something I want to pursue.

If you recall my thread that you posted in from last night, my UGPA is a 2.58. I know it is trash and top 100 is out of the question but I am still pursuing regardless.

I have just started reading the methods behind the types of questions and fooled around with some practice questions but have yet to take an diagnostic or practice tests.
Top 100 is not out of the question by any means. You won't get T10, but certainly T20 is within the realm of possibility with a high enough LSAT score. I know of a ~2.7 white guy who got into a low T14 because of his 176.

Donnis
Posts: 44
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:55 pm

Re: Just started studying for LSAT - Dec or Feb?

Postby Donnis » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:37 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Donnis wrote:
Moomoo2u wrote:
Donnis wrote:I am just beginning to start studying for the LSAT. Right now I am unemployed and can devote full-time to studying. However, that may change and could either be working full or part-time.

Which would be a wiser choice for me to take? December or February LSAT? Reason I am asking is that I want to enroll in a course and in order to do so I need to decide which month would be best to take it. I want to take the course a month or two immediately before the exam.


what are you scoring?


That is the thing - I just started. Been researching if law school is right for me and I've decided it's something I want to pursue.

If you recall my thread that you posted in from last night, my UGPA is a 2.58. I know it is trash and top 100 is out of the question but I am still pursuing regardless.

I have just started reading the methods behind the types of questions and fooled around with some practice questions but have yet to take an diagnostic or practice tests.
Top 100 is not out of the question by any means. You won't get T10, but certainly T20 is within the realm of possibility with a high enough LSAT score. I know of a ~2.7 white guy who got into a low T14 because of his 176.


Thank you for the inspiration. Some people are very harsh when they see my GPA and say it's not worth trying and I won't get into any worthwhile schools. How did you friend prep and how long did he prep for?

User avatar
Moomoo2u
Posts: 349
Joined: Mon May 17, 2010 3:38 am

Re: Just started studying for LSAT - Dec or Feb?

Postby Moomoo2u » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:38 pm

Get as high of an LSAT as you can. I would first take a diagnostic and then think about how much you need to improve before test day and take your calculations of when you take a course from there.

There is NO rush to go to law school and even if you were to apply in October, unless you had an outstanding 175+ score you would be applying too late. You have until next september to get a really good score, do it!

Donnis
Posts: 44
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:55 pm

Re: Just started studying for LSAT - Dec or Feb?

Postby Donnis » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:39 pm

Moomoo2u wrote:Get as high of an LSAT as you can. I would first take a diagnostic and then think about how much you need to improve before test day and take your calculations of when you take a course from there.

There is NO rush to go to law school and even if you were to apply in October, unless you had an outstanding 175+ score you would be applying too late. You have until next september to get a really good score, do it!


Yes, I am applying in 2012. So I supposed I have 4 chances to take the LSAT but I would only like to limit it to 2, maximum 3 times. Seems as if that is the general consensus.

User avatar
Moomoo2u
Posts: 349
Joined: Mon May 17, 2010 3:38 am

Re: Just started studying for LSAT - Dec or Feb?

Postby Moomoo2u » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:42 pm

yup, i wouldn't take it early unless you are really sure you are going to do well. A single 178 looks better than a 160,168,178

bp shinners
Posts: 3091
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:05 pm

Re: Just started studying for LSAT - Dec or Feb?

Postby bp shinners » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:28 pm

Donnis wrote:Yes, I am applying in 2012.


Most places start classes for the December LSAT sometime around the administration of the October LSAT (our classes start up on the day of the October LSAT). However, the course for December is on a faster schedule since there are only two months of prep time. If you want a more intense course over a shorter period of time, then this is great. If you're going to be working full/part-time, then this is not so great. Since you say you're not applying until 2012, I would say wait until the February LSAT; in fact, I'd probably recommend the June LSAT because I wouldn't want to take a non-disclosed exam.

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15508
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Just started studying for LSAT - Dec or Feb?

Postby Tiago Splitter » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:04 pm

bp shinners wrote: in fact, I'd probably recommend the June LSAT because I wouldn't want to take a non-disclosed exam.


+1. February test sucks because you won't have any idea how well you did on each section. You get your scaled score, and that's it. You have plenty of time until the December test, so concentrate on taking that one and if things come up, delay.

User avatar
bport hopeful
Posts: 4913
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:09 pm

Re: Just started studying for LSAT - Dec or Feb?

Postby bport hopeful » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:16 pm

In most cases, I would say three months is plenty of time, but with that GPA, you really need to kill that test.

I know this sounds shitty, but if this is something you really want to pursue, if the Dec/Feb tests are murdered, even taking another year and devoting like six solid months to it. With that kind of time, you could achieve great things.

This sounds like gut wrenching advice, and I normally wouldnt give it, but that GPA is really gunna hurt you otherwise.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alexandros, Instrumental, Pozzo and 7 guests