Need Stamina/Games help!!!

jared6180

Need Stamina/Games help!!!

Postby jared6180 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:26 am

Here is my story thus far...

Took a PT at home, un-timed about a year ago, and was right about 165, with Logic game problems. Then I took a PT at school timed and dropped to a 142. I decided to give up on law for a bit, but this summer decided it was my dream, and I should just put the past behind me. Took another PT at school last week, and got a 138 this time, so I am getting progressively worse! I was not in the best frame of mind when I took the PT this last time, baby momma drama...literally. Did worse on the Reading Comp section, which was my best section in my previous PT. Got 14% correct on games. 35% correct on Reading Comp. and 60% and 55% on the Logic sections. What my pre-law advisor found odd was that I started the first Logic section at about 65% accuracy and then in the last 35% of the section went down to about 10%, he thought that was a sign of fatigue...until I did the next Logic section at 70% accuracy for the first 65%, and again, dropped all the way down to getting 2 of the last 9 questions correct.

His advise was to study logic games, and don't study anything else until I get logic games...the part I most fear!

Any advise on this? The only thing I can come up with is obviously studying the LG and trying to build stamina in a test taking situation. Guess I may not be going to WUSTL if this keeps up!

JamMasterJ

Re: Need Stamina/Games help!!!

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:34 am

jared6180 wrote:Here is my story thus far...

Took a PT at home, un-timed about a year ago, and was right about 165, with Logic game problems. Then I took a PT at school timed and dropped to a 142. I decided to give up on law for a bit, but this summer decided it was my dream, and I should just put the past behind me. Took another PT at school last week, and got a 138 this time, so I am getting progressively worse! I was not in the best frame of mind when I took the PT this last time, baby momma drama...literally. Did worse on the Reading Comp section, which was my best section in my previous PT. Got 14% correct on games. 35% correct on Reading Comp. and 60% and 55% on the Logic sections. What my pre-law advisor found odd was that I started the first Logic section at about 65% accuracy and then in the last 35% of the section went down to about 10%, he thought that was a sign of fatigue...until I did the next Logic section at 70% accuracy for the first 65%, and again, dropped all the way down to getting 2 of the last 9 questions correct.

His advise was to study logic games, and don't study anything else until I get logic games...the part I most fear!

Any advise on this? The only thing I can come up with is obviously studying the LG and trying to build stamina in a test taking situation. Guess I may not be going to WUSTL if this keeps up!

don't do this. You need a lot of work everywhere, not just in LG. Go through a class or use the Powerscore Bibles or Manhattan's guides in conjunction with drilling the question types you're working with in the book. Do this for LG and LR and drill RC until you have a consistent method of approach/marking/answering questions. Don't focus on one section to the complete exclusion of the others.

jared6180

Postby jared6180 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:55 pm

So what is the "best" way to study? one subject at a time? an hour on LG, an hour on RC, an hour on LR???

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:56 pm

jared6180 wrote:So what is the "best" way to study? one subject at a time? an hour on LG, an hour on RC, an hour on LR???

It depends on how much time you have per day, but I tend to only do one or two subjects per day.

joshceo

Postby joshceo » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:01 am

If you want serious games help, I suggest you develop your baseline skills using the LG Bible, then go to the ScenarioSolver website to see video tutorials of every released LSAT game, and advanced diagramming methods that allow for perfect game scores. Games may appear as difficult as learning Chinese, at first, but you can learn them and eventually achieve perfect scores.

jared6180

Postby jared6180 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:08 am

joshceo wrote:If you want serious games help, I suggest you develop your baseline skills using the LG Bible, then go to the ScenarioSolver website to see video tutorials of every released LSAT game, and advanced diagramming methods that allow for perfect game scores. Games may appear as difficult as learning Chinese, at first, but you can learn them and eventually achieve perfect scores.

That is exactly what it looks like to me. Logical reasoning is one thing, these games are just ridiculous, but obviously necessary. I have a Kaplan book, but I hear far more positive comments about the LG Bible.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:09 am

jared6180 wrote:
joshceo wrote:If you want serious games help, I suggest you develop your baseline skills using the LG Bible, then go to the ScenarioSolver website to see video tutorials of every released LSAT game, and advanced diagramming methods that allow for perfect game scores. Games may appear as difficult as learning Chinese, at first, but you can learn them and eventually achieve perfect scores.

That is exactly what it looks like to me. Logical reasoning is one thing, these games are just ridiculous, but obviously necessary. I have a Kaplan book, but I hear far more positive comments about the LG Bible.

You may need some private tutoring, at least to start out

jared6180

Postby jared6180 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:32 am

private tutoring probably would not hurt me, but affording it may be difficult. I know I will reap the rewards in a higher LSAT and thus the possibility of higher scholly $$$, but the upfront cost can be rough, I imagine these tutors are $50-100/hr, based on Kaplan and others prices...but I also don't want to be tutored by someone that got a 170...when I want to get a 170-175, I know that sounds far fetched at this point, but it is a goal.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:39 am

jared6180 wrote:private tutoring probably would not hurt me, but affording it may be difficult. I know I will reap the rewards in a higher LSAT and thus the possibility of higher scholly $$$, but the upfront cost can be rough, I imagine these tutors are $50-100/hr, based on Kaplan and others prices...but I also don't want to be tutored by someone that got a 170...when I want to get a 170-175, I know that sounds far fetched at this point, but it is a goal.

to be fair, you're not at the point to be thinking about a 175 yet. It's like not wanting to take an elementary science class from someone with a bachelor's in bio b/c you want to eventually get a PhD. Where are you located? you can PM me if you want but I may know who you should get in contact with depending on your location, $ and goal.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”