Improving upon a 172--RC Help??

Postby jkupps2415 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:29 am

Hello all!

I recently scored a 172 on PT53. My breakdown was:

LR1: -1
LR2: -2
LG: -0
RC: -6

Since I know through research that Logic Games are the easiest to improve upon, and Reading Comprehension is the hardest, I was wondering if you all think it is possible to improve my score at all between now and October 1? I haven't really employed any strategy when it comes to RC, but was considering using the Powerscore or Manhattan methods--any feedback on which is better?

Thanks a lot for any feedback/advice on this. I have a 3.1 GPA, so I really need to do well in order to place T14.

thelong

Re: Improving upon a 172--RC Help??

Postby thelong » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:54 am

First of all, how do you approach RC? Can you give me a break down of how you approach each passage, including how you read the passage, what you mark/if you mark? What kinds of questions are you getting wrong?

luxxe

Postby luxxe » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:41 am

Manhattan's RC guide really helped me improve. I went from -4/-5 to -1/-2. Also, drilling RC sections. The question types/wrong answers get really predictable pretty fast.

Moomoo2u

Postby Moomoo2u » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:32 am

are you running out of time or simply getting them wrong? What types of passages are you getting wrong? What types of questions? You need to analyze it more thoroughly before anyone can really give you anything beyond general advice.

jkupps2415

Postby jkupps2415 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:20 pm

Moomoo2u wrote:are you running out of time or simply getting them wrong? What types of passages are you getting wrong? What types of questions? You need to analyze it more thoroughly before anyone can really give you anything beyond general advice.

I find myself barely running out of time, as in maybe rushing through the last two questions and sometimes having to blindly guess on one of them just to get in answer down.

In terms of the type of passages, I think the legal and science related ones give me the most trouble, but this isn't always the case. I currently have absolutely no marking system whatsoever, and basically just read the passage and try to answer the questions through pure memory or by referring back to the passage quickly.

Is there a system of notation that you all recommend? I looked at the Powerscore ViewSTAMP system, but it just didn't really click for me and I was doubtful because it seems to take too long. I am considering purchasing the Manhattan RC book--how do you all feel about that system? Are there any others that may be better? THANKS!

jkupps2415

Postby jkupps2415 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:33 pm

BUMPAROOSKI!

Obelisk18

Postby Obelisk18 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:01 am

I just started this LSAT studying process a few weeks ago (I'm taking in October) and I consistently get -0 on RC. Here are my thoughts. I don't think it makes much sense to spend too much time with one question. Cross out what you can, as quickly as possible, and then mark your best guess (which will be less of a guess as you become more familiar with the section) and move on. Maybe this is just a peculiarity of my mind, but I find I'm much more comfortable really tackling difficult reading comprehension questions on a second pass. I mark the questions I'm unsure about, and then examine the 2 or 3 choices I haven't crossed out (on the first pass, I mark an answer, but I leave the answers I haven't absolutely ruled out uncrossed). Start with the answer choices on the second pass, unless you weren't able to rule out anything and just wildly guessed- that, is probably an indication you've misread the question or its implications and ought to start there.

Since you're struggling with time, I'd recommend a kind of tiered marking system. A simple one will do. 1 and 2 perhaps. A 2 means you're genuinely unsure and a 1 means you feel reasonably confident but would like some more time to rule out the tempting alternatives. This sort of system has the advantage of not penalizing overmarking. If you have 5 minutes left at the end of the section, and you've simply circled 10 questions, you're likely to spend at least a little of that "second pass" time going over answers you almost certainly got right. There's nothing wrong with this, if you have time to spare, but it's better to prioritize.

So here's what a typical CR might look like.

6-8 minutes reading the passages.

45 seconds a piece for 20 of the questions, maybe one or two of which you've marked as "fairly sure" (15 minutes)

1 minute a piece for 7 of the questions, all of which you've marked "unsure" or "challenging" (7 minutes)

7 to 9 minutes on second pass reviewing, prioritizing by tackling the tougher questions first.

The alternative seems to be.

7-10 minutes reading the passages (because your insecurity makes you determined to cram every last detail in your head).

45 seconds a piece for 20 of the questions, one or two of which you've circled (15 minutes)

1 minute and 30 seconds a piece for 7 questions, all of which you've circled (10 and 1/2 minutes)

Which leaves you basically, at best, with a minute or two to very haphazardly review your circled choices.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”