in need of LG help

rachue

in need of LG help

Postby rachue » Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:54 pm

Hey guys,

I'm doing decently on the other sections, but LG is really getting me down. I understand how to do them, just not quickly enough (I'd say about 50% of the time on my prep tests I have to guess on at least 3 due to lack of time). Would you have any tips? Already I'm trying to drill as much as possible but for some reason I can't seem to get my time down.

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by rachue on Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rinkrat19

Re: LG help

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:59 pm

There are people who will be far better able to help than I, but how long does it take you to set up your diagrams for a game? Are you able to quickly set up a diagram that you can then use for the entire game with relatively few changes, or are you drawing something up for each question?

rachue

Re: LG help

Postby rachue » Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:01 pm

it depends on the game. if it's an easier one to set up, perhaps in 2-3 minutes. if it's one of those killer games, then maybe 5, although i probably won't be certain with it even then still but just know i really need to move on to be able to try and even finish on time. i generally don't have to redo my set ups once i've started the game.

lrslayer

Re: in need of LG help

Postby lrslayer » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:12 pm

rachue wrote:Hey guys,

I'm doing decently on the other sections, but LG is really getting me down. I understand how to do them, just not quickly enough (I'd say about 50% of the time on my prep tests I have to guess on at least 3 due to lack of time). Would you have any tips? Already I'm trying to drill as much as possible but for some reason I can't seem to get my time down.

Thanks in advance.

You really need to remember to keep your pencil moving! If you have the basics down but are having trouble thinking about implications of a rule on a certain question, just try the different answer choices. I rarely get all the implications of a game but never stop writing and now I am at a -0 more often than not. Most important is to not get stuck thinking too much. Hence, keep your pencil moving! Good luck.

rachue

Postby rachue » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:21 pm

Thanks lrslayer! I appreciate the encouragement. What do you do if you get to one of those really rare, difficult games? Do you skip over it and come back later or do you just try to go at it right then?

joshceo

Postby joshceo » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:06 am

A simple answer to all LG issues: ScenarioSolver Google it, sign up for it, study it, and thank me later.

TrojanHopeful

Postby TrojanHopeful » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:57 am

Make copies of games and do them over and over. You'll get used to seeing certain inferences, which will make new inferences in other games come quicker. This is what happened to me at least.

lrslayer

Postby lrslayer » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:09 pm

rachue wrote:Thanks lrslayer! I appreciate the encouragement. What do you do if you get to one of those really rare, difficult games? Do you skip over it and come back later or do you just try to go at it right then?

The rare games are the optimal ones for using the "keep your pencil moving" method. They don't have obvious inferences like the run of the mill sequencing and grouping games so you really need to just keep working. Also, rare games are rare. So, don't stress too much. I think the advice about making copies and doing tons of games is important too. My method of doing the "local if/then" questions first then moving on to the "global could be/must be" questions is only useful if it is mechanical to you. Therefore, you need to use it several times until its second nature. I hope this helps.

cfrob14

Postby cfrob14 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:21 pm

lrslayer wrote:
rachue wrote:Hey guys,

Thanks in advance.

You really need to remember to keep your pencil moving! If you have the basics down but are having trouble thinking about implications of a rule on a certain question, just try the different answer choices. I rarely get all the implications of a game but never stop writing and now I am at a -0 more often than not. Most important is to not get stuck thinking too much. Hence, keep your pencil moving! Good luck.

This is exactly right. I rarely puzzle over deductions anymore. Just keep working out scenarios and making templates. I'm consistently -0 on LG now. They only other advice I can give concerns games that have a lot of conditional statements. Make sure you try to form long chains with the rules because there's always 2 or 3 rules that you can link. Do the same for the contrapositives.

Other than that, just do as many games as possible. If you can handle the games in older tests (PTs 20-40, also PTs A, B, and C), the recent ones will seem like a joke.

rachue

Postby rachue » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:02 pm

cfrob14 wrote:
Other than that, just do as many games as possible. If you can handle the games in older tests (PTs 20-40, also PTs A, B, and C), the recent ones will seem like a joke.

Thanks for the advice! But what are PTs A, B, and C?

Also thanks to everyone else! I'm going to try your tips this week. I really appreciate the help!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”