Honest Opnion

thenerd

Re: Honest Opnion

Postby thenerd » Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:51 pm

Day for paradox questions today 29/34:85% accuracy.
It was helpful to know that these questions will have stimuli with no conclusion and just collection of facts.
<3 PS Bible

Ocean64

Postby Ocean64 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:29 am

since the test is in about 4 weeks, after you finish the bibles you might wanna focus on the most frequently occurring LR questions on the test which will give you more bang for the buck as far as prep time is concerned, and according to Testmasters statistics they are as follows from June 91 to December 2008:

1. Strengthen, Assumption, Justify (3 combined) = 26.5%
2. Method of reasoning, Flaw in the reasoning = 17.5%
3. Must be True = 14.2%
4. Weaken = 10.8%
5. Parallel = 7.9%
6. Resolve = 6.9%
7. Main Point = 4.7%
8. Point at Issue = 2.9%
9. Argument Part = 2.5%
everything else is less than 2% each

so if you decide to prioritize, it would be a good idea to do the top 3-6 most common question types which if you do master, will give you considerable advantage come test day.

thenerd

Postby thenerd » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:11 am

Ocean64 wrote:since the test is in about 4 weeks, after you finish the bibles you might wanna focus on the most frequently occurring LR questions on the test which will give you more bang for the buck as far as prep time is concerned, and according to Testmasters statistics they are as follows from June 91 to December 2008:

1. Strengthen, Assumption, Justify (3 combined) = 26.5%
2. Method of reasoning, Flaw in the reasoning = 17.5%
3. Must be True = 14.2%
4. Weaken = 10.8%
5. Parallel = 7.9%
6. Resolve = 6.9%
7. Main Point = 4.7%
8. Point at Issue = 2.9%
9. Argument Part = 2.5%
everything else is less than 2% each

Thanks Ocean 64.The above info is so good.Great help :)

thenerd

Postby thenerd » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:38 pm

Must be true questions.
18/26:69% accuracy.

Difficulty level 4 questions were tough.
Good to know like CBT questions there will be no conclusion.Also,close read is crucial because sometimes the TCR is a re-statement of the part of the stimuli.
Also,must be true EXCEPT= must be false

Hope I use all the inferences while attempting the PTs. :wink:

Ocean64

Postby Ocean64 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:37 pm

thenerd wrote:Must be true questions.

Good to know like CBT questions there will be no conclusion.Also,close read is crucial because sometimes the TCR is a re-statement of the part of the stimuli.

No. Must be true EXCEPT = not necessarily true. 4 wrong answer will be MBT and the one correct answer will be not necessarily true (anywhere between could be true and CBT). anyway, these questions are rare.

thenerd

Postby thenerd » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:59 am

Ocean64 wrote:
thenerd wrote:Must be true questions.

No. Must be true EXCEPT = not necessarily true. 4 wrong answer will be MBT and the one correct answer will be not necessarily true (anywhere between could be true and CBT). anyway, these questions are rare.

I thought that too.May be looking for must be false AC in the Except made it confusing.

thenerd

Postby thenerd » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:57 am

Logic Game day-

Done 12 games.
Ordering-7
Hybrid- 3
Misc-2

28/45= 62%accuracy.

Musical pieces and bus seat game got me really bad.Also,the store light game.
Redoing them in next 3-4 days.Most of the games took 10 mins.Need to work on timing definitely.

Unbelievable how while reviewing all answers and inferences fall in place :o

thenerd

Postby thenerd » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:06 pm

Parallel Argument-
30/42 = 71%

Doing a bunch of PA questions made these questions easier to handle.

thenerd

Postby thenerd » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:09 pm

RC passages-

Social Science-2
Law-1
Hmanities-3
Natural Science-1

Average passage reading time 3.5 minutes.
Average completion time for 1 passage- 10.1 min :x
Accracy 65%

FantasticMrFox

Postby FantasticMrFox » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:40 pm

DOES THE "OPNION" BOTHER ANYONE ELSE?! :x :evil:

thenerd wrote:I need some honest opnion

It wasn't just the title either...

thenerd

Postby thenerd » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:18 pm

While reviewing the LR questions I get wrong in the PT,I realized in 2-3 questions I picked an answer choice without reading all the ACs.I know for LG this method is good and definitely not for RCs.But I am unsure if I should use this strategy for the 1-10 questions or 20-25 questions in LR.Most of the time this strategy works.Also,is their a certain answer type that we should/shouldn't try this strategy.e.g. in LG for could be true if I can pick one of the ACs right,I should pick that answer and move on.

Pls advice.thanks!!

thenerd

Postby thenerd » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:22 pm

e.g. I chose choice C for q25 and never read a and b.
( I read AC from e to a :roll: )
and c made total sense to me.. :(

totaltest.milan

Postby totaltest.milan » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:55 pm

In general you don't want to pick an answer for the LR without having read all of the choices. The reason for that is because the test-makers are very good at making answer choices that are very attractive but incorrect. Usually it's some variation of a subtle shift in one of the key concepts. So you really want to read all the choices if you have the time.

That being said there are a couple of question types where it's ok to not read all of the choices. The first one are questions that are based on formal logic, the ones with "all", "none", "some", etc. Here the correct answer choice has to be true objectively so if you find it it's ok to go on to the next choice. Even so, these tend to be tricky and I still tell my students to read all the choices. The other question types also tend to be a bit more formal in nature. So for example parallel reasoning questions can also be done like this if you feel that you've found the choice where the premises, conclusion, and validity match. Likewise with questions that use conditional reasoning (must be true questions generally) where you're simply building conditional chains or making contrapositives.

Bottom line, questions that involve more formal reasoning can be done without reading all of the answer choices but it's a much better idea to get into the habit of reading all of the choices rather than trying to figure out which ones you can do with just reading a couple.

cany

Postby cany » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:49 am

totaltest.milan wrote:In general you don't want to pick an answer for the LR without having read all of the choices. The reason for that is because the test-makers are very good at making answer choices that are very attractive but incorrect. Usually it's some variation of a subtle shift in one of the key concepts. So you really want to read all the choices if you have the time.

That being said there are a couple of question types where it's ok to not read all of the choices. The first one are questions that are based on formal logic, the ones with "all", "none", "some", etc. Here the correct answer choice has to be true objectively so if you find it it's ok to go on to the next choice. Even so, these tend to be tricky and I still tell my students to read all the choices. The other question types also tend to be a bit more formal in nature. So for example parallel reasoning questions can also be done like this if you feel that you've found the choice where the premises, conclusion, and validity match. Likewise with questions that use conditional reasoning (must be true questions generally) where you're simply building conditional chains or making contrapositives.

Bottom line, questions that involve more formal reasoning can be done without reading all of the answer choices but it's a much better idea to get into the habit of reading all of the choices rather than trying to figure out which ones you can do with just reading a couple.

+1

thenerd

Postby thenerd » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:29 am

First: 141
Oct :149

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:01 am

thenerd wrote:First: 141
Oct :149

When was your first?

cany

Postby cany » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:12 am

Are you taking it again?

thenerd

Postby thenerd » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:16 am

I took the first official test in Dec 2010.
No,I am not taking the test again. even though I might be the lowest scorer on TLS.

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:23 am

thenerd wrote:I took the first official test in Dec 2010.
No,I am not taking the test again. even though I might be the lowest scorer on TLS.

Sorry to hear it. I take it you won't be pursuing law school then?

Ocean64

Postby Ocean64 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:53 pm

I'm sorry you had to go through that, but don't let it bring you down though...if you consider retaking, TLS will still be here for you :D

thenerd

Postby thenerd » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:07 am

Ocean64 wrote:I'm sorry you had to go through that, but don't let it bring you down though...if you consider retaking, TLS will still be here for you :D

I changed my mind.I want to try again.I cannot imagine my life without law school.
I will take it again in Feb.Starting again on Nov 1st.
Thanks Ocean 64 and thanks TLS...just because of u I WILL NOT give up!!

LetsGoLAW

Postby LetsGoLAW » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:31 pm

Feb: 148
Oct: 163

Yes. You can do it. Use PithyPike's study guide. Get the Bibles. Self-study. Take at least 10 PTs (at least 50 and above). Listen to some good, pumped up music. You got this. I did it. You can do it.

pizzabrosauce

Postby pizzabrosauce » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:32 pm

totaltest.milan wrote:In general you don't want to pick an answer for the LR without having read all of the choices. The reason for that is because the test-makers are very good at making answer choices that are very attractive but incorrect. Usually it's some variation of a subtle shift in one of the key concepts. So you really want to read all the choices if you have the time.

Thanks, I really liked this analysis. I could shave off a couple mins by recognizing question types to move on from.

thenerd

Postby thenerd » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:06 am

LetsGoLAW wrote:Feb: 148
Oct: 163

Yes. You can do it. Use PithyPike's study guide. Get the Bibles. Self-study. Take at least 10 PTs (at least 50 and above). Listen to some good, pumped up music. You got this. I did it. You can do it.

Congrats!!! great achievement!! YES I CAN :)

fatpeopleavenger

Postby fatpeopleavenger » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:51 am

I knew a guy who scored in his 130s on a cold diagnostic. Winded up getting mid 160s after studying for about a year. He's attending a top 10 school.

It's not impossible.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”