Modern LSATs LG

sikemenow

Modern LSATs LG

Postby sikemenow » Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:15 pm

Does anybody know whether the rarer games such as mapping, circular, pattern and process still occur on more modern LSATs (say 2000 and beyond)? In other words, would I be be better off preparing myself for more common types such as linear, grouping, hybrid, etc than spending time trying to become familiar with or master the rare games?

gaud

Re: Modern LSATs LG

Postby gaud » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:32 pm

the rare games are, well, rare. so why would you spend more of your time studying them?

not trying to be rude at all but think about what you said.... study the more common games

KevinP

Postby KevinP » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:09 am

sikemenow wrote:Does anybody know whether the rarer games such as mapping, circular, pattern and process still occur on more modern LSATs (say 2000 and beyond)? In other words, would I be be better off preparing myself for more common types such as linear, grouping, hybrid, etc than spending time trying to become familiar with or master the rare games?

The last rare game type was on PT 41 (October 2003). Rare games, by definition, don't occur frequently enough to warrant serious study. However, I would still recommend doing at least a few so that you aren't completely thrown off game-day just in case LSAC decides to get clever.

tyro

Postby tyro » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:27 am

KevinP wrote:The last rare game type was on PT 41 (October 2003). Rare games, by definition, don't occur frequently enough to warrant serious study. However, I would still recommend doing at least a few so that you aren't completely thrown off game-day just in case LSAC decides to get clever.

Ah the circular table game! That is actually one of my favorite games.
Anyway, for the OP, check out some of the rare games and just try them out they are pretty fun. Most of them are actually pretty easy. I would review the Powerscore or Blueprint chapters on rare games which are very helpful. I think it's worth reviewing. That table game has a crucial component in the basic setup that a lot of people I think missed.

The conclusion is that it's worth it to spend some time looking over the rare mapping game types just to become familiar with what you *might* see (but probably won't) just to be prepared. As Kevin stated though, don't spend TOO much time on it, just review what has been administered previously and look over the suggestions in your prep materials.

Sloth Hero

Postby Sloth Hero » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:47 am

I'd spend a considerable amount of time on them so you are not anxious about test day-- and preparing for these will definitely help you on other games as well.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:45 pm

tyro wrote:
KevinP wrote:Most of them are actually pretty easy.

This. Once you learn the 'trick' to them, the rare games are pretty easy. I personally think that's why we don't see them much any more - if you're taught/learn the trick, the game's a matter of course, but if you aren't then it's more difficult.

tyro

Postby tyro » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:54 pm

bp shinners wrote:
tyro wrote:

This. Once you learn the 'trick' to them, the rare games are pretty easy. I personally think that's why we don't see them much any more - if you're taught/learn the trick, the game's a matter of course, but if you aren't then it's more difficult.

I do remember one pretty tough one though that was featured/explained in one of my Blueprint books. I think it involved multiple cycles/seasons with changing sequences or something.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:11 pm

tyro wrote:
bp shinners wrote:
tyro wrote:

I do remember one pretty tough one though that was featured/explained in one of my Blueprint books. I think it involved multiple cycles/seasons with changing sequences or something.

The one with the Scottish clans competing, or something like that? Yeah, again, very difficult. Until you learn the trick on how to figure out the cycle (abstract from the actual clans competing and just use variables to later replace with the clans). Then, it becomes fairly simple.

glucose101

Postby glucose101 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:20 pm

Go through them once or twice to get the gist. Don't agonize over it. Spend your energies on games that you know they'll ask you on and ones that you get wrong/don't setup efficiently.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”