FINALLY, had my "Aha!" moment...

uchi15hopeful

FINALLY, had my "Aha!" moment...

Postby uchi15hopeful » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:12 pm

I have been trying to prepare for the LSAT and it finally came together, today. I have been bashing my head against the wall with a very limited understanding of the LSAT (e.g. no notation strategy for RC, limited awareness of LR question types, and a "plug, plug, plug" strategy for LG). Since I was doing "pretty well" with this approach (PTs in the upper 160's), I felt that I just needed more practice; "if I just keep practicing, I'll get better".

Now I realize that I have been limiting my growth, by not taking a new tact and truly learning the test. I kind of liken this to a fighting video game where a person chooses an inherently weaker character, and just becomes as good as they can - with that character. Sure, they can become the best they can be - with that character - but they'll never beat a well-practiced superior character. I have stuck with the weaker character for far too long.

It may take awhile to get good with my new character (i.e. the approaches espoused by the bibles), but I know that - with practice - I'll be better for it.

I'm excited :)

SanDiegoJake

Re: FINALLY, had my "Aha!" moment...

Postby SanDiegoJake » Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:39 pm

That's excellent. Stick with it. To continue your analogy, I'd say that expect that the first few times you play with the new character that you will not be as effective as you were with your inferior character. But don't let that stop you - it often takes a step backward before you can take two steps forward.

uchi15hopeful

Re: FINALLY, had my "Aha!" moment...

Postby uchi15hopeful » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:29 pm

Thanks, I really appreciate that. Yeah, any time I've ever tried to change my strategy up, I've been slower (and gotten lower scores). In the past, I reverted back to my old ways. Now I realize that I need to practice my new ways until they become my old ways!

I really haven't ever been excited to study for the test, but now I'm stoked to learn the new way and get a bit quicker, each and every day.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”