Advice on when to take the LSAT

Miltenberger

Advice on when to take the LSAT

Postby Miltenberger » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:17 am

This is my first time posting, although I have been a long time reader and have benefited greatly from all of the advice posted on this board. I am registered for the October LSAT, but am considering postponing until December. I know I can achieve a substantially higher score if I give myself a few more months of study. What I am wondering is what sort of risk I will be taking with rolling admissions since my LSDAS GPA is less than 3.0. I have been scoring in the mid 160s on practice tests, but still think I will not be totally prepared come October 1st. I have been on Law School Numbers and have seen applicants from December with similar numbers (hypothetical LSAT of course) as mine gain admission to the schools I am interested in. Or would it be wise to take the October test anyways and cancel/hope for the best, knowing that I can retake in December. My target schools are Rutgers-Camden, Temple, Brooklyn, Cardozo, and American. Also, I am interested in a part time program if that makes a difference. Any advice/reassurance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

thelawschoolproject

Re: Advice on when to take the LSAT

Postby thelawschoolproject » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:56 am

My first response is for you to trust your gut. If you think you're going to bomb the LSAT in October, it is probably better to wait until December.

If you do choose to wait, I don't think you'll be hurting yourself as much as maybe you think you will. Consider the following:

1). All of your applications could be complete, minus the LSAT score by December. And, because the LSAT score will likely come out before Christmas, or at least before New Year's, your application will still be considered pretty much on time. In other words, it won't look like you're late.

2). If you can get a better score, that's more important than applying a month or so earlier.

3). No school is going to punish you for submitting your app before Christmas. They will punish you for a bad LSAT score.

Hope this helps! And, best of luck on the test!

Miltenberger

Postby Miltenberger » Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:00 pm

Thanks for the advice LawSchoolProject!

awfulawfulbunny

Postby awfulawfulbunny » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:58 pm

I'm in a similar position as you, OP. I just started studying a couple weeks ago and I scored in the low 160's on the first two practice tests I took (untimed). I'm definitely going to be waiting until December for the LSAT.

Thanks for the response, lawschoolproject!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”