Jumping Around with Logic Games?

TIKITEMBO

Jumping Around with Logic Games?

Postby TIKITEMBO » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:09 am

Last edited by TIKITEMBO on Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

bp shinners

Re: Jumping Around with Logic Games?

Postby bp shinners » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:02 pm

If you have a great setup and a neat method of organizing everything, I generally find that most students can come back and pick up where they left off, with maybe a few seconds of refreshing.

The only questions I'd really recommend ever skipping are the rule replacement ones. Those can sometimes suck up 3-4 minutes that you could otherwise spend getting 3-4 points on another game. You should be able to quickly tell (for these question types as well as others) whether or not you're making progress towards an answer or not. If you're not, and a minute or so has slipped by, it might be time to either reassess what you're doing or come back to it.

If it's not a rule replacement question, it can also help to skip it and come back to it after answering a few more of the questions on that game. For examples, if it's a could be true, you might find the answer in another question; if it's a must be true, you can probably eliminate a few after enough conditional questions.

am060459

Postby am060459 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:07 pm

TIKITEMBO wrote:So, I definitely get the standard answer when it comes to logic games that you can't really jump around when you're stuck because the questions are in a certain order/pertain to one game. But, I'm hurting on time at the moment and I think it's because I sometimes let myself get sucked into trying to solve one where I might do better if I came back to it later.

What's your strategy for this? How long do you wait before you write a question off for good in LG and how would you come back to one you had skipped? Does waiting to come back to it at the end of the section generally mean you've forgotten or that you mix up the rules?

Thanks.

i think you should be more focused on deductions and setup when tackling a game. with good deductions and a setup you can answer most questions with little effort. its usually the last question of the game that gives you a run for your money. also, dont erase your previous work (never erase your work done on previous questions as they can be used for future scenarios).

TIKITEMBO

Postby TIKITEMBO » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:44 pm

flounder

Postby flounder » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:56 pm

I am struggling with timing on LG games as well. I have found that there is often one thing that I overlooked in a question. When I was working on accuracy, I would stay on a question for 5 minutes, pulling my hair out trying to figure out the answer. After a while I would give up and continue on. Then I would come back to the question after working two other games.
I would re read the question and that one piece of info that alluded me, popped right up. Sometimes you need to cut your losses, but remember. You may not be able to get back to it.

TIKITEMBO

Postby TIKITEMBO » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:22 pm

am060459

Postby am060459 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:26 pm

i think you guys arent really deducing everything from the rules and dont have setups that try to incorporate many scenarios.

for practice i would strictly spend 10 mins deducing and setting up games (understanding some take less time). but, with this practice i got my brain to think of deductions and set ups as second nature and with practice i improved on speed.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:27 pm

am060459 wrote:i think you guys arent really deducing everything from the rules and dont have setups that try to incorporate many scenarios.

I completely agree with this - you should be spending a lot more time figuring out deductions and breaking the game into scenarios. If you do that, most questions follow from the scenarios in a straight-forward manner.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”