LSAT Accommodation? Additional Time.

FeelTheHeat

Re: LSAT Accommodation? Additional Time.

Postby FeelTheHeat » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:46 pm

Megan170 wrote:
LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:
FeelTheHeat wrote:Megan, if you haven't noticed, I pride myself on being pretty level headed and a poster most people can relate to and confide in. Unlike others who either want to get you to love or fight with them, I just want you to enjoy your experience on TLS. Shoot me a PM if you want some saner conversation!

Aww, another white knight! How cute. Megan, you're really lucky all of the decent people on TLS have found your post and the REALLY mean ones have stayed away.

Ha, yeah, I guess so. I don't really consider people finding a post and being decent human beings luck, though, or really mean ones staying away as that either. Actually, I don't consider most of the really mean ones mean, per se, just uninformed, misguided, biased, or a combination of things. What appears to be meanness comes from these things, or an added dose of insecurity! I feel genuine sorrow that they make themselves into such fools based on all of the above.

This is so true! It's refreshing to find some good ol' fashioned reason here on TLS. It can just be so upsetting at times, with jerks like neurotic

Megan170

Postby Megan170 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:47 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:
Megan170 wrote:
LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:
FeelTheHeat wrote:Megan, if you haven't noticed, I pride myself on being pretty level headed and a poster most people can relate to and confide in. Unlike others who either want to get you to love or fight with them, I just want you to enjoy your experience on TLS. Shoot me a PM if you want some saner conversation!

Aww, another white knight! How cute. Megan, you're really lucky all of the decent people on TLS have found your post and the REALLY mean ones have stayed away.

Ha, yeah, I guess so. I don't really consider people finding a post and being decent human beings luck, though, or really mean ones staying away as that either. Actually, I don't consider most of the really mean ones mean, per se, just uninformed, misguided, biased, or a combination of things. What appears to be meanness comes from these things, or an added dose of insecurity! I feel genuine sorrow that they make themselves into such fools based on all of the above.

This is so true! It's refreshing to find some good ol' fashioned reason here on TLS. It can just be so upsetting at times, with jerks like neurotic

Thank you FeeltheHeat. I like trying to examine things rationally. I guess that's why we're all here, though, hopefully :-)

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:50 pm

Just being black doesn't affect your ability to take a law school exam. Needing extra time due to a disability does. If the school does not anticipate being able to allow you extra time to take their exams, then allowing you in helps nobody, as you would be well behind the curve.

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Postby LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:52 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:

Heat, I don't know what I said to make you think I was a jerk. I am genuinely concerned about the overall nastiness that TLS users exhibit on a daily basis. What happened to good old fashioned human compassion?

Megan170

Postby Megan170 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:58 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:Just being black doesn't affect your ability to take a law school exam. Needing extra time due to a disability does. If the school does not anticipate being able to allow you extra time to take their exams, then allowing you in helps nobody, as you would be well behind the curve.

And just having a disability may or may not affect it. It's not the being black, it's the treatment by society to their extreme disadvantage for centuries, much the same way those with a disability have been treated. I would disagree that it helps nobody, but mainly due to the notion that a law school would not anticipate being "able" to do this.

dakure

Postby dakure » Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:02 pm

Megan170 wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:Just being black doesn't affect your ability to take a law school exam. Needing extra time due to a disability does. If the school does not anticipate being able to allow you extra time to take their exams, then allowing you in helps nobody, as you would be well behind the curve.

And just having a disability may or may not affect it. It's not the being black, it's the treatment by society to their extreme disadvantage for centuries, much the same way those with a disability have been treated. I would disagree that it helps nobody, but mainly due to the notion that a law school would not anticipate being "able" to do this.

Are you equating the plight of the african american to that of the disabled? I'm not saying its wrong but... ok i'm saying its wrong.

random5483

Postby random5483 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:42 pm

Schools get to decide how they treat the information from LSAC. I don't see how anything LSAC is doing is a form of discrimination. When they give you more time, they let the schools know that you received more time.

You are disabled. You are part of a protected group. You deserve some accommodation. However, other protected groups (ex. minorities) do not get extra time to take a test. The fact that you are disabled should perhaps give you an edge in law school admissions, if other things are equal. Being a minority is different from being disabled, which is why the LSAC will give you additional time (if you qualify).

Separate but equal is very different from your situation. African Americans (and other minorities to a lesser extent) did not have a choice to use the facilities offered to whites. Here, you have the choice to take the test without any extra time, and thus, the opportunity to be treated identically to the other LSAT takers. If you make the choice to take the test under "separate" conditions, then the result is not equal. You get extra time, but the schools know that you got extra time. Unlike separate but equal, here, you have the choice to not take the test under "separate" conditions.

I am not without a heart, however. I have some disabled relatives, and I know the struggles they go through. Your intent to attend law school is an admirable one. Moreover, law schools should not discriminate against you based on your disability (note that employers will "reasonably" accommodate you, but are likely to expect the same results from you as anyone else they hire). However, you cannot analogize your situation to "separate but equal."

soj

Postby soj » Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:44 pm

Megan170*, I'm glad the nasty posters didn't drive you away. Unlike the rest of TLS, this thread does have some reasonable posters who support you such as bjsesq, feeltheheat, and me. Please keep us abreast of the latest developments in your application process.

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:01 pm

I know that in all of my 12,423 posts on this site, I have never seen anybody as mature and refreshing as Megan170. Her ability to think outside the system should aid her greatly in law school and help her to overcome numerous disabilities - not just one.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:02 pm

incompetentia wrote:I know that in all of my 12,423 posts on this site, I have never seen anybody as mature and refreshing as Megan170. Her ability to think outside the system should aid her greatly in law school and help her to overcome numerous disabilities - not just one.

QUIT PATRONIZING HER DAMN IT

soj

Postby soj » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:05 pm

incompetentia wrote:I know that in all of my 12,423 posts on this site, I have never seen anybody as mature and refreshing as Megan170.

That's because the only person posting your posts is you.

dakure

Postby dakure » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:16 pm

incompetentia wrote:I know that in all of my 12,423 posts on this site, I have never seen anybody as mature and refreshing as Megan170. Her ability to think outside the system should aid her greatly in law school and help her to overcome numerous disabilities - not just one.

Learn to count.
Last edited by dakure on Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:16 pm

soj wrote:
incompetentia wrote:I know that in all of my 12,423 posts on this site, I have never seen anybody as mature and refreshing as Megan170.

That's because the only person posting your posts is you.

I read other peoples' posts too, sometimes. Megan170 is one such example.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:20 pm

dakure wrote:

Learn to count.

soj

Postby soj » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:21 pm

incompetentia wrote:I read other peoples' posts too, sometimes. Megan170 is one such example.

Megan170* deserves to be treated as an individual, not a post.

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:24 pm

soj wrote:
inck wrote:I read other peoples' posts too, sometimes. Megan170 is one such example.

Megan170* deserves to be treated as an individual, not a post.

But I thought we wanted to be in the post-discrimination era. Why would we want to single her out if we're not discriminating against her?
Last edited by incompetentia on Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

soj

Postby soj » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:29 pm

incompetentia wrote:
soj wrote:Megan170* deserves to be treated as an individual, not a post.

But I thought we wanted to be in the post-discrimination era. Why would we want to single her out if we're not discriminating against her?

There's a difference between discriminating individuals and discriminating against individuals.

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:40 pm

I don't want to be either. I will accept anybody who can score a 180 on the LSAT untimed. They clearly have the mental capacity to score a 180, so they shouldn't be held down by the idea that they technically didn't score a 180.

whirledpeas86

Postby whirledpeas86 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:49 am

Interesting blog by the Dean of Admissions at the University of Michigan on how schools use flagged scores:

http://www.law.umich.edu/connection/a2z ... 397d820295

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”