Does taking the December LSAT hurt my application? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
lawschool4

New

Does taking the December LSAT hurt my application?

Post by lawschool4 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:09 pm

I'm currently signed up for the October LSAT but I might have to take the December LSAT if I don't do well, does this REALLY hurt my chances of getting into law schools for the Fall 2012 term?

$1.99

Silver

Re: Does taking the December LSAT hurt my application?

Post by $1.99 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:11 pm

yes it does, go look at the graphs on lsn or on this site. december scores dont come out until january or late december at best.

RaleighStClair

Bronze

Post by RaleighStClair » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:16 pm

I would imagine that as long as you had all of your apps ready and you sent them out in late December when you got your score, you wouldn't be at too much of a disadvantage. Or if you already had your apps in and told the schools about a new score coming in. Of course you wouldn't be able to apply ED or EA.
Certainly is better than the February LSAT, which has been done.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:25 pm

RaleighStClair wrote:I would imagine that as long as you had all of your apps ready and you sent them out in late December when you got your score, you wouldn't be at too much of a disadvantage. Or if you already had your apps in and told the schools about a new score coming in. Of course you wouldn't be able to apply ED or EA.
Certainly is better than the February LSAT, which has been done.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
You're wrong. :P

Most schools have rolling admissions, with acceptances being sent out as early as mid-December. An application sent in after the December LSAT scores come out will be stuck in a much bigger pile and probably won't even be looked at until January.

A December LSAT score won't completely kill an applicant's chances like submitting an app near the deadline does, but you still have to keep in mind that the incoming classes are starting to fill by that point and the odds get worse.

(edited for clarity)

RaleighStClair

Bronze

Post by RaleighStClair » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:33 pm

:| Duly noted.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Nancy_Botwin

New

Post by Nancy_Botwin » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:08 pm

But wouldn't it be better to get two additional months of preparation under your belt and potentially score 5-10 points higher? I'm in the same boat (signed up for Oct. but considering Dec. instead). I feel like with more prep time, I'll get a higher score to offset my "average" GPA. But then again, I'm not applying to top 10 schools.

Thoughts?

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:30 pm

Nancy_Botwin wrote:But wouldn't it be better to get two additional months of preparation under your belt and potentially score 5-10 points higher? I'm in the same boat (signed up for Oct. but considering Dec. instead). I feel like with more prep time, I'll get a higher score to offset my "average" GPA. But then again, I'm not applying to top 10 schools.

Thoughts?
No one can answer that for you. You'd be gambling that you'll score enough points higher to make up for the fact that you're now competing for half (at a guess) as many seats at each school because the schools have already sent out several batches of acceptances. And if you don't score that much higher, you're just kind of screwed.

There are a few schools that don't have rolling admissions, where all applications submitted before the deadline get equal consideration in one giant pile. But those are in the minority.

mightymikek83

New

Post by mightymikek83 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:53 pm

--LinkRemoved--

The reply's posted within the link above should answer your question.

I'd say you're a safe bet--just be prepared to have all your applications ready to go in December and no later than the first two weeks in January.

-Mike

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:14 am

Nancy_Botwin wrote:But wouldn't it be better to get two additional months of preparation under your belt and potentially score 5-10 points higher? I'm in the same boat (signed up for Oct. but considering Dec. instead). I feel like with more prep time, I'll get a higher score to offset my "average" GPA. But then again, I'm not applying to top 10 schools.

Thoughts?
If the difference is 5 points, then yes, absolutely wait. Obviously you can't know exactly what your LSAT score will be, but if you have reason to believe that you could prepare further, then take the December test. For most people on this site considering whether or not to wait, even 2-3 points will far more than make up for a later application. And you can always wait an extra cycle.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Nancy_Botwin

New

Post by Nancy_Botwin » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:31 am

I'm pretty much getting the same message across the board. 3-5 points is worth the wait (for me at least). IMO after taking this test 3 times, preparation and confidence are 75% of this awful exam.

tyro

Silver

Post by tyro » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:45 am

Would are the thoughts that would run through your mind if someone said you should wait until next June/October to take the test?

Ernert

Bronze

Post by Ernert » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:53 am

tyro wrote:Would are the thoughts that would run through your mind if someone said you should wait until next June/October to take the test?
"Hmmm that's what I did, and with 20/20 hindsight, it was the right decision."

Nancy_Botwin

New

Post by Nancy_Botwin » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:08 am

tyro wrote:Would are the thoughts that would run through your mind if someone said you should wait until next June/October to take the test?
This is my third year applying. I'm all in for Fall 2012.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:06 am

rinkrat19 wrote:

Thoughts?
You'd be gambling that you'll score enough points higher to make up for the fact that you're now competing for half (at a guess) as many seats at each school because the schools have already sent out several batches of acceptances. And if you don't score that much higher, you're just kind of screwed.
I disagree. First, schools have been strategically limiting the number of applicants they accept early...more and more competitive students are being held over into the regular applicant pool. The people who get accepted early are those they find extremely intriguing for diversity reasons or applicants the schools want to "lock down" (such as really attractive URM candidates or students whose profiles are off the charts). Schools are taking longer to evaluate students as well. U-Chicago, for example, sent out many first decisions in June/July.

Nobody should take the test before they feel confident about their chances of scoring well. If you don't feel that way about the October test, wait and take it in December. You always want to put your best foot forward, and it's better to do that later in the cycle than to apply early but not be at your best.

tyro

Silver

Post by tyro » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:49 am

Sheehan wrote:
"Hmmm that's what I did, and with 20/20 hindsight, it was the right decision."
There are two ways I can interpret this response. One of which is supported by a fair sample.

Nancy_Botwin

New

Post by Nancy_Botwin » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:16 pm

PDaddy wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

Thoughts?
You'd be gambling that you'll score enough points higher to make up for the fact that you're now competing for half (at a guess) as many seats at each school because the schools have already sent out several batches of acceptances. And if you don't score that much higher, you're just kind of screwed.
I disagree. First, schools have been strategically limiting the number of applicants they accept early...more and more competitive students are being held over into the regular applicant pool. The people who get accepted early are those they find extremely intriguing for diversity reasons or applicants the schools want to "lock down" (such as really attractive URM candidates or students whose profiles are off the charts). Schools are taking longer to evaluate students as well. U-Chicago, for example, sent out many first decisions in June/July.

Nobody should take the test before they feel confident about their chances of scoring well. If you don't feel that way about the October test, wait and take it in December. You always want to put your best foot forward, and it's better to do that later in the cycle than to apply early but not be at your best.
I love you. That is all :wink:

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:43 pm

PDaddy wrote:I disagree. First, schools have been strategically limiting the number of applicants they accept early...more and more competitive students are being held over into the regular applicant pool. The people who get accepted early are those they find extremely intriguing for diversity reasons or applicants the schools want to "lock down" (such as really attractive URM candidates or students whose profiles are off the charts). Schools are taking longer to evaluate students as well. U-Chicago, for example, sent out many first decisions in June/July.
What? No.

And the most damning of all.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Hogwild

New

Post by Hogwild » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:27 am

What about sending in my applications with my current score in say Sept or Oct, but checking the box for the Dec 2011 date for planned LSAT retake? I dont think Im gonna have enough time before Oct to get where I want to. I havent even started taking PT's again. Im about 300 pages out from finishing the LR Bible again. (Reread MLSAT RC, LGB, LRB(in process)) Hopefully Ill have that done in the next 5 days or so. 15 hours, an internship, and the LSAT= No freakin bueno

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:05 am

According to an adcom I spoke to last summer, Chicago took some additional time evaluating students last year. All I know is that students were actually held or WL'd without their knowledge. She also told me that they had held/WL'd several students but not mailed them. What incentive would Chicago have to reveal in its stats that its administration moved extra slow during a particular cycle?

BTW, I don't see any representation for June-August in your charts. Maybe the adcom I spoke to in June was bs'n me, but I had no reason to disbelieve her.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:33 am

PDaddy wrote:According to an adcom I spoke to last summer, Chicago took some additional time evaluating students last year. All I know is that students were actually held or WL'd without their knowledge. She also told me that they had held/WL'd several students but not mailed them. What incentive would Chicago have to reveal in its stats that its administration moved extra slow during a particular cycle?

BTW, I don't see any representation for June-August in your charts. Maybe the adcom I spoke to in June was bs'n me, but I had no reason to disbelieve her.
You said "many" first decisions. I would bet good money it was less than 10, and that almost none of those people actually got in. Chicago doesn't have so many people turn them down that they have to scramble to fill a half-empty entering class in June. They're not IU-B.

The charts, by the way, are based on LSN data. If people don't update their profiles past May, we can't just invent the data. The fact is that the vast majority of seats are allocated by early spring, and they're being given to applications sent in by Christmas (at schools with rolling admissions). A single anecdote about a single year at a single school doesn't really change that.

Nancy_Botwin

New

Post by Nancy_Botwin » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:37 pm

Hogwild wrote:What about sending in my applications with my current score in say Sept or Oct, but checking the box for the Dec 2011 date for planned LSAT retake? I dont think Im gonna have enough time before Oct to get where I want to. I havent even started taking PT's again. Im about 300 pages out from finishing the LR Bible again. (Reread MLSAT RC, LGB, LRB(in process)) Hopefully Ill have that done in the next 5 days or so. 15 hours, an internship, and the LSAT= No freakin bueno
From what I understand (and have experienced) if you check the "I'm taking the LSAT in December" box, they won't look at your application until the December score is in. So my advice is to get your application in ASAP so when your December score comes in (if that's when you end up taking it), your applications will go complete ASAP. I hope this answers your question!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

qbt1990

New

Post by qbt1990 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:01 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
PDaddy wrote:I disagree. First, schools have been strategically limiting the number of applicants they accept early...more and more competitive students are being held over into the regular applicant pool. The people who get accepted early are those they find extremely intriguing for diversity reasons or applicants the schools want to "lock down" (such as really attractive URM candidates or students whose profiles are off the charts). Schools are taking longer to evaluate students as well. U-Chicago, for example, sent out many first decisions in June/July.
What? No.

And the most damning of all.

Sorry, can you remind me where you found those graphs?? I know I've seen them before but now I can't seem to find them on LSN.

ETA: Found them. http://www.top-law-schools.com/decision-dates.html for anyone else who was wondering

Gold

Post by 094320 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:00 pm

Moomoo2u

Bronze

Post by Moomoo2u » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:11 pm

Getting a higher score is the "be all end all" of Law School admissions. If you get a higher score and are afraid you're sending in your apps too late just re-apply the year after in September.

This also allows you to re-take it again if you do poorly the 2nd time.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”