Logical Reasoning - Getting a perfect score

FAJISTE

Logical Reasoning - Getting a perfect score

Postby FAJISTE » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:15 pm

Hi, I had severe trouble with logical reasoning until I decided to follow Pithypike's guide. I got my hands on a new Kaplan orange book, reviewed the sections in the LR Bible and practiced on the respective questions in Kaplan Orange.

I have noticed a tremendous increase in my ability in LR. I can now finish the section with about 2-3 minutes to spare (which is incredible since when I first started I could only finish like 12/25 in the allotted time.

However, I'm still getting anywhere from 1-3 wrong at the end of the section. When I go back and review them, it's ALWAYS stupid mistakes rather than questions that I didn't actually know how to solve; e.g. missing a key word or hastily reading through the question. It's usually questions 14+ that I get wrong as well. Any tips on maximizing my performance? I'm just tired of always getting 1-3 wrong; I want to start seeing flawless sections.

Bobeo

Re: Logical Reasoning - Getting a perfect score

Postby Bobeo » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:04 pm

I'm kind of in the same spot. I'm hoping careful review of PTs during the last month of the study guide will help this.

FAJISTE

Postby FAJISTE » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:18 pm

I'm hoping I'll improve with just doing more drills and PT's. Once it's the end of August I'm gonna start doing the last 10 PT's, I've been saving. I think I just need to read more carefully.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:32 pm

FAJISTE wrote:I can now finish the section with about 2-3 minutes to spare.

It's ALWAYS stupid mistakes e.g. missing a key word or hastily reading through the question.

I would suggest taking those 2-3 minutes on the last 10 ?s or so to slow yourself down so that you don't miss those keywords or read the stimulus too hastily. Try getting in the habit of circling keywords - it tends to slow you down a bit and draw your attention to them.

clouds101

Postby clouds101 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:03 am

FAJISTE wrote:Hi, I had severe trouble with logical reasoning until I decided to follow Pithypike's guide. I got my hands on a new Kaplan orange book, reviewed the sections in the LR Bible and practiced on the respective questions in Kaplan Orange.

I have noticed a tremendous increase in my ability in LR. I can now finish the section with about 2-3 minutes to spare (which is incredible since when I first started I could only finish like 12/25 in the allotted time.

However, I'm still getting anywhere from 1-3 wrong at the end of the section. When I go back and review them, it's ALWAYS stupid mistakes rather than questions that I didn't actually know how to solve; e.g. missing a key word or hastily reading through the question. It's usually questions 14+ that I get wrong as well. Any tips on maximizing my performance? I'm just tired of always getting 1-3 wrong; I want to start seeing flawless sections.

^ In the same boat.

To get over the 170 hump, I've been tracking what LR Q types I've been getting wrong...and this may not be the case for you, but 70% of my LR mistakes came from just 5 Q types. :shock: Once I got over the initial shock, it became super obvious that in the limited time that's left, I should spend a few days drilling those 5 types while maintaining the PT schedule I set up for myself.

Edit: I scored a 173 (177 untimed) on my most recent test (PT 23). If you're not square with LR, it's really difficult to get over 170 so really try to ID your weaknesses by examining your last 5-10 PTs).

Good luck!!

FAJISTE

Postby FAJISTE » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:12 pm

Thanks for the advice. I think you're right about that clouds.

gaud

Postby gaud » Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:07 pm

the 'clouds' is right. try and download a tracker if you'd like (cambridge lsat has a free one with tests 51-62 and super prep a, b , and c... you just have to email them and ask for it)... the tracker REALLY helps organize multiple tests and summarizes it very well.. I'd give it a shot. I know there are other ones as well, but the cambridge one seemed to be the only one to have the most recent tests

aliceydu

Postby aliceydu » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:39 pm

I tend to miss more questions on the second half of the section... Do the questions get longer and more difficult or am I just more tired near the end (psychological barrier)?? Should I try doing them backwards (or do the last page first), or would that stress me out...

gaud

Postby gaud » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:48 pm

aliceydu wrote:I tend to miss more questions on the second half of the section... Do the questions get longer and more difficult or am I just more tired near the end (psychological barrier)?? Should I try doing them backwards (or do the last page first), or would that stress me out...

I think most people miss the majority of their questions in the second half, that is unless they are hurrying through the first 15 or so. I would try and reach the 'magic' timing of the first 15 accurately in 15 minutes.... once i got to that point i really had much more time to focus on the remaining, generally more difficult, 10 q's or so.

AffordablePrep

Postby AffordablePrep » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:57 pm

gaud wrote:
aliceydu wrote:I tend to miss more questions on the second half of the section... Do the questions get longer and more difficult or am I just more tired near the end (psychological barrier)?? Should I try doing them backwards (or do the last page first), or would that stress me out...

I think most people miss the majority of their questions in the second half, that is unless they are hurrying through the first 15 or so. I would try and reach the 'magic' timing of the first 15 accurately in 15 minutes.... once i got to that point i really had much more time to focus on the remaining, generally more difficult, 10 q's or so.

this is credited.

i wouldn't say "harder" - i'd say take closer reading, and less likely to come just from using approaches, but rather combining them with your thinking.

aliceydu

Postby aliceydu » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:04 pm

gaud wrote:

Yes, I make myself finish the first 15 within 15 minutes, but I still miss 1-2. I'll work on that! Thanks :)

aliceydu

Postby aliceydu » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:07 pm

AffordablePrep wrote:
gaud wrote:

this is credited.

i wouldn't say "harder" - i'd say take closer reading, and less likely to come just from using approaches, but rather combining them with your thinking.

Hmm, I see what you mean. They ARE lengthier and more complicated compared to the first half... no wonder speeding through the first 15 to save time is a good idea.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:31 pm

We did a completely subjective study of the questions in LR sections by having several instructors rate the questions by difficulty individually and then averaging the results. We found that the first 12-13 were on the lower end of the difficulty scale (~2.5 or less out of 5) and after that they climbed in difficulty, reaching a plateau around 4.5 at 18-23, with some variance on the last few questions. Very limited data, but I personally think that the second half is much harder than the first half. Personally, I'd recommend treating the first 12 or so as straight-forward and 'easy' questions, then slow down for the second half.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”