Getting Motivated... Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
jared6180

Bronze

Getting Motivated...

Post by jared6180 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:53 am

I need help getting motivated to study for the LSAT, I have this Kaplan book sitting here, and I can't seem to crack it open. I am looking into buying a couple other books, and nothing. Just bought "Getting To Maybe", and I can't "Get to Starting"LOL! Any advise? Any help? What do you think about to drive forward? I have been learning small things about the practice of Law for about 12 months now, and can't wait to get in there and get started...but this test before hand feels crazy!

Jared

rinkrat19

Diamond

Re: Getting Motivated...

Post by rinkrat19 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:56 am

The LSAT is the single biggest factor in whether you'll get into a school that will give you decent odds of finding a job after graduation.

If that's not enough motivation, you should probably rethink your law school plan.

WhoIsDonDraper

New

Post by WhoIsDonDraper » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:01 am

There are multiple progressions you will go through, each of which is scarier than the next. I think the fear of God coupled with a positive desire to go to law school is the most effective. Reading TLS forums is also a great supplement to speed up the process.

1. First you will realize Kaplan is the wrong testing company to use. This will scare you only a marginal amount but cause you to spend more money for the right prep.
2. Then you will realize that even though you have worked through the powerscore bibles, you are nowhere near close enough to getting games done or LR done under time. This will scare you significantly more.
3. If you have at all read forums on employment prospects and application cycles and you have realized that your "President of the coolest Frat on campus" does not count as a good soft factor, then you will start aiming much higher on the LSAT.
4. Once you realize that a 170+ might be the smartest way to go if you want to go to law school, then you will realize that life has hauled off and cold-cocked you and you only have a few months (much shorter of a relative time frame if you want a 170) until you take the LSAT.

Good luck and let me know where you are in the process.

jared6180

Bronze

Post by jared6180 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:18 am

WhoIsDonDraper wrote: 1. First you will realize Kaplan is the wrong testing company to use. This will scare you only a marginal amount but cause you to spend more money for the right prep.
Honestly I am having trouble with this part. I have been told by many people, who went to law school that Kaplan is the best.
WhoIsDonDraper wrote: 3. If you have at all read forums on employment prospects and application cycles and you have realized that your "President of the coolest Frat on campus" does not count as a good soft factor, then you will start aiming much higher on the LSAT.
Accomplished
WhoIsDonDraper wrote: 4. Once you realize that a 170+ might be the smartest way to go if you want to go to law school, then you will realize that life has hauled off and cold-cocked you and you only have a few months (much shorter of a relative time frame if you want a 170) until you take the LSAT.
Oh believe me. I want to go to Washington (STL) and I need to get a 168+ to have a chance, and that may be at sticker, as a second choice I will accept KU with $$$ and with a 168+ I should get $$$ from KU.

I am limited geographically to where I can go because of some family matters.

Blumpbeef

Gold

Post by Blumpbeef » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:27 am

Kaplan is the wrong choice.

Power Score Bibles is where you should probably start. The Manhattan LSAT books seem to be good as well, but I haven't gotten through them yet so I can't comment too much, though other people tend to recommend them.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

KevinP

Silver

Post by KevinP » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:51 am

Browse this thread for motivation:
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 2&t=162036

Also, drop Kaplan and go with Powerscore/Manhattan.
Last edited by KevinP on Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

shoeshine

Silver

Post by shoeshine » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:55 am

Why did you buy GTM if you haven't even taken the lsat yet?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”