working - full-time and coffee

proxy

working - full-time and coffee

Postby proxy » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:43 am

I'm taking the LSAT in October 2011. I've been preparing all summer, and I have a decent grasp of the basics. I just need to work on my accuracy and speed.

My highest LSAT untimed is 170
My highest LSAT timed is 159.

I was hoping to get into the 170s timed by November, but the fact that I'm not getting a 180 untimed indicates that my accuracy is still off by a decent margin. I have a pretty good grasp of what I need to do to hopefully get in the mid 160s timed come October, it will just require diligence on my part, and herein lies the problem.

I work full time. When I get out of work I'm exhausted, and I have a very difficult time remaining focused while studying. This is less of a problem on the weekends (except for when I'm on call).

Now I find that if I drink a coffee after work (around 4pm ) It gives me the charge I need to breeze through drills and review. The only problem with this approach is, come bed time, I'm lit up like a firefly, and probably won't come down until 2 or 3 am. This ruins the following day for me, which ruins my study plans for that day.

Can anyone who has been in a similar situation suggest a more balanced approach to post-ft-work study?

Thanks in advance.

Strange

Re: working - full-time and coffee

Postby Strange » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:32 pm

I'm in the same position as you, I work full-time except I'm lucky enough that things are a little slow and I don't have much supervision in the office. I don't drink coffee but I think eating energy bars or fruit can help you. My suggestion though is that you simply are not where you need to be and you may have to postpone to December. Good luck!

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:39 pm

Drink tea, or work weekends, or tone down your schedule during work days and put more on the weekends. Or maybe take a 30 min nap when you get home.

TheZoid

Postby TheZoid » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:42 pm

Try 30 minutes of meditation after work, it's a nice way to refresh/recharge in a relatively short time. I work full time as well and was able to balance full time work with LSAT studying for a 2 month period doing this routine and it worked pretty nicely. Or you can drink your coffee a little earlier so it wears off by bed time.

giantsfan703

Postby giantsfan703 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:43 pm

I'm also in exactly the same boat, and I know how much this sucks. Personally, I've found that studying before work, which means waking up around 5 or 6, works much better, especially after a cup of coffee. But I also usually take a cup down around 5 before evening studying and don't have trouble falling asleep around 10 or 11. Maybe try something with a little less caffeine? Like tea? Or keep drinking a smaller cup of coffee until you find the balance you need that allows you to study effectively and sleep.

proxy

Postby proxy » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:30 pm

Thanks everyone. Is it really advisable to push my test date to December? I've made some decent gains. My first timed diagnostic was 146. 159 is significant is it not? I know that my returns will start to diminish, but I'm confident I can break into the mid 160s by Oct.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:33 pm

drink the coffee earlier

getemgoon

Postby getemgoon » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:36 pm

you definitely have made a lot of progress - congratulations. if you definitely are looking to apply this cycle and attend school starting next fall, you should take the October LSAT. BUT (this is what I wish someone told me before as this will be my 3rd time taking the lsat) if you're not COMPLETELY ready, don't take it. wait another year - it will pay off in the long run.

also, i work full time as well and im studying - it's not as bad as others because i'm pretty familiar with the lsat by now, just trying to fine tune things with LR and LG. but it still is exhausting. my recommendation is study at a library or a quiet setting other than your home. personally, i have a hard time staying awake and focusing at home. i try not to drink coffee past noon... but it's hard....

anyways, good luck!!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”