doing well on some RC passages and horribly on others...argh

rachue

doing well on some RC passages and horribly on others...argh

Postby rachue » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:20 am

I've noticed that during RC I generally do well on 3 passages (missing 0-1) and then will miss up to 4-5 in usually the third or fourth passage. Usually it's the passage that I least like and find the least interesting subject-wise. At this point in the section I'm probably also a bit tired. I know I need to just be able to get over the fact that the topic is boring but it is very hard for me to focus on these passages! I tried drilling today, but the same thing was happening. It's really bringing down my RC score overall as I'm averaging about 5-7 wrong out of the 25 or so.

Would anyone have any advice on this?

thecilent

Re: doing well on some RC passages and horribly on others...argh

Postby thecilent » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:21 am

Yeah start doing 8-9 RC passages IN A ROW nightly. Will get better.

KremeCheez

Postby KremeCheez » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:36 am

thecilent wrote:Yeah start doing 8-9 RC passages IN A ROW nightly. Will get better.

How would one avoid quickly running out of prep materials?

paulshortys10

Postby paulshortys10 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:05 am

thecilent wrote:Yeah start doing 8-9 RC passages IN A ROW nightly. Will get better.

This seems like a good idea. 2-3 Pt's worth of RC's...Might try to improve my terrible scores

RaleighStClair

Postby RaleighStClair » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:24 am

I'm having a really similar problem with RC (-0/1, -0/1, -0/1, -5ish).

paulshortys10 wrote:

This seems like a good idea. 2-3 Pt's worth of RC's...Might try to improve my terrible scores

I might try doing this, but would it help if they're passages that I've already done...? I don't want to waste PT's.

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:33 am

Use the older PTs or buy some more prep books.

clouds101

Postby clouds101 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:40 am

rachue wrote:I've noticed that during RC I generally do well on 3 passages (missing 0-1) and then will miss up to 4-5 in usually the third or fourth passage. Usually it's the passage that I least like and find the least interesting subject-wise. At this point in the section I'm probably also a bit tired. I know I need to just be able to get over the fact that the topic is boring but it is very hard for me to focus on these passages! I tried drilling today, but the same thing was happening. It's really bringing down my RC score overall as I'm averaging about 5-7 wrong out of the 25 or so.

are you having trouble with a specific type of passage (science, humanities, social science, or law)? you might want to direct your focused drilling on those.

balzern

Postby balzern » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:52 am

Practice Practice Practice...honestly the more you do the better you get. However, for me it was the hardest section to see great improvement in.

rachue

Postby rachue » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:11 am

clouds101 wrote:
rachue wrote:I've noticed that during RC I generally do well on 3 passages (missing 0-1) and then will miss up to 4-5 in usually the third or fourth passage. Usually it's the passage that I least like and find the least interesting subject-wise. At this point in the section I'm probably also a bit tired. I know I need to just be able to get over the fact that the topic is boring but it is very hard for me to focus on these passages! I tried drilling today, but the same thing was happening. It's really bringing down my RC score overall as I'm averaging about 5-7 wrong out of the 25 or so.

are you having trouble with a specific type of passage (science, humanities, social science, or law)? you might want to direct your focused drilling on those.

not particularly. sometimes econ passages but it's just generally any passage i find uninteresting. usually i do well on passages on literature but i bombed one of those yesterday.

freestallion

Postby freestallion » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:14 am

I used to have a similar problem and part of it was that I generally felt the RC got harder as the section went on, while I got more mentally tired/braindead. So I started skipping around, and started doing the paragraphs with the most questions 1st, so that by the time the end came around, there would possibly be a passage with just 5-6 questions left. This definitely helped me save my mental stamina for the longest/most dense passages and questions. It doesn't work for everyone but try skipping around and see how it works.

rachue

Postby rachue » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:11 am

freestallion wrote:I used to have a similar problem and part of it was that I generally felt the RC got harder as the section went on, while I got more mentally tired/braindead. So I started skipping around, and started doing the paragraphs with the most questions 1st, so that by the time the end came around, there would possibly be a passage with just 5-6 questions left. This definitely helped me save my mental stamina for the longest/most dense passages and questions. It doesn't work for everyone but try skipping around and see how it works.

I never thought of that! That's actually a really good idea! Thanks.

ms08g

Postby ms08g » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:42 am

Review each passage in depth after you do it. There are common pivot words that will allow you to predict what is coming and read the passage structure quickly. Search this forum for extra help (voyager RC guide, get the MLSAT guide, etc.). RC is a variable section, but you should be able to get it consistently under -4 at the very least.

PurplePirate

Postby PurplePirate » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:51 am

Forgive me if anyone has asked already, but are you doing these timed or untimed?

If you're missing that many untimed, then you need to change your approach and figure out what it is that you're "not getting."

If you're missing that many timed, then I'll just re-enforce what everyone else has been saying: practice, practice practice. Best of luck.

rachue

Postby rachue » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:58 pm

PurplePirate wrote:

Forgive me if anyone has asked already, but are you doing these timed or untimed?

If you're missing that many untimed, then you need to change your approach and figure out what it is that you're "not getting."

If you're missing that many timed, then I'll just re-enforce what everyone else has been saying: practice, practice practice. Best of luck.

Sorry, should have specified. That's timed although I do still feel a bit rushed overall and especially on the boring/least favorite passage.

Thanks for all the advice everyone!

rachue

Postby rachue » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:59 pm

ms08g wrote:Review each passage in depth after you do it. There are common pivot words that will allow you to predict what is coming and read the passage structure quickly. Search this forum for extra help (voyager RC guide, get the MLSAT guide, etc.). RC is a variable section, but you should be able to get it consistently under -4 at the very least.

I've been using Powerscore's "VIEWSTAMP" method. Idk if you're familiar with it, but if you are, do you think it's sufficient?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”