Powerscore LR Bible - "questions most students got wrong"

msuz

Powerscore LR Bible - "questions most students got wrong"

Postby msuz » Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:01 pm

I'm currently working through the Powerscore LR Bible, and often times there are questions that it points out 50% or more of students got a certain question wrong. I am by no means very good at the LR section, but I usually always get these "hard questions right. And its not like I'm guessing on them, I genuinely understand the arguments easily and the correct answer choice just seems obvious. I generally, however, get many questions with confusing subject matter (like science jargon) or a long stimulus wrong, because of concentration problems and/or an inability to understand the stimulus.

I dont understand why I would be getting the "hard" questions right, and many other questions wrong. If it is because of my lack of concentration and inability to understand the stimulus, I would think that I would at least get the "hard" questions wrong. Thoughts?

thelong

Re: Powerscore LR Bible - "questions most students got wrong"

Postby thelong » Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:15 pm

Could you clarify? Are we talking about getting easy questions wrong on PTs or in the drills in the LRB? Also, how often are you getting "easy" questions wrong and "hard" questions right?

It may do you some good to remember that just because a question is ranked as easy or hard doesn't necessarily mean that you, as an individual test taker, should treat them any differently. In many cases you may just gloss over an easy question because you know that it's easy and miss an obvious flaw in the AC whereas you would have caught it if someone told you the question was hard because you'd be mentally cued to pay closer attention and read more carefully. I don't know if this is your problem. I'd need some more information.

msuz

Postby msuz » Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:22 pm

Thanks for your reply, I was referring to the drills in the LR bible. Im still learning each question type, and in the analysis after the 6 question drills, they will say something like "less than 50% of students got this question correct, this is a hard question" and I will get it right (and be like, wtf?). Usually they say the question is hard because there are very attractive wrong answer choices, or shell games, or something similar, but the correct answer seems obvious to me.

And I'm not really having trouble with glossing over the easy questions, my biggest problem area is with questions with a long(er) stimulus that for some reason I just have trouble understanding. So then when I go to the answers, I cant, for example, weaken the argument, because I dont know what the argument really is. Of course, I can spend 3 minutes figuring out the argument, but that is a big waste of time. Maybe I just need to practice more and timing will come.

thelong

Postby thelong » Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:31 pm

msuz wrote:Thanks for your reply, I was referring to the drills in the LR bible. Im still learning each question type, and in the analysis after the 6 question drills, they will say something like "less than 50% of students got this question correct, this is a hard question" and I will get it right (and be like, wtf?). Usually they say the question is hard because there are very attractive wrong answer choices, or shell games, or something similar, but the correct answer seems obvious to me.

And I'm not really having trouble with glossing over the easy questions, my biggest problem area is with questions with a long(er) stimulus that for some reason I just have trouble understanding. So then when I go to the answers, I cant, for example, weaken the argument, because I dont know what the argument really is. Of course, I can spend 3 minutes figuring out the argument, but that is a big waste of time. Maybe I just need to practice more and timing will come.

Okay, first of all, don't stress out about timing if you're just now familiarizing yourself with the test, the timing will come when you have a better grasp of the questions; particularly what types of questions are asked, what types of answers are right, and what works for you in analyzing, breaking down and then prephrasing the correct answer.

It is far more important to grasp the arguments early on in your studies and then develop timing once you've developed accuracy. So, it's okay to take your time on drill questions. If you're banging your head against your desk trying to understand an argument than close your eyes, take a deep breath and then get back to it. It's very easy to chase your tail trying to understand an argument and sometimes you have to reset before you can do it.

msuz

Postby msuz » Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:35 pm

thelong wrote:
msuz wrote:If you're banging your head against your desk trying to understand an argument

lol, all the time.

That's good advice, I just wanted some reassurance that the timing and understanding would come.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”