Race to 170

uchi15hopeful

Race to 170

Postby uchi15hopeful » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:17 pm

Hello, this is my first post but I have "lurked" for some time. It is my hope and aim to gain acceptance to the University of Chicago's law school this winter. I have a GPA that is slightly above the median, but I only have a weak LSAT on record. I began with a diagnostic of 155, back in July of last year. I was able to study a little, taking a handful of practice tests that kept going up (from the 155 up to a 166). In December, I was sick and I bombed the LSAT. I have since done some practice but here I stand, never having put forth a full effort that I can be proud of. I did a good deal of LG-specific prep and I have the solid fundamentals that have helped me get -0's on certain sections.

At this point, I am completely unpracticed when it comes to full 5-section tests. I don't have strong stamina, I do not have a mastery of all LR types, I have not perfected games, and I don't have a well-practiced RC strategy. I have underlined, diagrammed, and practiced with different techniques but I am unsure of how to proceed with RC. With the more difficult passages in the later LSAT's, I feel like I may be handcuffing myself by not diagramming it in writing (while I do take mental notes on viewpoints, facts, and main points).

I have 7 weeks before the October LSAT and 17 weeks (total) until the December test. I must admit, I'm scared. I have such a strong desire to go to the U of C, but after bombing the LSAT my confidence is in the toilet. No matter how well I do on a practice test or how many sections I nail, the moment I have some difficulty I crumble. No longer. I cannot allow a bad experience to hold me back from getting what I want.

Sorry that the post is so long, I hope some of you are still with me. I believe the biggest thing is for me to work through the three bibles within the next three weeks. To read the sections and drill the question/game/section by type, in order to get a strong sense of the test and to really "learn" the test. From there, I feel I need to practice and get over my phobia. I'd like to take a fully timed 5-section test every other day for the last 4 weeks before the October test. Once I am done with that test, I would like to spend the following 10 weeks practicing with full tests and trying to find patterns of my weaknesses from all the material I had worked on, up to that point. I would also like to get into the gamesmanship of the test (taking 10 section tests, taking tests where I only have 30 minutes for sections, etc.)

I am scared, but I don't want to wilt under pressure. I feel this is so much bigger than just a test, I feel it is a huge challenge that I've put in front of me that will help me gain confidence. The test has already beat me once, but I want to win the rematch. The only way to do it is to put in the hard work now and to make the test second nature by October 1st.

If anyone has any words of wisdom or would like to offer any advice, I would be most appreciative. I've seen all of the amazing things TLS'ers have done, and I want to be able to earn what they've earned. If you feel you can pay it forward and help me, it would be most appreciated.

Thank you.

uchi15hopeful

Re: Race to 170

Postby uchi15hopeful » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:41 am

I realize I didn't ask for specific advice, so let me ask this:

Do you feel I should spend some time learning the test, through the bibles, before I start practicing with full tests? Or is the most important thing that I get over the hump and start taking practice tests?

glucose101

Postby glucose101 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:09 am

You have to familiarize yourself with and know how to attack the question types before you start taking PTs, or else you'll only be wasting PTs. Take in Dec.

clouds101

Postby clouds101 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:20 pm

fear of failing is natural. It seems like you have a good mindset-- now put your plan into action!

uchi15hopeful

Postby uchi15hopeful » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:52 pm

Thank you for the replies!

Perdevise

Postby Perdevise » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:52 pm

I followed the plan found on http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/ (Steve Schwartz).

Steve recommends slicing up the first few exams (I think 29-38) by question type and becoming familiar with them, and supplementing that work with the Bibles, including drills. Then you build up to 4 part and 5 part tests. If you have never spent time familiarizing yourself with types, now is the time. Taking full tests without doing so will hurt you.

Reading comp is the toughest to improve (from what I've heard). Spending some time reading complex material should help (I especially recommend academic writing, which can get downright unintelligible in some instances).

I went from a cold 158 to a 170 following Steve's plan. I'd say its worth laying out for all the recommended prep books and the day to day schedule, because you only prepare for the LSAT once, and there is no better way to get better schools/more money. Every dollar invested into LSAT prep pays off dividends in scholarship/better earnings potential.

PS UChi is one of my dream schools, good luck to you.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”