Drilling problem types vs Timed sections (for LR)

notaznguy

Drilling problem types vs Timed sections (for LR)

Postby notaznguy » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:09 pm

Main question: What should I be doing?

Here's what's been going on. I've been doing drills of 100 problem types. Over a period of 2 days, I will do 100 Must Be True questions, or Weaken, or Strengthen/Assumption/Justify, or Method of Reasoning/Parallel, etc. When I drill, I do not feel any pressure and am calm and cool as hell. This is probably because I'm not on a time constraint, but I do notice I can usually knock a question down in a minute or a minute and 35 seconds. I normally get them right too. On average, I will get 8/10 correct, and usually the 2 I get wrong can be either a) I simply didn't understand the stimulus, or b) I made a stupid mistake and overlooked just 1 word or answer

Recently, I did 2 timed sections for LR, Preptest 7 to be exact, and I ended up getting the exact same raw score as my diagnostic. On both sections, I got +12/-13 and +12/-13. When I reviewed my section, before I looked at the answers, I decided to do the question again, only untimed. When I feel casual and cool, I normally get the question right, even though I got it wrong when I was taking the section under time constraints. For every single problem I got wrong, the main reason I got it wrong was because I did not understand the stimulus and therefore, could not identify the issue or couldn't even narrow down my answer choices from 5 to 2.

Should I continue to just do more drills for problem types or should I continue to do a timed section everyday?

Tiago Splitter

Re: Drilling problem types vs Timed sections (for LR)

Postby Tiago Splitter » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:19 pm

Drill, baby, drill.

I'd focus on question types for at least another few weeks. Work on timing in the 3-4 weeks leading up to the test.

notaznguy

Postby notaznguy » Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:00 am

I couldn't sleep just dwelling on it, so I decided to take another LR timed section. I took PT 9 LR 1 about an hour ago. The only bad thing about this timed test was there were 4 problems in there that I totally just knew the answer to because I had already done them during drilling. Of course, to just to pretend it was a real question, I read the stimulus, stem, and answer choices before picking the answer anyways, just to simulate making up for time as if I didn't know this question already.

I ended up getting +20/-5

I did this test in the comfort of my own home though where it was significantly quieter (I did my first 2 timed sections in a public library where there was noise). I don't know if this means anything, especially since there were 4 problems I already knew the answer too, but I'm happy with what I got and I can finally sleep well...FOR TONIGHT. Even if this timed section wasn't an accurate indicator, I still feel good *cries tears of happiness*

suspicious android

Postby suspicious android » Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:18 pm

80% accuracy untimed or semi-timed drills means you still have a good bit of work to do to completely understand the material. You should be aiming for 95+% accuracy on semi-timed work before worrying about 35-minute sections. Otherwise, you're just practicing making mistakes at a faster rate.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”