PT32.S4.Q25 LR

Ocean64

PT32.S4.Q25 LR

Postby Ocean64 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:01 am

i always thought that the second person would misunderstand/misinterpret the meaning of something that the first person had said, but according to the answer of this question (PT32.S4.Q25 LR) what Helena meant was understood by Jay for the most part and that threw me off. my first instinct was to prephrase an answer in my head like this:

jay must have though that Helena had said "ALL children of introverts adopted by extroverts become extroverts" but that was not an answer choice, instead the answer choice seem to be a direct rephrasing of the very first sentence of what Helena had said.

so from this, do we understand that sometimes answers to this type of question can be thought of as the second person might have fully understood what the first person had said?
i hope someone can shed some light on this.

pft

Re: PT32.S4.Q25 LR

Postby pft » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:31 pm

Ocean64 wrote:so from this, do we understand that sometimes answers to this type of question can be thought of as the second person might have fully understood what the first person had said?
i hope someone can shed some light on this.

I don't think Jay has fully understood what Helena said. Helena said "is not biologically determined", not "is not biologically influenced".

EarlCat

Postby EarlCat » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:25 pm

Ocean64 wrote:my first instinct was to prephrase an answer in my head like this:

jay must have though that Helena had said "ALL children of introverts adopted by extroverts become extroverts"

Your first instinct was very good. The answer choice follows from that: If ALL children of introverts adopted by extroverts became extroverts, then (D) biological factors do not play any role in a child being extroverted.

Ocean64 wrote:instead the answer choice seem to be a direct rephrasing of the very first sentence of what Helena had said.

It's a rephrasing of one possible interpretation of what she said, but she qualified what she meant by telling us that these kids only "tend to" become more sociable. He took it as if she was speaking in absolutes.

Ocean64

Postby Ocean64 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:23 pm

i see. i have made an RC error, since biology can play a role and still not be what determines extroversion. i made the same mistake as Jay lol. thanks guys

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”