Reading Comp

martintp

Reading Comp

Postby martintp » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:15 am

I am absolutely getting destroyed by reading comp. Is it possible to improve at all. I am only getting 15-18 questions right... Half the time i dont have a full grasp of what I am reading.

HYSnNothingLess

Re: Reading Comp

Postby HYSnNothingLess » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:34 am

No soup for you, my fwend.

bardreams

Postby bardreams » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:50 am

A lot of people think that RC is very difficult to improve on, and it is, but it's not impossible.

I started off -10/-12 on RC. You need to read for structure of the argument not content. Get the Powerscore or Manhattan RC guide and start drilling Inference questions.

Doing both of these things have helped me immensely.

martintp

Postby martintp » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:33 pm

bardreams wrote:A lot of people think that RC is very difficult to improve on, and it is, but it's not impossible.

I started off -10/-12 on RC. You need to read for structure of the argument not content. Get the Powerscore or Manhattan RC guide and start drilling Inference questions.

Doing both of these things have helped me immensely.

what are you at right now?

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:18 pm

It sounds like you have certain question types that you need to work on.

RC is primarily about finding a method that works for you in terms of comprehending the passage, the question, and the answer choices. If this requires changes in your reading routine, then make them. If this requires you to diagram some types, do it. If this requires you to mark more/mark less, do it.

You need to target those question types and see what may be tripping you up - after that, you can see what you can do to counter the issues you're having.

cking2014

Postby cking2014 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:42 pm

I'm working on reading comp right now too. It's really kicking my butt, so I was wondering if any of you have found a method that works best for you, like reading the passage then going to the questions, or skimming over the questions then going to the passage? I know that it is learnable, so to support you on this you can definitely improve, as I have.

Johnlj56

Postby Johnlj56 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:51 pm

I purchased a book by Cambridge that arranges the RC passage from PT 21-40 by type (Humanities, Law) and difficulty. I time myself on each passage and review it immediately after I finished. This increased my time substantially (averaging 7 min/ passage down from about 9:30) and I have increased my accuracy (-0/-1 per passage down from -3/-4).

I wouldn't recommend this if you are planning on using PTs 21-40 for full length test but drilling like this has busted me out of my 162-167 rut and I have finally gotten starting hitting my PTs in the lower 170s. it has helped me so much I plan on doing this for LG and LR as well.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”