Intended meaning of words - PT 52, RC #5

pft

Intended meaning of words - PT 52, RC #5

Postby pft » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:57 pm

When the LSAT asks which word most closely expresses the author's intended meaning, do they want a complete replacement of the word in question without any regard for the original word?

In that case, I would agree that "transformative" best fits in the context of the overall intent of the entire sentence. But unless I misunderstand the definitions of "transformative" and "initiatory", they have nothing in common, so I don't see how the author could have intended for the specific word "initiatory" in the passage to have meant "transformative".

albanach

Re: Intended meaning of words - PT 52, RC #5

Postby albanach » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:21 pm

pft wrote:In that case, I would agree that "transformative" best fits in the context of the overall intent of the entire sentence. But unless I misunderstand the definitions of "transformative" and "initiatory", they have nothing in common, so I don't see how the author could have intended for the specific word "initiatory" in the passage to have meant "transformative".

I think you do misunderstand. Think of an initiation, where you are introduced to something new as part of a transformative experience, like starting a new school or new job.

pft

Postby pft » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:46 pm

albanach wrote:I think you do misunderstand. Think of an initiation, where you are introduced to something new as part of a transformative experience, like starting a new school or new job.

I understand that an initiation can lead to a transformative experience, but not how that gives them the potential to have the same meaning.

albanach

Postby albanach » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:56 pm

pft wrote:
albanach wrote:I think you do misunderstand. Think of an initiation, where you are introduced to something new as part of a transformative experience, like starting a new school or new job.

I understand that an initiation can lead to a transformative experience, but not how that gives them the potential to have the same meaning.

Okay, think about some sort of coming of age ritual where an initiatory ceremony could be described as transformative between adolescence and adulthood. Before the ceremony the participant is a child, after the transformative initiation they become an adult.

pft

Postby pft » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:55 pm

Hmm ok. Thanks.

EarlCat

Postby EarlCat » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:53 pm

Ignore the original word (it's usually a poor choice of word anyway). These types of questions are all about context. The answer here is "transformative" because the journeys "bring about a basic change in the worldview of the protagonist."

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”