Graduating early...unexpectedly. Help.

espressocream

Graduating early...unexpectedly. Help.

Postby espressocream » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:50 pm

I took the June 2011 LSAT and bombed it with a 158 (freaked out on LG) - this really wasn't an issue considering that I was expecting to graduate two quarters early in Fall 2012.

As a junior right now I'll be studying abroad this fall and then return for the winter and spring quarters. I just did the math for the credits and my study abroad program gives me a substantial amount of extra credits - meaning I could easily graduate Spring 2012 (I'd be done entirely with credits and my major).

I'm not sure I'm ready to retake in October or even December (keep in mind I'll be abroad)...I was going to retake June 2012. Entering law school a year from now is a bit scary - only because I don't think I could score 170+ for NYU (and they average so I probably won't even get in).

My only options are:

A) Graduate spring 2012, attempt a retake in Oct/Dec and apply. Hope for the best.
B) Graduate spring 2012, study all summer. Retake in Oct, apply then and work the rest of the year.
C) Attend classes Winter 2012, take Spring 2012 off and study for June and then graduate Fall 2012.
D) Take Winter, Spring, and Fall 2012 off and then return to school Winter/Spring 2013 and graduate normally while applying and retaking during the time off

I tried to study for June 2011 while taking classes and on the quarter system it's really difficult. So taking a quarter off to study for this thing doesn't seem that unreasonable to me.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

acrossthelake

Re: Graduating early...unexpectedly. Help.

Postby acrossthelake » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:07 pm

Order of preference:
New Option E:
Graduate Spring 2012, study, retake when you're ready. Plan on working for 1-2 years after graduating before going to law school.

B) Graduate spring 2012, study all summer. Retake in Oct, apply then and work the rest of the year.
C) Attend classes Winter 2012, take Spring 2012 off and study for June and then graduate Fall 2012.
--And spend time before law school working.
A) Graduate spring 2012, attempt a retake in Oct/Dec and apply. Hope for the best.
D) Take Winter, Spring, and Fall 2012 off and then return to school Winter/Spring 2013 and graduate normally while applying and retaking during the time off

LSAT is most important--don't take a lower score just because you want to hurry to law school. A lot of law schools are looking for people with work experience--75% of the incoming class at HLS, for example, took at least a year off before law school, and 50% did 2+ years-- and you'll do better during OCI if you can talk about that. Plus it'll give you some small amount of time to hope that the legal market recovers.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”