8-week prep schedule -- advice needed Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
PdH

New

8-week prep schedule -- advice needed

Post by PdH » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:37 pm

I studied March-June for the June 2011 test, PT average a 170, and ended up getting a 159 on the real thing. Crazy nerves, poor planning on the morning of, and other big errors played a role in that.

A tough summer academic program made it virtually impossible to study much in June and July, but I have signed up for the October test (exactly 8 weeks away).

Can anybody provide some assistance on constructing an 8-week study schedule? Book recommendations would also be great.My weak section on PTs was logic games, and my more general testing weakness was timing (I often gave myself an extra minute or more on practice exams, giving me a false sense of security).

Any help is really appreciated.

TMC116

Bronze

Re: 8-week prep schedule -- advice needed

Post by TMC116 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:11 pm

PdH wrote:I studied March-June for the June 2011 test, PT average a 170, and ended up getting a 159 on the real thing. Crazy nerves, poor planning on the morning of, and other big errors played a role in that.

A tough summer academic program made it virtually impossible to study much in June and July, but I have signed up for the October test (exactly 8 weeks away).

Can anybody provide some assistance on constructing an 8-week study schedule? Book recommendations would also be great.My weak section on PTs was logic games, and my more general testing weakness was timing (I often gave myself an extra minute or more on practice exams, giving me a false sense of security).

I am in a virtually identical situation (except i cancelled my June score). I'm also interested in an 8-week plan.

I've started Pithypike's guide (stickied to this forum) and my LG score shot up immediately. I'm a lot more comfortable now. That's definitely a good start.

incompetentia

Gold

Post by incompetentia » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:34 pm

1. Extra time is one of the less helpful things you can do. If anything, you should give yourself less time on PTs to simulate the feeling of time constraints on the real thing.

2. LG is the one section that drilling will actually help tremendously. Sit down with the LGB or a bunch of games and figure out a diagramming strategy that is efficient, quick, accurate, and doesn't confuse you.

3. Don't overwork yourself. I'd top out at 3 tests per week...definitely even fewer than that if you're going to be drilling heavily. Since your previous PT average was 170, you need to focus as much on controlling nerves and establishing a decent routine as actual score-improvement tactics.

Bronze

Post by 83947368 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:59 am

Last edited by 83947368 on Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

echo

New

Post by echo » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:44 am

PdH wrote:I studied March-June for the June 2011 test, PT average a 170, and ended up getting a 159 on the real thing. Crazy nerves, poor planning on the morning of, and other big errors played a role in that.

When I started reading your post, my first reaction was that 170 to 159 is a crazy drop off. A drop off of a couple points on test day is one thing (I was three points under my average for my last ten tests due to stress and lack of sleep), but yours was huge. Then I read your comment on extra time.

You can't give yourself extra time, ever. I know it is tempting, but anything you get with even an extra minute is not an accurate reflection of your real score. If LG was your weak section, that is good news. Practice should make you faster, but you need to be strict on timing.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bronze

Post by 83947368 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:28 pm

Last edited by 83947368 on Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PdH

New

Post by PdH » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:27 am

Thanks for all the replies. I hadn't read them all yet and it looks like the schedule I created for myself is in line with your recommendations. I've ordered the LGB and it's coming tomorrow. I plan on doing 2 tests a week under strict time conditions at 9AM each of these 4 remaining weeks in August and 2 to 3 exams per week each week in September (20 in total, #37 through #56, all of which I've found explanation PDFs.

I'm definitely not going to screw around with timing. It really did sink me in June. Thanks again.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”