How does the difficulty of LR change over time Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
wanderlust

New

How does the difficulty of LR change over time

Post by wanderlust » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:49 am

I heard that RC and LG sections are more difficult in recent test, therefore your pt score of PT30s 40s are not reliable when it comes to predict your performance on the more recent ones
how about LR
is there any indicative value of the PT 30s and 40s scores for the LR sections
Thanks

KevinP

Silver

Re: How does the difficulty of LR change over time

Post by KevinP » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:22 am

wanderlust wrote:I heard that RC and LG sections are more difficult in recent test, therefore your pt score of PT30s 40s are not reliable when it comes to predict your performance on the more recent ones
how about LR
Thanks
While the fundamental logic behind both the old and new tests is the same, performance on older LR sections may not be entirely indicative of performance on newer LR sections. This, of course, highly depends on the individual.

The newer LR isn't necessarily harder, just different. Whereas the older LR answers sometimes relied on commonsense assumptions which was fine considering older LR generally had a clear difference between correct and incorrect answer choices, newer LR answer choices require much more airtight logic and frequently feature multiple extremely attractive answer choices. Also, the stimuli in newer tests tend to be shorter and they no longer have the 2-questions-per-stimulus format. If I were to guess as to which test made the transition from older LR to newer LR, I'd say the newer LR starts at PT 46.

RC is definitely harder.

thederangedwang

Silver

Post by thederangedwang » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:25 am

I took every PT there was to take.

In my personal opinion, reading got substantially harder, LR got slightly harder, while logic games stayed the same or got a bit easier

My first pt's, including my cold diagnostic, I was routinely getting all the reading correct. As soon as I hit the late 2000's though, I started missing at least 2/3 per section, with a few as high as 10.

LR I felt got a bit harder as well, though not substantially so.

Clarity

Bronze

Post by Clarity » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:12 pm

wanderlust wrote:I heard that RC and LG sections are more difficult in recent test, therefore your pt score of PT30s 40s are not reliable when it comes to predict your performance on the more recent ones
how about LR
Thanks
I personally feel that Logical Reasoning didn't get easier but is just constructed better. Which I think makes it easier to learn. When I take old Logical Reasoning questions I double take my answers because I am like "the answer can't really be that easy can it?" or just go "WTF is this question?" The new Logical Reasoning questions are of better quality.

moopness

Bronze

Post by moopness » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:36 pm

How does this play into the Cambridge Logical Reasoning question sets (by type)? Since those sets are all from earlier tests, will drilling those questions really help at all for the newer LR questions?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

soj

Platinum

Post by soj » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:37 pm

moopness wrote:How does this play into the Cambridge Logical Reasoning question sets (by type)? Since those sets are all from earlier tests, will drilling those questions really help at all for the newer LR questions?
Yes.

I, for one, didn't notice a significant shift in difficulty or style between old and new LR questions.

moopness

Bronze

Post by moopness » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:39 pm

soj wrote:
moopness wrote:How does this play into the Cambridge Logical Reasoning question sets (by type)? Since those sets are all from earlier tests, will drilling those questions really help at all for the newer LR questions?
Yes.

I, for one, didn't notice a significant shift in difficulty or style between old and new LR questions.
Fantastico, thanks soj!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”