December 2011 LSAT Study Group

User avatar
the_pakalypse
Posts: 208
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:34 pm

Re: December 2011 LSAT Study Group

Postby the_pakalypse » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:34 am

I have a Q from PT 54 --- don't read this yet if you haven't done it yet


!


but.. S2Q10, "reading fiction is like watching a sitcom; it's just wasted time" - can anyone explain how that is an analogy? There is no analogous position. It's not like X is to Y as A is to B.. it seems like just a comparison to me

User avatar
POSERmyLOVE
Posts: 56
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:52 am

Re: December 2011 LSAT Study Group

Postby POSERmyLOVE » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:54 pm

Hey everyone! I havent been following this thread, so sorry if I am going off topic.
I took a PT yesterday and scored a 156 which was a real bummer. For the past couple days I had finally been scoring in the low 160s and made it to 165! Hopefully I can take a better PT tomorrow and kick but on Saturday!

Any advice on how to calm my nerves ? Goodluck to everyone btw!

User avatar
POSERmyLOVE
Posts: 56
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:52 am

Re: December 2011 LSAT Study Group

Postby POSERmyLOVE » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:00 pm

Sorry, in response to your q,

Randi is saying fictional books are also like sitcoms (which are fictional as well) and he implies that they have no vocational or practical value. In other words, you cant really learn anything from reading about vampires or wizards but you can learn practical things from reading abour newtons law of physics. So Randi limits the variety of books Helen refers to (her scope) . Thats why answer B works.

Hope that helps!

User avatar
SA1928
Posts: 182
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:10 pm

Re: December 2011 LSAT Study Group

Postby SA1928 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:58 pm

disconnected wrote:How about PT 61 review on Tuesday night at 8 p.m.?


Ugh, took PT 61 this morning. I did awful...I should have been practicing timed sections the past few weeks instead of drilling maybe. Idk, my timing is terrible and it is making a HUGE impact on my scores. :(

disconnected
Posts: 96
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:30 pm

Re: December 2011 LSAT Study Group

Postby disconnected » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:05 pm

I took for the first time PT 55, I thought I was the easiest so far.
168, highest score so far on a practice test.
LR -4
RC -3
LR -4
LG -0
I am past my plateau. I will do PT 61 tomorrow morning at 8:30 am.
I keep missing inferences; I will drill them tomorrow.
I think LR is about identifying the question type, remembering the strategy, eliminating the bad answers, then applying the truth test.

I drilled all linear logic games from 10-51, I have found a rhythm.
I will drill grouping games tomorrow.
I think LG for me is all setup, 15 sec. memorization of rules, then attack.
I quit doing the rest of the answer choices once I got the correct one; I used to do the others just to make sure, now I move on.

For RC, I find that I do best by spending a full 4 minutes on the passage, reading it for detail, and by default, memorizing it.
After reading the question, I come up with the answer, look for it among the choices, then confirm it in the passage.

This week I am getting on my test day schedule; I am getting up earlier every morning until I reach 6am wakeup.
I am reproducing test like conditions; poor lighting, no music, etc.
Scantron bubbling hasn't added any time to my testing.

We can do this!

User avatar
JDndMSW
Posts: 602
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:32 am

Re: December 2011 LSAT Study Group

Postby JDndMSW » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:40 pm

disconnected wrote:I took for the first time PT 55, I thought I was the easiest so far.
168, highest score so far on a practice test.
LR -4
RC -3
LR -4
LG -0
I am past my plateau. I will do PT 61 tomorrow morning at 8:30 am.
I keep missing inferences; I will drill them tomorrow.
I think LR is about identifying the question type, remembering the strategy, eliminating the bad answers, then applying the truth test.

I drilled all linear logic games from 10-51, I have found a rhythm.
I will drill grouping games tomorrow.
I think LG for me is all setup, 15 sec. memorization of rules, then attack.
I quit doing the rest of the answer choices once I got the correct one; I used to do the others just to make sure, now I move on.

For RC, I find that I do best by spending a full 4 minutes on the passage, reading it for detail, and by default, memorizing it.
After reading the question, I come up with the answer, look for it among the choices, then confirm it in the passage.

This week I am getting on my test day schedule; I am getting up earlier every morning until I reach 6am wakeup.
I am reproducing test like conditions; poor lighting, no music, etc.
Scantron bubbling hasn't added any time to my testing.

We can do this!


Aw you inspired me! Good luck Saturday! Just know to expect anything on test day! I ended up in a boardroom with 7 other people in large comfy chairs with great lighting... Somehow it didn't relax me at all! Just really try and stay calm everyone. I was taking test very strictly (in a prep course) with little sleep and a long commute to get there and was scoring a lot higher then I did on test day! I think what happened truly is that I freaked myself out and put WAY too much pressure on myself! Good luck everyone! I look forward to obsessing with you about which was experimental!

User avatar
the_pakalypse
Posts: 208
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:34 pm

Re: December 2011 LSAT Study Group

Postby the_pakalypse » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:27 pm

disconnected wrote:I took for the first time PT 55, I thought I was the easiest so far.
168, highest score so far on a practice test.
LR -4
RC -3
LR -4
LG -0
I am past my plateau. I will do PT 61 tomorrow morning at 8:30 am.
I keep missing inferences; I will drill them tomorrow.
I think LR is about identifying the question type, remembering the strategy, eliminating the bad answers, then applying the truth test.

I drilled all linear logic games from 10-51, I have found a rhythm.
I will drill grouping games tomorrow.
I think LG for me is all setup, 15 sec. memorization of rules, then attack.
I quit doing the rest of the answer choices once I got the correct one; I used to do the others just to make sure, now I move on.

For RC, I find that I do best by spending a full 4 minutes on the passage, reading it for detail, and by default, memorizing it.
After reading the question, I come up with the answer, look for it among the choices, then confirm it in the passage.

This week I am getting on my test day schedule; I am getting up earlier every morning until I reach 6am wakeup.
I am reproducing test like conditions; poor lighting, no music, etc.
Scantron bubbling hasn't added any time to my testing.

We can do this!


Great attitude man. One thing I'd say is for RC don't try and memorize the passage as much as really understand what it is saying. If you can identify where the author is coming from, I think it is really helpful.

xChiTowNx
Posts: 200
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:16 am

Re: December 2011 LSAT Study Group

Postby xChiTowNx » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:20 pm

Here's an interesting read for all you guys to think about. hopefully it calms your nerves - i just did the games for December 2010 (hate stainglass) and june 2011 (freaking BALLS!)

--LinkRemoved--

My 0.02 - games are getting tougher but staying calm is the key to each section. Taking 5 sec to regroup and see the restrictions really helped me out on Stain glass. Even the ones that seem easy - linear/advanced linear and sequencing - seem to have convoluted rules set up for them.

barneytrouble
Posts: 241
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:43 pm

Re: December 2011 LSAT Study Group

Postby barneytrouble » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:27 am

PT 60
LR1: -2
LG: -0
LR2: -4
RC: -6

Raw 87/scaled 170. Thoughts... LG game 4 was HARD. Like the first game I have encountered where I was completely lost, took ~15 minutes. Party started getting really loud downstairs on sections 3 and 4, and the print job left a lot to be desired so I had to refer to pdf file half the time, certainly affected my concentration/performance. Dancing bees - lol. Fuckin bees. Worst score of my last 10, and on the most recent PT, shakes the confidence a bit. But coming in with a nice 173.3 avg on them.

final gameplan:
tues - 5 RCs 1 LG
weds - 5 RCs 1 LG 1 LR
thurs - 5 RCs 1 LG 1 LR
fri - 1 RC 1 LG
sat - ALCOHOL

crunch time ladies and gentlemen

disconnected
Posts: 96
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:30 pm

Re: December 2011 LSAT Study Group

Postby disconnected » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:23 am

How about PT 61 review on tonight at 8 p.m.?
We should meet in the Manhattan room.
The Manhattan mod will have to give access to those that are new.
Otherwise 8pm, I will be there to lead a discussion of PT 61.

User avatar
Olive
Posts: 1002
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:23 pm

Re: December 2011 LSAT Study Group

Postby Olive » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:38 am

SA1928 wrote:
disconnected wrote:How about PT 61 review on Tuesday night at 8 p.m.?


Ugh, took PT 61 this morning. I did awful...I should have been practicing timed sections the past few weeks instead of drilling maybe. Idk, my timing is terrible and it is making a HUGE impact on my scores. :(


I took PT 61 last week and also did really poorly (especially in LG). I was very gloomy after taking this test, but I'm looking at it as a snapshot of my weaknesses that I have a few last days to fix. What is your timing strategy for sections? For LR I aim for 15 in 15 minutes, RC and LG to go into the last reading/game with 10 minutes left.

I'm back in the US and ready to do this! Good luck with studying, all!

User avatar
CorkBoard
Posts: 3216
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:05 pm

Re: December 2011 LSAT Study Group

Postby CorkBoard » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:24 pm

Drilling LG today...and the cambridge assumptions questions

5 sections LG
2 sections LR for today.

Mastered parallel reasoning, I was having problems until I started to diagram them. Hoping to tackle assumptions tonight (I seem to have issues with this type).

PT tomorrow, Thursday, Friday (with 1 or 2 LG drills)

I'm going to work on LG. if I can get a perfect score on that section I think I'll score in my range...maybe higher? Wishful thinking??

Not gonna lie though, I am getting pretty nervous even though I know I've worked really hard.

User avatar
ngogirl
Posts: 125
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:40 pm

Re: December 2011 LSAT Study Group

Postby ngogirl » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:51 pm

disconnected wrote:How about PT 61 review on tonight at 8 p.m.?
We should meet in the Manhattan room.
The Manhattan mod will have to give access to those that are new.
Otherwise 8pm, I will be there to lead a discussion of PT 61.


Is that 8pm EST?

disconnected
Posts: 96
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:30 pm

Re: December 2011 LSAT Study Group

Postby disconnected » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:54 pm

I completed the PT 61 today.
The logic games were especially difficult and time consuming.
I felt the RC was easy.
The LR is still giving me trouble.
RC -2
LR1 -7
LG -7
LR2 -7
162 ugh.

I am re-doing the ones I missed without knowing the correct answer.

Any word for the Manhattan admin about tonight?

8pm EST, sorry for the lack of timezone.

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: December 2011 LSAT Study Group

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:57 pm

barneytrouble wrote:PT 60
LR1: -2
LG: -0
LR2: -4
RC: -6

Raw 87/scaled 170. Thoughts... LG game 4 was HARD. Like the first game I have encountered where I was completely lost, took ~15 minutes. Party started getting really loud downstairs on sections 3 and 4, and the print job left a lot to be desired so I had to refer to pdf file half the time, certainly affected my concentration/performance. Dancing bees - lol. Fuckin bees. Worst score of my last 10, and on the most recent PT, shakes the confidence a bit. But coming in with a nice 173.3 avg on them.

final gameplan:
tues - 5 RCs 1 LG
weds - 5 RCs 1 LG 1 LR
thurs - 5 RCs 1 LG 1 LR
fri - 1 RC 1 LG
sat - ALCOHOL

crunch time ladies and gentlemen

Be careful with trying to study every day from here on out. I think taking it easy is really important

Manhattan LSAT Noah
Posts: 746
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:43 am

Re: December 2011 LSAT Study Group

Postby Manhattan LSAT Noah » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:44 pm

disconnected wrote:Any word for the Manhattan admin about tonight?

8pm EST, sorry for the lack of timezone.

Tonight at 8pm is the final strategy session (woo-hoo!) - throwing some random questions at ya.

If a separate group wants to discuss PT61, go right ahead - we can create a break-out room for you easily. Or, y'all can do an hour of general work, and then do PT61 for an hour or so.

If anyone doesn't have access, e-mail me (look at the first post).

disconnected
Posts: 96
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:30 pm

Re: December 2011 LSAT Study Group

Postby disconnected » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:17 pm

I am willing to coordinate a separate group to discuss PT 61 AFTER the hour of general work.
I don't want to miss the strategy session.

Thanks again for hosting this.

User avatar
Olive
Posts: 1002
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:23 pm

Re: December 2011 LSAT Study Group

Postby Olive » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:41 pm

disconnected wrote:I am willing to coordinate a separate group to discuss PT 61 AFTER the hour of general work.
I don't want to miss the strategy session.

Thanks again for hosting this.


I would like to do a separate PT 61 discussion afterwards as well, if that would be okay.

xChiTowNx
Posts: 200
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:16 am

Re: December 2011 LSAT Study Group

Postby xChiTowNx » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:20 pm

On study break, hit 163 on PT 61. I feel like i'm in a mix between funk (averaging 164.5 on last 5 tests).

RC was killer, got to remember to keep fighting through the LSAT on test day.

Cool tip I picked up from watching Warrior the other day.

One of the trainers keeps telling his fighters to slow down and be patient and "listen for Beethoven" - in short, stay calm and patient. I think this Saturday will be coming down to slowing down and "listen for Beethoven aka the right answer." Being anxious and speeding through answer choices will lead to careless errors, while freaking out and throwing punches wildly (aka losing your shit on a tough LR/RC/LG) will lead to that throwing off your game for the test.

Know that you've been training for however long and look to pick your spots and land your shots on Saturday.

That is all.

Manhattan LSAT Noah
Posts: 746
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:43 am

Re: December 2011 LSAT Study Group

Postby Manhattan LSAT Noah » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:25 pm

Olive wrote:
disconnected wrote:I am willing to coordinate a separate group to discuss PT 61 AFTER the hour of general work.
I don't want to miss the strategy session.

Thanks again for hosting this.


I would like to do a separate PT 61 discussion afterwards as well, if that would be okay.

Sounds good.

User avatar
SA1928
Posts: 182
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:10 pm

Re: December 2011 LSAT Study Group

Postby SA1928 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:47 pm

Olive wrote:
disconnected wrote:I am willing to coordinate a separate group to discuss PT 61 AFTER the hour of general work.
I don't want to miss the strategy session.

Thanks again for hosting this.


I would like to do a separate PT 61 discussion afterwards as well, if that would be okay.


Just got in from work! Glad I made it, thought I would miss the session! I'm interested in doing PT 61 after the session too, although I will probably only be able to stay about 20-30 mins.

User avatar
CorkBoard
Posts: 3216
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:05 pm

Re: December 2011 LSAT Study Group

Postby CorkBoard » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:30 pm

Hey all--

We will be doing a review of PT 62 tomorrow in the Manhattan room at 7pm EST. See you guys there...

barneytrouble
Posts: 241
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:43 pm

Re: December 2011 LSAT Study Group

Postby barneytrouble » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:28 am

JamMasterJ wrote:
barneytrouble wrote:PT 60
LR1: -2
LG: -0
LR2: -4
RC: -6

Raw 87/scaled 170. Thoughts... LG game 4 was HARD. Like the first game I have encountered where I was completely lost, took ~15 minutes. Party started getting really loud downstairs on sections 3 and 4, and the print job left a lot to be desired so I had to refer to pdf file half the time, certainly affected my concentration/performance. Dancing bees - lol. Fuckin bees. Worst score of my last 10, and on the most recent PT, shakes the confidence a bit. But coming in with a nice 173.3 avg on them.

final gameplan:
tues - 5 RCs 1 LG
weds - 5 RCs 1 LG 1 LR
thurs - 5 RCs 1 LG 1 LR
fri - 1 RC 1 LG
sat - ALCOHOL

crunch time ladies and gentlemen

Be careful with trying to study every day from here on out. I think taking it easy is really important


I am really just trying to develop my rhythm again for the RCs. My best sections on that were at the tail end of me doing the whole Kaplan Mastery RC section, when the wrongness of answers was just jumping out at me for easy crossoffs.

xChiTowNx
Posts: 200
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:16 am

Re: December 2011 LSAT Study Group

Postby xChiTowNx » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:54 am

Woo.. did a 4-section timed PT "lite" mixed sections from october 2003 LR 2, RC, Games and LR 1 from 2001 to boost my morale

LR -10
RC -3
LG -2

if it were a PT, score would be 167-166ish band.

good to see i have i skills, just need to execute!

Should I PT or just drill tomorrow, then do PT 64 (Oct 2011) on Thurs?

barneytrouble
Posts: 241
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:43 pm

Re: December 2011 LSAT Study Group

Postby barneytrouble » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:59 am

xChiTowNx wrote:Woo.. did a 4-section timed PT "lite" mixed sections from october 2003 LR 2, RC, Games and LR 1 from 2001 to boost my morale

LR -10
RC -3
LG -2

if it were a PT, score would be 167-166ish band.

good to see i have i skills, just need to execute!

Should I PT or just drill tomorrow, then do PT 64 (Oct 2011) on Thurs?


I'd drill if you are taking a PT thurs




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: kryptik, Vino.Veritas and 4 guests