December 2011 LSAT Study Group

Olive

Re: December 2011 LSAT Study Group

Postby Olive » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:00 am

SA1928 wrote:
barneytrouble wrote:Another day, another 176. Peaking at the right time. Should provide for a stress free turkeyday, thank god. Didn't think I would be able to enjoy it.

Wow, that is amazing!! Keep up the good work!!

+1

Great!

barneytrouble

Postby barneytrouble » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:21 pm

Olive wrote:
SA1928 wrote:
barneytrouble wrote:Another day, another 176. Peaking at the right time. Should provide for a stress free turkeyday, thank god. Didn't think I would be able to enjoy it.

Wow, that is amazing!! Keep up the good work!!

+1

Great!

Haha actually it was PT 52, which had an item removed from scoring that I forgot about when adding my score... so a 93 instead of a 94, dropping it to a 174. I'll still take it though! The great news is that I went -2 on the RC which is my new lowest RC. Hope everyone makes Wednesday count before stuffing yourselves full of stuffing.

How many PTs is everyone going to do between now and the 3rd? I was thinking 1 a day on sat-sun-mon-tues-weds then nothing at all. Build up the ol' endurance.

calidancer2

Postby calidancer2 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:56 pm

i think i'm doing one friday, one sunday, one monday, one wednesday. but realistically i think it'll be fri-sun-tues-thurs, with friday off. which would be better? or should i do less? i'm at the end of 6 months of studying so don't want to burn out, but don't want to hurt myself by not doing everything i can prepwise, either.

180asBreath

Postby 180asBreath » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:17 pm

Personally, I feel that it would be wise to stop with the heavy prep on Wednesday (the former). However, I'm a little worried about you doing back to back tests (Sun/Mon), and I think it can be beneficial to make the 12/3 test like just another test (as it would be inline with the test day/off/test day/off pattern).

I'm really trying to figure out what separates me from doing optimally; I notice that I'm still missing ~75% of my LR's in the 20-25 section (6 of my 8 misses on both LR's, today, were in that band). I think it has to do with fatigue and nervousness; it's not really timing, I've noticed that I have plenty of time when I get to the last quartile (19-25); I had 11-12 minutes, each time, to do the last 7 questions. So I'm at a bit of a loss...

As for LG, I just need to keep practicing and keep my game tight.

As for RC, I range from -2 to -6 (with -2 being great success and -6 being epic failure). I think I grasp the passages well, and I understand the questions - I just get caught up attending to confusing aspects of the questions.

Ugh, I'm lost.

xChiTowNx

Postby xChiTowNx » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:48 pm

So my -2 in LR wasn't a fluke yesterday - went -3 in section two of PT 45 for drilling!

Could have went -2 if I didn't change my answer for the Jazz recording question!

Had a "There is no reason why I should be getting Q's wrong." moment

I felt I was reading Stims more carefully and slowing down to make sure I knew what the stims were saying seemed to be helping.

As for my PT schedule, I think I'm doing Jun 07 tomorrow, then probably PT'S 59 on Sat, PT 60 on Sunday, 62 tues, 63 Wed, and 64 Thursday.

Friday before the test will be 1 of each timed sections and then relax.

disconnected

Postby disconnected » Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:23 pm

Ugh, steady decline, I hit a wall.

Nov. 15
LSAT 51
LR - 7
RC -3
LR -5
LG -0

Nov. 17
LSAT 52
LR -8
RC -4
LR -4
LG -0

Nov. 20
LSAT 53
LR -7
LG -1
LR -9
RC -4

Nov. 21
LSAT 54
RC -8
LR -4
LG -4
LR -7

Nov. 23
LSAT 55 - too cant get myself to do it.

Burnout?

disconnected

Postby disconnected » Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:52 pm

SA1928 wrote: Have you seen Dave Hall's tips for what to do when you can get an answer down to 2 choices?

Can you elaborate on this? On the Preptest 54, on four of the last six questions, I got it down to 2 answers, and missed all four of them.

180asBreath

Postby 180asBreath » Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:56 pm

disconnected, maybe take a couple of days off - from doing PT's - and drill by LR type? It seems like you were missing 12 combined, even when you were doing well; you might have a hole in your game. Might be worth looking into.

calidancer2

Postby calidancer2 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:43 pm

Want to post my scores since i've started prepping for the retake (Oct: 169). My average pre-October was 170 which included my initial diagnostic AND a horrendous PT I had which brought my average down (at least IMO). Now:

Oct 02: 178
Jun 04: 176
Oct 04: 170
Dec 04: 172
Oct 05: 172
Jun 06: (this was the horrendous PT, a 162 pre-October) 180
Dec 08: 174
Jun 09: 171
Oct 11: (my 169), 173

Average: 174

I think I'll do another PT Friday, watch college football Saturday, PT Sunday/watch the 49ers game, PT Tuesday, volunteer Wednesday, and do some timed sections on Thursday (1 of each). Then rest Friday and pack up my bag, and DOMINATE Saturday. Gonna do 1/2 caffeine I usually do Saturday since last time I got jittery with regular caffeine+adrenaline. So 3 more PTs for me!

180asBreath

Postby 180asBreath » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:56 pm

That's how I was hoping my last 10 or so to look; alas, it wasn't in the cards :-/

Good for you, you are definitely going to get that 170+!

thelong

Postby thelong » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:38 pm

180asBreath wrote:Personally, I feel that it would be wise to stop with the heavy prep on Wednesday (the former). However, I'm a little worried about you doing back to back tests (Sun/Mon), and I think it can be beneficial to make the 12/3 test like just another test (as it would be inline with the test day/off/test day/off pattern).

I'm really trying to figure out what separates me from doing optimally; I notice that I'm still missing ~75% of my LR's in the 20-25 section (6 of my 8 misses on both LR's, today, were in that band). I think it has to do with fatigue and nervousness; it's not really timing, I've noticed that I have plenty of time when I get to the last quartile (19-25); I had 11-12 minutes, each time, to do the last 7 questions. So I'm at a bit of a loss...

As for LG, I just need to keep practicing and keep my game tight.

As for RC, I range from -2 to -6 (with -2 being great success and -6 being epic failure). I think I grasp the passages well, and I understand the questions - I just get caught up attending to confusing aspects of the questions.

Ugh, I'm lost.

Start at 11-12 work through the end of the section and then hit the easier beginning questions last. This is a method that has worked pretty well for me.

180asBreath

Postby 180asBreath » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:45 pm

I keep hearing this; I will do a couple of LR sections using this method, and see how it works for me.

Averages over the last 10:

LR combined: -7
RC: -5
LG: -1

87/100 for a 169

I don't see why I can't figure out my issue with dropping questions at the end, have a good RC section, and rock a low 170's.

Getting down to the wire!

Olive

Postby Olive » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:01 am

barneytrouble wrote:How many PTs is everyone going to do between now and the 3rd? I was thinking 1 a day on sat-sun-mon-tues-weds then nothing at all. Build up the ol' endurance.

I'm taking PT 61 on Saturday, then three PTs Wed-Friday. I know myself, and getting a routine down like this will not lead to burnout for me. If I'm not studying before the test I'll just be stressing out. Plus I'm flying back to the U.S. on Monday to take the test, and I need to adjust to the 9 hour time difference and start taking the tests in the morning (well, morning, US-time)!

disconnected

Postby disconnected » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:30 am

180asBreath wrote:disconnected, maybe take a couple of days off - from doing PT's - and drill by LR type? It seems like you were missing 12 combined, even when you were doing well; you might have a hole in your game. Might be worth looking into.

I have tracked every problem that I have missed with the spreadsheet that is floating around.
I haven't missed a question in the 1-9, miss several from 10-13, then 14-21 only missed one, then 22-27 I miss most of them.
The LR type of questions I am missing is sufficient and necessary, assumption, and inference, with increasing errors.
The RC type of questions I am missing the author's attitude, a global strengthen, or a running out of time on a logic/parallel reasoning question.
The LG type is all about speed, I miss the questions due to running out of time, plug in possibilities in an EXCEPT question.

Does anyone know of a listing of RC questions by type spreadsheet? I have the LR one, but no RC.

CorkBoard

Postby CorkBoard » Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:37 am

Last edited by CorkBoard on Tue May 22, 2012 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

CorkBoard

Postby CorkBoard » Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:41 am

Last edited by CorkBoard on Tue May 22, 2012 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Olive

Postby Olive » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:44 pm

CorkBoard wrote:Hey guys--

I'm scoring pretty consistently with a 165...which means I'm plateauing.

I'm averaging around -4/-5 per EACH section (which pisses me off because I used to rock LG).

Any tips on how to overcome the plateau over the next week? I've been listening to Dave's podcasts and getting myself prepared for attacking the questions, but I want to break the ceiling here.

What's keeping you back most - timing or logic errors? Maybe a day or two of solid drilling in each section would help. Also playing around with various timing strategies (in LR, for example, aiming to have the first 10 in 10mins or the first 15 done in 15 mins). Good luck.

CorkBoard wrote:Good luck with the studying, everybody.

Let's do this.

+1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6wRkzCW5qI

Almost there!

CorkBoard

Postby CorkBoard » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:31 pm

Last edited by CorkBoard on Tue May 22, 2012 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

SA1928

Postby SA1928 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:34 am

disconnected wrote:
SA1928 wrote: Have you seen Dave Hall's tips for what to do when you can get an answer down to 2 choices?

Can you elaborate on this? On the Preptest 54, on four of the last six questions, I got it down to 2 answers, and missed all four of them.

They are in the thread Three 180s and i'm taking your questions...I found his tips on what type of language to look for on certain question types really helpful!

Can't believe we only have about a week of prep left... I don't think I'm going to prep at all the day before the test, what About you all?

tmon

Postby tmon » Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:40 am

SA1928 wrote:
disconnected wrote:

They are in the thread Three 180s and i'm taking your questions...I found his tips on what type of language to look for on certain question types really helpful!

Can't believe we only have about a week of prep left... I don't think I'm going to prep at all the day before the test, what About you all?

There's also this page, which I think is the same thing Dave typed up:
--LinkRemoved--

Everyone should take at least one day off before the test, quite possibly more. You can't cram for the LSAT, so it's doubtful that you're going to come across something that's really going to help on the real thing. Get mentally prepared and relax as much as you're able.

disconnected

Postby disconnected » Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:04 am

Thanks for the Dave Hall information, I have been watching his videos on youtube.

My plan until the test will be Preptests on Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday; 60, 61, 57.
Logical reasoning drills on Friday, Saturday, Monday, Wednesday, and Friday; Inference, Assumption, Flaw, and Weaken.

I have my gallon ziplock with 10 pencils sharpened, a sharper, passport, watch, ticket, and water bottle.
Today I am taking a picture and using http://www.epassportphoto.com/ to get my picture ready, using a fine tip permanent marker on the back.

iamrobk

Postby iamrobk » Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:23 pm

tmon wrote:
SA1928 wrote:
disconnected wrote:

There's also this page, which I think is the same thing Dave typed up:
--LinkRemoved--

Everyone should take at least one day off before the test, quite possibly more. You can't cram for the LSAT, so it's doubtful that you're going to come across something that's really going to help on the real thing. Get mentally prepared and relax as much as you're able.

Definitely agree with taking the day off before taking the LSAT. Helped me mentally so much before I took the October one. I hadn't quite burned myself out, but my initial plan was to take a full PT the day before the test. Ended up sleeping in and not thinking about the LSAT at all, and I was able to go into the LSAT the next day feeling great about it (despite not getting more than 4-5 hours of sleep the night before... bleh, nerves). When I got to the break, I honestly didn't want to stop, I wanted to keep going.

And just wanted to remind everyone taking the December test: You CAN do better than your best PT! I did, and I know it may not seem to happen much, but believe in yourself and you'll all do great!

CorkBoard

Postby CorkBoard » Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:37 pm

Just took PT 59...160. Five point drop from my average. I bombed the LR. I usually get a few more questions correct. I'm not sure what's going on. I have a ton of work to do this week and I feel kind of stressed out.

Any tips on how to beat the burn out? I don't have any options with cutting out school work. I unfortunately begin finals two days before LSAT. Awesome. :cry:

Olive

Postby Olive » Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:40 pm

iamrobk wrote:Definitely agree with taking the day off before taking the LSAT. Helped me mentally so much before I took the October one. I hadn't quite burned myself out, but my initial plan was to take a full PT the day before the test. Ended up sleeping in and not thinking about the LSAT at all, and I was able to go into the LSAT the next day feeling great about it (despite not getting more than 4-5 hours of sleep the night before... bleh, nerves). When I got to the break, I honestly didn't want to stop, I wanted to keep going.

And just wanted to remind everyone taking the December test: You CAN do better than your best PT! I did, and I know it may not seem to happen much, but believe in yourself and you'll all do great!

Thanks for the advice and congrats on doing better than your best PT!

Would you mind giving some advice on how you managed your nerves on test day? What was your experience like when you were taking the test? I have a tendency to get thrown off when something goes wrong. Many thanks in advance!

xChiTowNx

Postby xChiTowNx » Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:55 pm

disconnected wrote:Thanks for the Dave Hall information, I have been watching his videos on youtube.

My plan until the test will be Preptests on Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday; 60, 61, 57.
Logical reasoning drills on Friday, Saturday, Monday, Wednesday, and Friday; Inference, Assumption, Flaw, and Weaken.

I have my gallon ziplock with 10 pencils sharpened, a sharper, passport, watch, ticket, and water bottle.
Today I am taking a picture and using http://www.epassportphoto.com/ to get my picture ready, using a fine tip permanent marker on the back.

Any reason for doing 57 as your last PT? is that the dino game?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”