December 2011 LSAT Study Group

LSAT Blog

Re: December 2011 LSAT Study Group

Postby LSAT Blog » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:39 pm

Maye wrote:
tmon wrote:
geverett wrote:I am only giving myself 30 minutes on each section I do. Taking the training wheels off and hope the handicap allows me to out perform my PT's on game day.

Good on you, Gev. I'm pretty sure that's what I'm going to do too. Some people suggested this when I was studying for October but I never really went through with it for fear that it would just make me rush and kill my accuracy. Hopefully I can adapt, and you too!

So I've started doing 30 min sections and my accuracy is hurt--I'm missing about 3 more on LR than I used to. I'm not timing myself on games bc I have a strange love/hate relationship w games. Either I get them or I don't, and I don't see a pattern. It happens even on regular linear games. I guess that means I should drill games more? I don't really know, and the inconsistency scares me a little.

I am hoping that my LR will get better again when I get used to the time constraints.

Want to list some games you aced, some you bombed, and we'll see if we can notice a pattern?

barneytrouble

Postby barneytrouble » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:05 pm

LSAT Blog I have always wondered.. are you one person? Or is it like a full on company with several employees all of whom post?

Maye

Postby Maye » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:32 pm

LSAT Blog wrote:
Maye wrote:
tmon wrote:
geverett wrote:I am only giving myself 30 minutes on each section I do. Taking the training wheels off and hope the handicap allows me to out perform my PT's on game day.

Good on you, Gev. I'm pretty sure that's what I'm going to do too. Some people suggested this when I was studying for October but I never really went through with it for fear that it would just make me rush and kill my accuracy. Hopefully I can adapt, and you too!

So I've started doing 30 min sections and my accuracy is hurt--I'm missing about 3 more on LR than I used to. I'm not timing myself on games bc I have a strange love/hate relationship w games. Either I get them or I don't, and I don't see a pattern. It happens even on regular linear games. I guess that means I should drill games more? I don't really know, and the inconsistency scares me a little.

I am hoping that my LR will get better again when I get used to the time constraints.

Want to list some games you aced, some you bombed, and we'll see if we can notice a pattern?

Sounds good to me. Here are my results from 4 PTs.

PT 53 S2
Game 2: confessing burglars. I got this game in about 7 mins the first time I did it, and then redid it recently and struggled. IIRC I had a much harder time with the inferences. More practice to catch the inferences, I suppose.

PT 54 S3
Game 1: six dancers on/off stage. I hate this game. I don't like these types of games, so any tips would be appreciated. I actually bought the Manhattan book solely for this game bc I wasn't getting it with Powerscore.
Game 2: review of 6 CDs: 7/7 correct
Game 3: cake w/ 6 layers: 5/6
Game 4: six contract bids: 6/6

PT 55 S4
Game 1: law students on trial teams: 5/6
Game 2: messages while on vacation. I really struggled with this game. I looked up the explanation on Manhattan's games forums but still struggled with it.
Game 3: productivity of night/day shifts. I did okay. I can make inferences for who can/cannot be at the ends of the diagram, but when it asks for things like who can't be third, that throws me off. This game was so-so.
Game 4: shuttle stops at four cities. Struggled through this one.

PT 56 S1
Game 1: sax auditions: 5/6
Game 2: moving furniture. Didn't even know where to start, really.
Game 3: trees in the park; 5/5, easy.
Game 4: executives visiting manufacturing plants: 4/7.

I worry that I'll get a group of 4 games that I can't deal with at all and completely ruin my score and my confidence. PT 54 was okay bc 3/4 games I could work on. My brain is fried!

iamrobk

Postby iamrobk » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:42 pm

Maye wrote:
LSAT Blog wrote:
Maye wrote:
tmon wrote:Good on you, Gev. I'm pretty sure that's what I'm going to do too. Some people suggested this when I was studying for October but I never really went through with it for fear that it would just make me rush and kill my accuracy. Hopefully I can adapt, and you too!

PT 53 S2
Game 2: confessing burglars. I got this game in about 7 mins the first time I did it, and then redid it recently and struggled. IIRC I had a much harder time with the inferences. More practice to catch the inferences, I suppose.

PT 54 S3
Game 1: six dancers on/off stage. I hate this game. I don't like these types of games, so any tips would be appreciated. I actually bought the Manhattan book solely for this game bc I wasn't getting it with Powerscore.
Game 2: review of 6 CDs: 7/7 correct
Game 3: cake w/ 6 layers: 5/6
Game 4: six contract bids: 6/6

PT 55 S4
Game 1: law students on trial teams: 5/6
Game 2: messages while on vacation. I really struggled with this game. I looked up the explanation on Manhattan's games forums but still struggled with it.
Game 3: productivity of night/day shifts. I did okay. I can make inferences for who can/cannot be at the ends of the diagram, but when it asks for things like who can't be third, that throws me off. This game was so-so.
Game 4: shuttle stops at four cities. Struggled through this one.

PT 56 S1
Game 1: sax auditions: 5/6
Game 2: moving furniture. Didn't even know where to start, really.
Game 3: trees in the park; 5/5, easy.
Game 4: executives visiting manufacturing plants: 4/7.

I worry that I'll get a group of 4 games that I can't deal with at all and completely ruin my score and my confidence. PT 54 was okay bc 3/4 games I could work on. My brain is fried!

Don't have much to add other than I really, REALLY doubt you'll get 4 games you can't deal with.

Maye

Postby Maye » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:43 pm

iamrobk wrote:Don't have much to add other than I really, REALLY doubt you'll get 4 games you can't deal with.

You're probably right, but I am paranoid :P

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:05 am

GoldenGloves wrote:Eich, your new photo looks more like you now. Good job.

Haha why thank you. I'm pretty damn pleased with it.

*Wonders if you know what I actually look like IRL or if you just meant my taste*

99.9luft wrote:
Eichörnchen wrote:It's 40 degrees and raining so I am freezing, but I plan on making all sorts of pumpkin spice treats, so it evens out ;) Forget about the LSAT until March and enjoy real life!

pumpkin spice treats sound delish and a good way to cozy up inside/combat the freezing. yeah you're right about march...but watch, i bet i will start PTing for fun next month...this is a serious withdrawal, i'm afraid.

I have the opposite problem - I CANNOT get myself to start studying again. It's a problem. This is why I should never take breaks. :(

KevinP

Postby KevinP » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:13 am

Wanted to wish everyone in here good luck in December (and good luck in June to 99). I see some people from the October thread that I know are going to kill the December LSAT.

moopness

Postby moopness » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:18 am

Eichörnchen wrote:I CANNOT get myself to start studying again. It's a problem. This is why I should never take breaks. :(

+1, also <3 u Kevin

99.9luft

Postby 99.9luft » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:33 am

Eich, once you start, though, we both know you'll go hard-core :)

Kev - thanks, man. PM me how you did this Oct, i'd love to hear your words of wisdom and/or rant.

Olive

Postby Olive » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:57 am

PT 60
LR Section 2, #21 (minivans)

I picked E but choice C really gave me pause. I checked the MLSAT website, but I would appreciate any ideas on this because I still don't understand this very well.

If the minivans tend to carry more passengers than other vehicles but have a low number of injuries per vehicle, then doesn't this support the idea that they aren't inherently safer but are just driven by safer drivers?

I think E gives better support, but I kind of which there was a way to eliminate C with more certainty (if that makes any sense).

LSAT Blog

Postby LSAT Blog » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:43 am

Maye wrote:
LSAT Blog wrote:Want to list some games you aced, some you bombed, and we'll see if we can notice a pattern?

Looks to me like you have trouble with games involving conditional statements, particularly grouping ones, as well as combination games.

PM me if you'd like a categorization of Logic Games so you can find more of those types to practice, as well as some tips on how I deal with games like the PT54, Game 1, with the six dancers.

iamrobk wrote:Don't have much to add other than I really, REALLY doubt you'll get 4 games you can't deal with.

+1

This seems extremely unlikely, given your results and demonstrated ability.

LSAT Blog

Postby LSAT Blog » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:47 am

barneytrouble wrote:LSAT Blog I have always wondered.. are you one person? Or is it like a full on company with several employees all of whom post?

Haha, I got a real kick out of your question, Barney. I'm just one person.

Why do you ask?

lhess218

Postby lhess218 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:07 am

I did a slew of LGs yesterday and today, and I was hoping someone could help me out. I've noticed (at least on the earlier LGs, I haven't started the most recent LGs yet) that I consistently get the last/second to last question of almost every game wrong. I know that the earlier games aren't really that common, but I was hoping someone could pick out a pattern?

PT 10
G 1: Q 5
G 2: Q 12
G 4: Q 23

PT 11
G 2: Q 11
G 3: Q 18
G 4: Q 24

PT 12
G 1: Q 6

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:25 am

99.9luft wrote:Eich, once you start, though, we both know you'll go hard-core :)

Haha yea that does tend to be how I roll...How well you know me 99.

QuincyWagstaff

Postby QuincyWagstaff » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:48 pm

lhess218 wrote:I did a slew of LGs yesterday and today, and I was hoping someone could help me out. I've noticed (at least on the earlier LGs, I haven't started the most recent LGs yet) that I consistently get the last/second to last question of almost every game wrong. I know that the earlier games aren't really that common, but I was hoping someone could pick out a pattern?

PT 10
G 1: Q 5
G 2: Q 12

PT 11
G 3: Q 18
G 4: Q 24

PT 12
G 1: Q 6

These tend to be hard/time consuming questions.

lhess218

Postby lhess218 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:17 pm

That's remarkably observant. What other words of wisdom do you have, pray tell?

QuincyWagstaff

Postby QuincyWagstaff » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:29 pm

lhess218 wrote:That's remarkably observant. What other words of wisdom do you have, pray tell?

If you get an LG question incorrect, it is more likely that that question will be near the end of the game. These questions are consistently more difficult due to the psychometrics of the LSAT. They take more time to complete, so you must bank more time earlier in the game. It's that simple.

barneytrouble

Postby barneytrouble » Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:20 pm

LSAT Blog wrote:
barneytrouble wrote:LSAT Blog I have always wondered.. are you one person? Or is it like a full on company with several employees all of whom post?

Haha, I got a real kick out of your question, Barney. I'm just one person.

Why do you ask?

Just wondering, I wouldn't want to put in all the work you do on your site/TLS myself, would definitely hire help. Appreciated either way!

Guys ok help me am I going crazy... trying to match up LRB sections with Kaplan Mastery, but there is no Justify the Conclusion section in KM.. is it just included in the Assumption section? Don't want to leave any stones unturned.

lhess218

Postby lhess218 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:40 pm

QuincyWagstaff wrote:If you get an LG question incorrect, it is more likely that that question will be near the end of the game. These questions are consistently more difficult due to the psychometrics of the LSAT. They take more time to complete, so you must bank more time earlier in the game. It's that simple.

This is more helpful. Would you recommend doing the last LG questions first like LR then?

KevinP

Postby KevinP » Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:50 pm

This is pure speculation at this point, but based on recent trends, I have a feeling December is going to feature some pretty brutal games. I would recommend not forgoing games prep.

moopness wrote:+1, also <3 u Kevin

I know you're ganna kill the test in December, I'm pretty sure you'll get a 180 or maybe high 170s. Any idea what went wrong in October?

99.9luft wrote:Eich, once you start, though, we both know you'll go hard-core :)

Kev - thanks, man. PM me how you did this Oct, i'd love to hear your words of wisdom and/or rant.

PMed. Thankfully I'm happy with my score :)

JDndMSW

Postby JDndMSW » Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:58 pm

Still have yet to crack the book :/ I am allowing myself to be ridiculous all weekend and will be back at it next week...

Maye

Postby Maye » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:38 pm

KevinP wrote:This is pure speculation at this point, but based on recent trends, I have a feeling December is going to feature some pretty brutal games. I would recommend not forgoing games prep.

What trends?

Olive

Postby Olive » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:43 pm

KevinP wrote:This is pure speculation at this point, but based on recent trends, I have a feeling December is going to feature some pretty brutal games. I would recommend not forgoing games prep.

Mind elaborating?

moopness

Postby moopness » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:20 pm

moopness wrote:+1, also <3 u Kevin

I know you're ganna kill the test in December, I'm pretty sure you'll get a 180 or maybe high 170s. Any idea what went wrong in October?

No idea, haven't really looked at the test all that much. I'm happy that you got a great score Kev, that's awesome! Any idea where you're applying?

iowalum

Postby iowalum » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:28 pm

If you're like me, you bombed the Oct. LG section. After a lot of work April-Oct I got to the point where I was -0/-1 on games and felt great... now my games confidence is shot. How do you get it back? ... I think my downfall was when I started focusing on LR exclusively a few weeks before the test. Need to get back to -0!!!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”