December 2011 LSAT Study Group

LSAT Blog

Re: December 2011 LSAT Study Group

Postby LSAT Blog » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:52 pm

jrthor10 wrote:Can anyone recommend what, they consider to be, the best resources/strategies for grouping lg? I have used the bibles and had a testmasters class, but I am hoping someone can give me a superior method. I just seem to be spending way too much time on LG which caused my downfall on the Oct. test.

Which types of grouping games? Here are some tips you can use for Grouping:In-Out games, like the birds in the forest game (PrepTest 33, Game 2):

http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/2009/12/lo ... orest.html

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:48 am

moopness wrote:
Eichörnchen wrote:
tmon wrote:
Eichörnchen wrote:[img]

Just kiddin. Soo for all of us who have been studying for....ever, do you guys have a strategy yet? I'm thinking back to basics and doing the guide books for LR and RC (I only did them for LG) and drilling.

Of course you too! :D
I thought you weren't taking in December though, or have you not decided for sure yet?

I'm going to come up with some sort of tentative 30ish day plan after I go through 64 and laugh at/selfhate on myself some more.

Alright you're off the hook - I think I am taking in Feb :P I just don't think I can squeeze in everything by Dec.

+1, I totally didn't realize that we have so little time left until the next test :( But hey, on the bright side some of the old gang (Hey Tmon! Gev! Jam! Eich! Anyone else I missed!) gets to study together again (...I guess that's not such a great thing actually, since we shouldn't have to AGAIN). It is what it is though, but this time we're all getting 180s!!! Like, for serious. Anyone with a 179 is gonna have to retake :wink:

tonton wrote:
Eichörnchen wrote:
moopness wrote:Checking in. Got a 171 for this oct test. It's going to be really hard to get over this miserable feeling to start studying again, but fuck, whatever. I don't even fucking know anymore. I don't know...go study group?

:shock:

*whispers* Moops?

Feel better. :( <3

um Moopness, 171 is making you miserable because..??

I've been getting a lot of negative messages about this, so let me explain. On my first ever practice test (my diagnostic) I had a 172. On my second ever test I got a 180. In the last couple of weeks before the official test, I got 9 straight 180s. I felt very confident about my performance on the actual test, so while I still scored relatively high, I basically spent a ton of time studying for a test only to score lower than I did without any prep. That's a pretty horrible feeling. I REALLY want to go to Columbia, and with my abysmal gpa I needed a much higher lsat. Hope that explains it. I wasn't trying to be a dick or anything, it's just honestly devastating.

I'm not here, I was just saying hello, I love you

man_utd_4l

Postby man_utd_4l » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:04 am

Has anyone used this watch for the LSAT?

http://lsatwatch.webs.com/

jrthor10

Postby jrthor10 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:30 pm

man_utd_4l wrote:Has anyone used this watch for the LSAT?

Yes. Good buy.

moopness

Postby moopness » Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:55 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:I'm not here, I was just saying hello, I love you

Oh, I see you got a 176, congrats man!

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:48 pm

moopness wrote:
Eichörnchen wrote:
tmon wrote:
Eichörnchen wrote:[img]

Just kiddin. Soo for all of us who have been studying for....ever, do you guys have a strategy yet? I'm thinking back to basics and doing the guide books for LR and RC (I only did them for LG) and drilling.

Of course you too! :D
I thought you weren't taking in December though, or have you not decided for sure yet?

I'm going to come up with some sort of tentative 30ish day plan after I go through 64 and laugh at/selfhate on myself some more.

Alright you're off the hook - I think I am taking in Feb :P I just don't think I can squeeze in everything by Dec.

+1, I totally didn't realize that we have so little time left until the next test :( But hey, on the bright side some of the old gang (Hey Tmon! Gev! Jam! Eich! Anyone else I missed!) gets to study together again (...I guess that's not such a great thing actually, since we shouldn't have to AGAIN). It is what it is though, but this time we're all getting 180s!!! Like, for serious. Anyone with a 179 is gonna have to retake :wink:

Haha yea when I decided to sit out the cycle and take this winter, I so thought I'd be foreveralone for the next few months. I was hoping I would be for your guys' sake, but really. 180 MINDSET. WE NEED 180S. You guys, take some time off before you hop back into studying though!

And people, lay off Moops. Some people are brilliant and get like 10 straight 180s. For him a 171 is underperforming and he's here to get his 180 this winter. Yea, I hate him a little too.

Just kidding <3

tmon

Postby tmon » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:56 pm

jrthor10 wrote:
man_utd_4l wrote:Has anyone used this watch for the LSAT?

Yes. Good buy.

I'll offer some caution on the lsat watch. I ordered it and after using it for definitely less than 10 sittings it broke. The pin you pull out came all the way out and it wouldn't work any more. I will say that the maker of these is very kind and I think she was going to offer me discount on a second or something, but I ended up with a much nicer watch for free by chance. However, I'll honestly say that I wouldn't get another for fear of it breaking on test day after what happened with it. That would do too much to screw with my head.

Eichörnchen wrote:Haha yea when I decided to sit out the cycle and take this winter, I so thought I'd be foreveralone for the next few months. I was hoping I would be for your guys' sake, but really. 180 MINDSET. WE NEED 180S. You guys, take some time off before you hop back into studying though!

And people, lay off Moops. Some people are brilliant and get like 10 straight 180s. For him a 171 is underperforming and he's here to get his 180 this winter. Yea, I hate him a little too.

Just kidding <3

I'm having some issues getting back into the swing of things :( . I went over 3/4 sections of the October test yesterday and I just haven't been able to get myself to do RC, which I did the worst on. I think I need to sit down and come up with a detailed daily plan like I had a while back. Otherwise I just start to slip. On the other hand, I feel like I need to chill the hell out so I can destress and not end up choking again in December. Blech.

Maye

Postby Maye » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:58 pm

tmon wrote:I'm having some issues getting back into the swing of things :( . I went over 3/4 sections of the October test yesterday and I just haven't been able to get myself to do RC, which I did the worst on. I think I need to sit down and come up with a detailed daily plan like I had a while back. Otherwise I just start to slip. On the other hand, I feel like I need to chill the hell out so I can destress and not end up choking again in December. Blech.

I say take a day or two off and get back into it this weekend. A little time away will help clear your mind!

mickeyD

Postby mickeyD » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:02 pm

debating... :|

to retake or not to retake?

y7fuxn

Postby y7fuxn » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:10 pm

My last 5 PT scores before the Oct LSAT were between 158-162. I scored a 159. I don't know if I should retake.

With only four weeks between now and the Dec LSAT, I don't even know if I can improve significantly. I want to go to Temple and their medians are 160/3.39. I have 159/3.51.

LSAC's numbers on Temple are higher than the ones listed on Temple's own website (http://www.law.temple.edu/Pages/Prospec ... _Clas.aspx). I figure LSAC uses "admitted student" data instead of "enrolled student data" which skews the results. I could be wrong.

I'm a little over their median GPA and one point under their median LSAT score. Should I retake? Any guesses as to what my chances would be?

Any feedback is appreciated, thanks.

noleknight16

Postby noleknight16 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:18 pm

y7fuxn wrote:My last 5 PT scores before the Oct LSAT were between 158-162. I scored a 159. I don't know if I should retake.

With only four weeks between now and the Dec LSAT, I don't even know if I can improve significantly. I want to go to Temple and their medians are 160/3.39. I have 159/3.51.

LSAC's numbers on Temple are higher than the ones listed on Temple's own website (http://www.law.temple.edu/Pages/Prospec ... _Clas.aspx). I figure LSAC uses "admitted student" data instead of "enrolled student data" which skews the results. I could be wrong.

I'm a little over their median GPA and one point under their median LSAT score. Should I retake? Any guesses as to what my chances would be?

Typically, a splitter is at 75% or above at LSAT or GPA, and 25% at the other. Being above 50% at GPA and one point above 25% LSAT for Temple is likely a deny (maybe waitlist). Retake for sure.

y7fuxn

Postby y7fuxn » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:25 pm

noleknight16 wrote:
y7fuxn wrote:My last 5 PT scores before the Oct LSAT were between 158-162. I scored a 159. I don't know if I should retake.

Typically, a splitter is at 75% or above at LSAT or GPA, and 25% at the other. Being above 50% at GPA and one point above 25% LSAT for Temple is likely a deny (maybe waitlist). Retake for sure.

Thanks for the insight.

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:32 pm

mickeyD wrote:debating... :|

Mickey, a 174 URM? Unless your GPA is 2.0 I think you'll be ok. ;) Not that I wouldn't like you to stick around and facilitate my becoming an LG wizard like you did.

JDndMSW

Postby JDndMSW » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:41 pm

Maye wrote:
tmon wrote:I'm having some issues getting back into the swing of things :( . I went over 3/4 sections of the October test yesterday and I just haven't been able to get myself to do RC, which I did the worst on. I think I need to sit down and come up with a detailed daily plan like I had a while back. Otherwise I just start to slip. On the other hand, I feel like I need to chill the hell out so I can destress and not end up choking again in December. Blech.

I say take a day or two off and get back into it this weekend. A little time away will help clear your mind!

Same here :/ my emotions are kinda all over the place lately... I have decided to start going through my prep books though after a nice long workout. I think what just scares me the most is fucking up again.

geverett

Postby geverett » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:54 pm

I am only giving myself 30 minutes on each section I do. Taking the training wheels off and hope the handicap allows me to out perform my PT's on game day.

tmon

Postby tmon » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:57 pm

geverett wrote:I am only giving myself 30 minutes on each section I do. Taking the training wheels off and hope the handicap allows me to out perform my PT's on game day.

Good on you, Gev. I'm pretty sure that's what I'm going to do too. Some people suggested this when I was studying for October but I never really went through with it for fear that it would just make me rush and kill my accuracy. Hopefully I can adapt, and you too!

georgia32

Postby georgia32 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:36 pm

RC has been my worst section throughout my prep, and if it gives you any indication of how I did in October I scored about my average for RC and it was my best section.

xChiTowNx

Postby xChiTowNx » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:56 pm

only thing that scored high this week was my temperature lol.

wishing everyone good health in their studies!

any tips on how to rebound after i recover appreciated!

Thanks.

mickeyD

Postby mickeyD » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:40 pm

Eichörnchen wrote:

Mickey, a 174 URM? Unless your GPA is 2.0 I think you'll be ok. ;) Not that I wouldn't like you to stick around and facilitate my becoming an LG wizard like you did.

Haha I fear the beast that is "averaging." And I would be glad to stick around and cheer you all on! To be honest I miss studying :(

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:03 pm

mickeyD wrote:
Eichörnchen wrote:

Haha I fear the beast that is "averaging." And I would be glad to stick around and cheer you all on! To be honest I miss studying :(

Ah, I don't think we need to fear the beast as much nowadays. I think that USNWR changed the rankings so that schools only need to report your highest score. Besides with your #s even if they did average...still. URM with a 174 - you're good. Accept your fate.

--ImageRemoved--

99.9luft

Postby 99.9luft » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:09 pm

Eich, Gev, Mickey, Tmon...this feels like home. Miss this.

If any one of you postpones until June, PM me. For some reason, I have a feeling this will be a long winter.

tmon

Postby tmon » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:10 pm

Eichörnchen wrote:
mickeyD wrote:
Eichörnchen wrote:

Ah, I don't think we need to fear the beast as much nowadays. I think that USNWR changed the rankings so that schools only need to report your highest score. Besides with your #s even if they did average...still. URM with a 174 - you're good. Accept your fate.

[img]

I second this advice :)

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:16 pm

99.9luft wrote:Eich, Gev, Mickey, Tmon...this feels like home. Miss this.

If any one of you postpones until June, PM me. For some reason, I have a feeling this will be a long winter.

Hi 99! You should hang around here sometimes. :) Now comes the challenge for me - getting motivated to start studying again. After withdrawing Oct, I stopped studying. I am the worst with breaks. It takes me forever to get the fire back. Bleh. I need grand inspiration.

GoldBootShawty

Postby GoldBootShawty » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:30 pm

Do you guys find it more effective to read the stimulus first or question stem on LR q's?

moopness

Postby moopness » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:55 pm

GoldBootShawty wrote:Do you guys find it more effective to read the stimulus first or question stem on LR q's?

I read the stimulus first, since I find it distracting to read the Qstem first, but many have said that reading the Qstem first has been beneficial to them.

Also
mickeyD wrote: To be honest I miss studying :(

U crazy bro :P

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”