December 2011 LSAT Study Group

happyshapy

Re: December 2011 LSAT Study Group

Postby happyshapy » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:42 pm

Olive wrote:Welcome, October people!

I'm sorry you all are having to studying for this test again. Hopefully just six more weeks to a better score!

Based on your Oct. experience what advice would you give us for December in terms of test taking strategy/test day nerves/etc?

What do you think you learned from the Oct test that you are not going to do this time around?

Thanks in advance!

not rush....worst mistake ever.

GoldBootShawty

Postby GoldBootShawty » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:43 pm

I'm new here just got my scores back.. I'm unhappy to say da least.. Is it too late for me to join you guys for Dec 11 prep??

noleknight16

Postby noleknight16 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:44 pm

GoldBootShawty wrote:I'm new here just got my scores back.. I'm unhappy to say da least.. Is it too late for me to join you guys for Dec 11 prep??

Welcome aboard! If you have any specific questions about the LSAT, I'm sure one of us in the group can help you. :D

Best of luck in your studying for December. We're gonna rock it!

Dash41

Postby Dash41 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:53 pm

I'm sorry you all are having to studying for this test again. Hopefully just six more weeks to a better score!

Based on your Oct. experience what advice would you give us for December in terms of test taking strategy/test day nerves/etc?

What do you think you learned from the Oct test that you are not going to do this time around?

Thanks in advance!

I was groggy coming in at 8:30am. I took most of my PT's in the afternoon, and I think that had an effect. I'm going to experiment with using 5 hour energy. Never taken any kind of stimulant before, but desperate times call for desperate measures. Simulate game day experience.

Also, make sure you have a routine down with using your watch as a timer. I had basically just used my stopwatch on my iphone because I wanted exact time, but the day of the test I messed up the timer on my watch for the 2nd section. Probably because I panicked because of the games, but I wasn't ready for the quick turnaround and it cost me on my 2nd section because I had no clue on time.

I'm going to think on what else and try and readdress this question. I know I definitely need to study more. I did about 120 or so LGs as practice after reading the LG bible. And then I basically jumped right into taking practice tests with about 2-3 weeks before the test. It was through the PT's that I got consistent with LR. My first PT's were in the 160-162 range (right where I scored on this one) when my LR sucked. As I kept taking PT's (about 8) my LR rose. The last 4 tests I took I scored from a 167, 167, 169, 167. I got cocky thinking I was awesome at LR, but obviously it screwed me over on the real deal.

I did read the LR bible once in July, but honestly, I have been going by on feel for the most part. I used their basic overall test strategies, like recognize the stimulus and argument, conditional stuff, but not too much else. I feel like it is again too late in the game to try and adopt some of their stuff, and I think my natural gut is right a lot. Not sure what went wrong on test day. I didn't perform up to par on LG and RC, but those were scores I could have handled if I did how I normally did on LR. Going to think on how to approach my study. Probably go through my LR by types. Do A TON of those.

Dash41

Postby Dash41 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:56 pm

happyshapy wrote:
Dash41 wrote:
happyshapy wrote:
Dash41 wrote:I'm glad I saved 4 recent PT's.

Also, I usually dominate LR. Like I averaged around 2 to 3 missed. I even score 0 on a section before. I missed 6 and 8. That is what killed me. I thought I bombed the first LR and dominated the second LR, yet I did better on the first LR. No clue.

same. this test seemed to focus on my weak points...parallel reasoning, sufficient assumptions, and attractive wrong answer choices.

I see you were PTing around 169. I was PTing around 167-168. I don't know how we could have dropped so much. Any idea how you're going to approach the retake?

I'm going to take it in June because I really think taking it at noon will help me. I'm really foggy in the morning.

I also need to work on my weaknesses. I bought the cambridge books by type but I only got through half of the first one before I started working on full PTs. I did all the power score bibles previously. My biggest problem was nerves so I figured PTs were the way to go to get used to self pacing. I KNEW I had a major weakness in suff assumption under intense pressure and I didn't do anything about it. Major mistake. I also spent WAY too much time in LG on the third game when I should have moved on. The second game was easy and had I not rushed it I wouldn't have mis-read the last rule. I have no clue what to do about RC. I crush RC, my methods work for me. I thought I went -2 at the most, but ended up with -8. I really did bad on the last passage even though I was sure it went great.

I'm feeling so down. I studied pretty hard for a long time...I know people say re-take because they did bad and then jumped their scores like 10 points, but I feel like they always say they they didn't study the first time and when they got the bibles they did really well.

I really want to take it in June as well, but like I said, I need a backup plan for this year. I don't feel comfortable with my 3.41 and 161 this cycle. Honestly, I just need one school to offer me full tuition or close to it. The school doesn't matter much, as I think I have a great shot at getting my internship for next year. However, I do need that backup plan unfortunately. I want to take it in June when I will have lots of free time to study so I can maximize my score for the Fall 2013 cycle. Knowing me I'll probably take it for a 3rd time in June again. Hopefully when I take it then I'll be aiming for a 175+.

Dash41

Postby Dash41 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:57 pm

happyshapy wrote:

Thanks in advance!

That goes back to the timing thing. Make sure you have plenty of practice with your watch. You need to be comfortable with it and be ready to reset it fast. My watch was a little loose when it comes to setting the time, and that was a big nerve wracking thing for me.

GoldBootShawty

Postby GoldBootShawty » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:59 pm

noleknight16 wrote:
GoldBootShawty wrote:I'm new here just got my scores back.. I'm unhappy to say da least.. Is it too late for me to join you guys for Dec 11 prep??

Welcome aboard! If you have any specific questions about the LSAT, I'm sure one of us in the group can help you. :D

Best of luck in your studying for December. We're gonna rock it!

preesh!!!!

I put in a solid 8 weeks before the OCT test(went through powerscore LG an LR twice) felt like i was plenty prepared only had 1 point improvement over my original test which foolishly i took without prior preparation.... I have 5 and a half weeks til dec what do u suggest this time around??

SparkleBirdie

Postby SparkleBirdie » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:01 pm

I'm new too-just got my score. So disappointed. It was abysmally terrible. I'm currently making a new study schedule and working on my confidence.

Manhattan LSAT Noah

Postby Manhattan LSAT Noah » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:03 pm

Hey All, we're going to do strategy session 7 tomorrow night - Laya is leading. 8pm ET. Have fun.

GoldBootShawty

Postby GoldBootShawty » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:08 pm

Manhattan LSAT Noah wrote:Hey All, we're going to do strategy session 7 tomorrow night - Laya is leading. 8pm ET. Have fun.

how do da new ppl sign up?

Dash41

Postby Dash41 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:10 pm

Manhattan LSAT Noah wrote:Hey All, we're going to do strategy session 7 tomorrow night - Laya is leading. 8pm ET. Have fun.

What exactly goes on in a strategy session?

happyshapy

Postby happyshapy » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:24 pm

Dash41 wrote:
happyshapy wrote:

Thanks in advance!

That goes back to the timing thing. Make sure you have plenty of practice with your watch. You need to be comfortable with it and be ready to reset it fast. My watch was a little loose when it comes to setting the time, and that was a big nerve wracking thing for me.

I'm pretty confident in my internal pacing but I let that fly out the window on this test. I rushed and misread questions stems, logic game rules. I just went over all the questions I got wrong and I'm pretty appalled at how I missed the obvious answer. Also in RC because of the high stakes nature of the real test I didn't choice the right answer because it wasn't perfect but then ended up choosing an even worse answer. On a PT I would choose what I thought was best and move on....

SA1928

Postby SA1928 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:46 pm

For those of you who were asking about signing up for the study group! Here is the OP from Olive :)

Olive wrote:I know it is early for some people, but I will have a strange schedule this fall and so have begun preparing for the December LSAT a bit early.

I'm retaking the test. I'll be doing timed sections and full tests starting with the late 20s and 30s this month.

Hopefully we can help each other out here in the months to come.

Good luck!

-------
UPDATE

While we can still use this thread to post our progress and help each other out, Noah at Manhattan LSAT was kind enough to let us start a December study group - feel free to join, it is completely free. As groups are set-up, we'll post the meeting schedules here.

Here is the study schedule for the group: Study Schedule for December group

If you'd like to join the December Study Group, follow these directions:

1. Follow this link to create a profile: https://www.manhattanlsat.com/createaccount.cfm
2. E-mail Manhattan LSAT Noah (noah@manhattanlsat.com). He'll send you the link to the room and give you access to some online resources.

iowalum

Postby iowalum » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:12 am

After receiving Oct. score:

1. threw laptop
2. cried for an hour
3. went shopping
4. stopped being a whiny loser and got over it
5. signed up for Dec.
6. win. (hopefully)

So what are other re-takers using for study materials? I pretty much used up everything I had thinking I wouldn't have to re-take. I guess there's a creative study tips thread around here somewhere...

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:09 am

moopness wrote:Checking in. Got a 171 for this oct test. It's going to be really hard to get over this miserable feeling to start studying again, but fuck, whatever. I don't even fucking know anymore. I don't know...go study group?

:shock:

*whispers* Moops?

Feel better. :( <3

georgia32

Postby georgia32 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:03 am

Oh hai. Anyone have motivational tips to start studying again?

tonton

Postby tonton » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:29 am

Eichörnchen wrote:
moopness wrote:Checking in. Got a 171 for this oct test. It's going to be really hard to get over this miserable feeling to start studying again, but fuck, whatever. I don't even fucking know anymore. I don't know...go study group?

*whispers* Moops?

um Moopness, 171 is making you miserable because..??

geverett

Postby geverett » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:38 am

164 after 172/173 avg. I need to pull it together for December. Let's go team!

lhess218

Postby lhess218 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:16 am

Hey everyone!

I'm Laya (or Layla, as most of you know me). I'll be the mod for the session at 8pm tonight. For the people who don't know, the study sessions are run by a volunteer/fellow LSAT-studier, and each week, we go over a different LR/RC/LG area. This week, we are doing MLSAT's Analyze the Argument and Binary Grouping II. It is (and I say this not sarcastically) a fun time.

If you're interested in being a mod for a session, mention it to Noah when you sign up for the study group. Session 8's already covered, but I think the rest are all free.

See you tonight!

sportgirl234

Postby sportgirl234 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:33 am

Hey i'm sorry where do we go to participate?

lhess218

Postby lhess218 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:43 am

Olive wrote:While we can still use this thread to post our progress and help each other out, Noah at Manhattan LSAT was kind enough to let us start a December study group - feel free to join, it is completely free. As groups are set-up, we'll post the meeting schedules here.

Here is the study schedule for the group: Study Schedule for December group

If you'd like to join the December Study Group, follow these directions:

1. Follow this link to create a profile: https://www.manhattanlsat.com/createaccount.cfm
2. E-mail Manhattan LSAT Noah (noah@manhattanlsat.com). He'll send you the link to the room and give you access to some online resources.

moopness

Postby moopness » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:07 am

Eichörnchen wrote:

*whispers* Moops?

Thanks, getting drunk helped (a lot). Are you taking the test in June?

iamrobk

Postby iamrobk » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:35 am

I took the October test (got a 171 which I am extremely proud of, so I'm not taking the LSAT again fortunately), just popping in here to say good luck to every one taking it in December. It may be tough, but you can do better on the real thing than you do on PT's. My highest PT's were 170 (the last 5 or 6 tests I took before the LSAT were consistently 169-170), and I did a point better than that on the October one. So don't give up hope!

Olive

Postby Olive » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:25 pm

iamrobk wrote:I took the October test (got a 171 which I am extremely proud of, so I'm not taking the LSAT again fortunately), just popping in here to say good luck to every one taking it in December. It may be tough, but you can do better on the real thing than you do on PT's. My highest PT's were 170 (the last 5 or 6 tests I took before the LSAT were consistently 169-170), and I did a point better than that on the October one. So don't give up hope!

Many thanks!

Do you think you could give us some advice that you thought helped you on test day? Nerves, timing, routine, etc?

Good luck with your cycle.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:25 pm

geverett wrote:164 after 172/173 avg. I need to pull it together for December. Let's go team!

I don't like this post

or this one

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”