December 2011 LSAT Study Group

LSAT Blog

Re: December 2011 LSAT Study Group

Postby LSAT Blog » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:01 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
Olive wrote:I posted this in the waiting thread, but I'm going to post this here for the October people joining the thread.

Olive wrote:Good luck waiting for scores, all.

Now that you've taken the LSAT, what advice would you give about test day stress? Any insights and advice? Did something work or not work?

Any other general tips about the test while the test taking experience is still fresh would be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Don't try to ignore it. You can't. Remember how you've approached every other test you've taken. Do each section the same way that you have in the past and understand that the stress is going to be there, but it doesn't have to cripple you

+1

Let the stress and adrenaline hone your concentration. Nothing in the world exists beyond the test booklet in front of you.

One of your objectives while completing timed practice tests should be to develop the focus of a laser beam.

ngogirl

Postby ngogirl » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:08 pm

Schang1 wrote:
ngogirl wrote:Hey guys!!

We have another session today.. It is at 8:00pm in the elluminate room, I will be leading the session! :P

On a side note, we are supposed to take PT 54 this week, I'm thinking of doing it tomorrow and am open for review Thursday or Friday at 8:00pm, anyone interested in joining me?

I'd love to! :) I already took that one so am ready to discuss!

Yaay!! Does thursday at 8:00pm work for you?

Schang1

Postby Schang1 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:25 pm

ngogirl wrote:
Schang1 wrote:

We have another session today.. It is at 8:00pm in the elluminate room, I will be leading the session! :P

On a side note, we are supposed to take PT 54 this week, I'm thinking of doing it tomorrow and am open for review Thursday or Friday at 8:00pm, anyone interested in joining me?

It sure does! 8pm ET right? Cuz i'm in Texas, so that would be 7pm for me :)

ngogirl

Postby ngogirl » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:50 pm

Schang1 wrote:
ngogirl wrote:
Schang1 wrote:

It sure does! 8pm ET right? Cuz i'm in Texas, so that would be 7pm for me :)

Yep! EST!! See you then :D

ngogirl

Postby ngogirl » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:39 pm

tehrocstar wrote:blah...I know I agreed to review PT54, can't any longer, work is hella busy this week. Probably won't make tonight's session either. :(

Aww that's too bad, you will be missed! Maybe next time, then. Nice avatar!

lhess218

Postby lhess218 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:22 pm

1) I'd like to join the PT 54 review on Thursday.

2) I missed today's session. Can someone send me the questions we went over, or are they already listed on the syllabus?

ngogirl

Postby ngogirl » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:33 pm

lhess218 wrote:1) I'd like to join the PT 54 review on Thursday.

2) I missed today's session. Can someone send me the questions we went over, or are they already listed on the syllabus?

I think they are listed in the syllabus! Yes, come join us on Thursday 8:00pm EST in the study room!! So far there are 3 of us, 4 including you!! Anyone can join, just show up!

law_girl1

Postby law_girl1 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:39 pm

Count me in as well! Retaking since who knows how saturday went (darn those games!)

lhess218

Postby lhess218 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:17 am

Does anyone have advice on endurance towards the end of the test? I took PT 54 last night, and I noticed that for the first three sections, I did really well (-1/-2). The last two (counting the experimental)..... not so much. I haven't taken consistent (more than one a week) PTs yet, so I'm wondering if it's because I'm not 100% used to it.

totaltest.milan

Postby totaltest.milan » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:56 am

Endurance comes with training, with the LSAT as with boxing. Do more PTs not only to get used to them but to give your mind a workout so that over time you'll get less fatigued dealing with all that information. And of course, as you get better at doing individual question types you'll spend less energy on them thus conserving your energy for the later parts of the test. One PT a week (depending on how much free time you have) is generally not enough.

Manhattan LSAT Noah

Postby Manhattan LSAT Noah » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:05 pm

Great session, ngogirl!

Dami's got next week's...

aeiouy

Postby aeiouy » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:37 pm

Trying something new tonight: Going to drill an LR section, then go through every single question again before grading. I've been missing questions all over the place, not just one type, and many are reading errors. I usually finish with 5-10 minutes to spare, so I'm going to see if redoing the entire section - while not practical for real practice - will help my overall score. Maybe that's the kick in the ass I need to focus more. I guess I want to reaffirm my suspicions that I have the ability to do the questions, but the execution is lacking.

lhess218

Postby lhess218 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:01 pm

aeiouy wrote:Trying something new tonight: Going to drill an LR section, then go through every single question again before grading. I've been missing questions all over the place, not just one type, and many are reading errors. I usually finish with 5-10 minutes to spare, so I'm going to see if redoing the entire section - while not practical for real practice - will help my overall score. Maybe that's the kick in the ass I need to focus more. I guess I want to reaffirm my suspicions that I have the ability to do the questions, but the execution is lacking.

I'm having the same problem. I've also noticed that even when I'm doing just LR section drills, I end up doing really erratically (like -2 for one section and then -8 for the next section :shock: ).
I'll probably do the same type of drill/review tomorrow morning, so we can at least commiserate together.

ngogirl

Postby ngogirl » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:28 pm

We're supposed to do 55 this week, does Thursday around 8pm work for people? or would you all rather do 6 or 7pm?

xChiTowNx

Postby xChiTowNx » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:34 pm

Just signed up for December, making it official. Also starting a class this week - I am excited. +/- 8 weeks to live/breathe LSAT (with the occasional football study break).

also, anyone want to share good instrumental study music? been using Explosions/Vitamin String and want to know what else is out there.

LSAT Blog

Postby LSAT Blog » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:38 pm

xChiTowNx wrote:Just signed up for December, making it official. Also starting a class this week - I am excited. +/- 8 weeks to live/breathe LSAT (with the occasional football study break).

also, anyone want to share good instrumental study music? been using Explosions/Vitamin String and want to know what else is out there.

+1 on Explosions in the Sky

For more instrumental rock, try Mogwai, Royksopp, and Godspeed You Black Emperor.

Electronic might also work since it has no vocals. Try Aphex Twin and Boards of Canada.

Maye

Postby Maye » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:25 pm

Is anyone else getting kind of nervous? For a while I was fine because December seemed so far off, but now we're past the two month mark and it's freaking me out. Eeek

tehrocstar

Postby tehrocstar » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:04 pm

Maye wrote:Is anyone else getting kind of nervous? For a while I was fine because December seemed so far off, but now we're past the two month mark and it's freaking me out. Eeek

Me too! Today is my first day taking off from studying in over a week and I feel kind of guilty. Less than 8 weeks feel like crunch time.

Maye

Postby Maye » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:29 pm

tehrocstar wrote:
Maye wrote:Is anyone else getting kind of nervous? For a while I was fine because December seemed so far off, but now we're past the two month mark and it's freaking me out. Eeek

Me too! Today is my first day taking off from studying in over a week and I feel kind of guilty. Less than 8 weeks feel like crunch time.

Yeah, I took Saturday off to relax bc I felt like I earned it, but I spent the whole time feeling guilty and didn't enjoy my time off, lol. I'm in the library now. Don't feel guilty! You've earned a day off! Maybe even two!

SA1928

Postby SA1928 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:37 pm

Definitely feeling really nervous already! I postponed from October to December and I already feel like I won't be ready for December...gotta work on that confidence :(

noleknight16

Postby noleknight16 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:09 pm

SA1928 wrote:

Definitely feeling really nervous already! I postponed from October to December and I already feel like I won't be ready for December...gotta work on that confidence :(

I did the same. It's now or never. Gotta get those apps in and hopefully we score well enough we don't need February :)

Olive

Postby Olive » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:38 pm

If I calculated right we have eight weeks left.

I took off this weekend completely and I'm glad I did it, but I am definitely ready to get back to studying. I feel like I am making decent progress so I'm not too nervous.

Keep studying well and we'll be a happy lot in December!
Last edited by Olive on Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:14 am

LSAT Blog wrote:
xChiTowNx wrote:Just signed up for December, making it official. Also starting a class this week - I am excited. +/- 8 weeks to live/breathe LSAT (with the occasional football study break).

For more instrumental rock, try Mogwai, Royksopp, and Godspeed You Black Emperor.

Electronic might also work since it has no vocals. Try Aphex Twin and Boards of Canada.

Boards of Canada is good although it can make me sleepy. :) I listen to a lot of Deadmau5, Pretty Lights and Ratatat. I also like the Bloody Beetroots for studying...but they might be a bit much for most people. They sort of make me feel like getting into a fight with the LSAT 8)

Olive

Postby Olive » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:46 am

Eichörnchen wrote:
LSAT Blog wrote:

Boards of Canada is good although it can make me sleepy. :) I listen to a lot of Deadmau5, Pretty Lights and Ratatat. I also like the Bloody Beetroots for studying...but they might be a bit much for most people. They sort of make me feel like getting into a fight with the LSAT 8)

Those are great suggestions. Outside of classical music I would also suggest Sigur Rós, 65daysofstatic, From Monument to Masses and God Is An Astronaut.

Edit: And Riceboy Sleeps

lhess218

Postby lhess218 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:55 am

ngogirl wrote:We're supposed to do 55 this week, does Thursday around 8pm work for people? or would you all rather do 6 or 7pm?

7pm might be better.... considering we went until 11pm/12 am last session. :)

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”