December 2011 LSAT Study Group

LSAT Blog

Re: December 2011 LSAT Study Group

Postby LSAT Blog » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:21 am

Olive wrote:if anyone has an explanation for PT 48 RC passage #3, question 14 (specifically why B is not supported by lines 45-51), I'd appreciate it.

The question is asking for the most-complete description of what it means to be a property owner - the answer doesn't necessarily need to be found in 44-51. While B describes some qualities that a property owner might have (and that native Canadians often lack), it's certainly not comprehensive when it comes to defining what it means to be a property owner. Look at the philosophy described in lines 20-22 - being able to do anything one wants without limitation. This portion of the passage, starting with the beginning of paragraph 2, is concerned with describing the concept of being a property owner.

Maye

Postby Maye » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:00 pm

I'll be taking PT 38 tomorrow morning, timed and under test conditions, in solidarity with our friends taking the actual LSAT.

tibbs1179

Postby tibbs1179 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:10 pm

Hello Decemberists! I withdrew from October test today and signed up for December. I look forward to working with all of you! :D

I'm retaking from June 2011 where I got a 162. Currently PTing in the 167 - 172 range. Need to get this to be consistenly in the 170s. Unfortunately, due to extenuating circumstances, I was not able to put in the effort from June until now needed to improve my PTs consistently into the 170s (hence the withdrawal from Oct), but things have settled and I'm confident that I can go all out between now and December. Weakest section by far is games: routinely -6 to -8. I'm always running out of time and resorting to random guessing. I have tried various time mgmt strats (doing games with the most questions first, trying to rank them in order of difficulty) but so far to no avail. LR and RC are both fine. I'm thinking of springing for a private tutor just to get a fresh perspective on games so it doesn't feel like I'm just banging my head against a wall. However, maybe I'll just reread the LG Bible first and go from there. Thoughts?

glucose101

Postby glucose101 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:23 pm

tag*

SA1928

Postby SA1928 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:44 pm

-----
tibbs1179 wrote:Hello Decemberists! I withdrew from October test today and signed up for December. I look forward to working with all of you! :D

I'm retaking from June 2011 where I got a 162. Currently PTing in the 167 - 172 range. Need to get this to be consistenly in the 170s. Unfortunately, due to extenuating circumstances, I was not able to put in the effort from June until now needed to improve my PTs consistently into the 170s (hence the withdrawal from Oct), but things have settled and I'm confident that I can go all out between now and December. Weakest section by far is games: routinely -6 to -8. I'm always running out of time and resorting to random guessing. I have tried various time mgmt strats (doing games with the most questions first, trying to rank them in order of difficulty) but so far to no avail. LR and RC are both fine. I'm thinking of springing for a private tutor just to get a fresh perspective on games so it doesn't feel like I'm just banging my head against a wall. However, maybe I'll just reread the LG Bible first and go from there. Thoughts?

Have you tried the Manhattan LG book? I found their methods to be somewhat more straight forward than the bible's methods. (and I'm not just saying that because they hook us up with the room and all that!)

I would suggest to make sure you are spending enough time on the diagram, but not too much time that you do not have time to analyze the questions. Once you can get your diagram and inferences down, it should help you pick up the speed. I also found that re-doing the same game a few times helped me to learn to make inferences. I learned to see some patterns that are pretty common among that game type, which helped me get faster on different games of the same type.

Olive

Postby Olive » Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:48 pm

LSAT Blog wrote:
Olive wrote:if anyone has an explanation for PT 48 RC passage #3, question 14 (specifically why B is not supported by lines 45-51), I'd appreciate it.

The question is asking for the most-complete description of what it means to be a property owner - the answer doesn't necessarily need to be found in 44-51. While B describes some qualities that a property owner might have (and that native Canadians often lack), it's certainly not comprehensive when it comes to defining what it means to be a property owner. Look at the philosophy described in lines 20-22 - being able to do anything one wants without limitation. This portion of the passage, starting with the beginning of paragraph 2, is concerned with describing the concept of being a property owner.

Thank you very much.

PT 40, RC Passage 3, Q19

How is the answer A? I think I'm missing something big because I thought the passage stated all of the answer choices.

ngogirl

Postby ngogirl » Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:32 pm

Olive wrote:
LSAT Blog wrote:

Thank you very much.

PT 40, RC Passage 3, Q19

How is the answer A? I think I'm missing something big because I thought the passage stated all of the answer choices.

There is no explicit information alluding that there is a limit on non neutrinos. We only know that neutrinos are numerous from line 45, and that non neutrinos probably make up for the missing mass. However, there is no information about non neutrinos explicitly or implicitly referred to in the passage.. HTH

equivocation

Postby equivocation » Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:24 pm

Hey all. Just bombed and cancelled today, too late to join the Dec. study group?? Thought I had Oct. in the bag - but I bombed. :(

lhess218

Postby lhess218 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:33 pm

the more, the merrier. I'm sure December will be much better!

equivocation

Postby equivocation » Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:47 pm

lhess218 wrote:the more, the merrier. I'm sure December will be much better!

Thanks, I certainly hope so!

ngogirl

Postby ngogirl » Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:58 pm

It's never too late to join the December group!!

We have a study session every Tuesday at 8:00pm, if you are interested in joining PM Manhattan LSAT Noah for the link!!

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:11 pm

Hello Decemberists!

--ImageRemoved--

I was in the Oct thread (and the June before that...ahem. LSAT, I just can't let you go. <3) but I decided about a week ago to sit out this cycle to wander the world before going to law school. I still want to get the LSAT out of the way first, so I'll be taking in either Dec or Feb. I'll probably check in here every now and again, so hi! :mrgreen:

aeiouy

Postby aeiouy » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:40 pm

Hiiii Eich!

Main motivation for me to rock it in December is so I can enjoy my last semester of college. I've never had fun because I've always been bitter about attending a safety, so maybe I'll drop my attitude and enjoy it.

SA1928

Postby SA1928 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:50 pm

Eichörnchen wrote:Hello Decemberists!

--ImageRemoved--

I was in the Oct thread (and the June before that...ahem. LSAT, I just can't let you go. <3) but I decided about a week ago to sit out this cycle to wander the world before going to law school. I still want to get the LSAT out of the way first, so I'll be taking in either Dec or Feb. I'll probably check in here every now and again, so hi! :mrgreen:

Welcome! :) If it makes you feel any better, I've been planning to take the LSAT since last October, but have yet to take an actual test! I better be mentally ready by December...

Your plan sounds awesome! Very jealous :)

wolfpack-avvocato

Postby wolfpack-avvocato » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:57 pm

I really hope I don't have to join this thread, even though you all look like quite a nice bunch. I'm just not feeling super about the LSAT today :|

emkay625

Postby emkay625 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:26 pm

equivocation wrote:Hey all. Just bombed and cancelled today, too late to join the Dec. study group?? Thought I had Oct. in the bag - but I bombed. :(

Checking in for the same reason!

emkay625

Postby emkay625 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:30 pm

Okay, so call me crazy, but my plan for December is to study less.

I went all out for this test today and got screwed by my own head. I'd taken every PT from 30 on and had done all of the other questions either by using them for exp. sections or for drilling. I did all 3 bibles.

December plan is as follows:
-For the next month, do nothing.
-Then, from Nov 1 on, do study 3 times a week. 2 of those times, do a full PT and review. The other time, drill the Q-types I missed during that week's PTs.

And that's all she wrote.

Feel free to criticize or make suggestions.

wolfpack-avvocato

Postby wolfpack-avvocato » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:56 pm

emkay625 wrote:Okay, so call me crazy, but my plan for December is to study less.

I went all out for this test today and got screwed by my own head. I'd taken every PT from 30 on and had done all of the other questions either by using them for exp. sections or for drilling. I did all 3 bibles.

-Then, from Nov 1 on, do study 3 times a week. 2 of those times, do a full PT and review. The other time, drill the Q-types I missed during that week's PTs.

Honestly, I think If I am unhappy with my score I'm switching to Manhattan. I don't need any help with RC, just need practice for timing reasons. But the Manhattan Forum on LR and LG just seem to break it down so much better than then PS Bibles. We'll see though. My GPA will not allow me to get into a T14 except NU if I get a great score. I may be doomed to a regional....which is fine, I want to be a DA, not a BigLaw attorney. However if I got accepted to NU.......

emkay625

Postby emkay625 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:00 pm

wolfpack-avvocato wrote:
emkay625 wrote:Okay, so call me crazy, but my plan for December is to study less.

Honestly, I think If I am unhappy with my score I'm switching to Manhattan. I don't need any help with RC, just need practice for timing reasons. But the Manhattan Forum on LR and LG just seem to break it down so much better than then PS Bibles. We'll see though. My GPA will not allow me to get into a T14 except NU if I get a great score. I may be doomed to a regional....which is fine, I want to be a DA, not a BigLaw attorney. However if I got accepted to NU.......

You and I are very much in the same boat my friend.

SA1928

Postby SA1928 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:33 pm

emkay625 wrote:
wolfpack-avvocato wrote:

You and I are very much in the same boat my friend.

I prepped pretty hard for the October test as well, and in the first week of September when I switched from PS bibles/section practicing to full PTs, I knew I wasn't going to be ready for October. I slowed down a lot since then (was prepping like 7-8 hours a day, gross) and realized that the PS books weren't really working for me. Originally, I would only go a minute or two over in LR, but after I tried to apply their methods, I found myself taking way too long. I know that practice is key so I tried just doing more practice, but still struggled with timing. Without timing, I was able to score in the high 170s, but with timing I found myself dropping into the low 160s.

I switched over to Manhattan about 10 days ago and have gone through the first 5 chapters of the book for LR...so far though, I feel a lot more confident while reading the stimulus and there seems to be less steps for each question type, which is what tripped me up a lot with PS. I felt like each question I had to have a brand new track of thought (and maybe I just didn't read it correctly), but either way, Manhattan has helped me out a lot with taking a direct route to the answer. I can't vouch as much for LGs because I was doing fine with them before I started practicing with the Manhattan book, but I would definitely recommend picking up a copy of the LR book by Manhattan LSAT.

TrojanHopeful

Postby TrojanHopeful » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:04 pm

If I decide to retake I'll be pretty much following the same study plan. Don't plan to do much the next month and starting November 1 I will study a few times a week solely doing practice tests.

Olive

Postby Olive » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:06 pm

ngogirl wrote:There is no explicit information alluding that there is a limit on non neutrinos. We only know that neutrinos are numerous from line 45, and that non neutrinos probably make up for the missing mass. However, there is no information about non neutrinos explicitly or implicitly referred to in the passage.. HTH

What about lines 24-26?

ngogirl

Postby ngogirl » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:54 pm

wolfpack-avvocato wrote:

+1

When I first started prepping, I was familiar with the TM and PS methods, but I thought Manhattan/Atlas had to be superior from my interaction with Noah on the forums. I purchased the books and had them sent to me and went through them all 2X except the LG guide (only once). I am a strong advocate for the Manhattan Guides and I think they are great self study prep materials if you are already strong in the 160s and for getting yourself into the 170+s consistently.

ngogirl

Postby ngogirl » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:03 am

Olive wrote:
ngogirl wrote:There is no explicit information alluding that there is a limit on non neutrinos. We only know that neutrinos are numerous from line 45, and that non neutrinos probably make up for the missing mass. However, there is no information about non neutrinos explicitly or implicitly referred to in the passage.. HTH

What about lines 24-26?

Lines 24-26 gives information about how neutrinos are the most numerous particle---etc. but although they may be the most numerous particle, it does not mean that together different types of non neutrinos that could or could not be particles together would be more than neutrinos.

Example: At the farmers market apples are the highest number of fruits visible in that market, however underground where we cannot see there are strawberries, blueberries, and jackberries that are grown undergrown and not visible to us as they are underground. These fruits together make up more than the apples that are in the market to our knowledge.

I am not saying this is what the argument is implying, because it doesn't imply such a thing. It just implies that we don't have the information of non neutrinos, so in the example we wouldn't have information on non apples. If we can come up with such a hypothetical with the information that is given, then we cannot assume that neutrinos are more than non neutrinos, AND the AR never explicitly states that there are more neutrinos than non neutrinos.. it only says in the lines referred that it is the most numerous TYPE known.

HTH

LSAT Blog

Postby LSAT Blog » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:06 am

Olive wrote:

What about lines 24-26?

Neutrinos can be the most numerous particles in the universe without outnumbering all the other types of particles put together.

For example, the iPhone might be the most popular smartphone out there, but does that mean iPhones outnumber all other smartphones (non-iPhones)? The iPhone can have a plurality of smartphone market share without having a majority of the smartphone market share.

See the difference?

Edit: ngogirl just beat me to it with a solid explanation. :)

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”