December 2011 LSAT Study Group

man_utd_4l

Re: December 2011 LSAT Study Group

Postby man_utd_4l » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:45 pm

ngogirl wrote:I'll be there tonight!

As a side note:

I have been having insomnia on/off, it's related to the LSAT! I stopped having insomnia about a month ago, but this past week it has come back, I cannot fall asleep until 2am, and I keep having LSAT dreams..

Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can cure the insomnia?

In all seriousness, no TLS after midnight. This helped me a lot! It can be hard not to think about the LSAT 24/7, but you have to put it out of mind at times. Make sure that your study time is truly study time and nothing else. Follow that by making sure that when it comes time to get some rest you are actually resting. You will feel more refreshed and be more productive in all aspects of your life.

Also, this really helped me keep things in perspective. With that being said, I'm still shooting for an elite score. Difference being I now feel like I'm in a better position to do so!

http://blog.earldoeslsat.com/2011/03/av ... es+LSAT%29

man_utd_4l

Postby man_utd_4l » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:50 pm

Hey all,

Sorry to have checked out for the past couple of days. I'm in the process of moving apartments and packing has eaten into some of my normal TLS time (thankfully not study time). I won't be in the study room tonight, but I'm available to meet up in the study room later this week.

Maye

Postby Maye » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:57 pm

someone in another thread posted about going through a LR section and noting each type of question. i'm not sure why that didn't occur to me before but i think it's a great idea.

i'm trying to figure out a way to alternate drilling for games and LR. i want to devote lots of time to each, but i don't want to neglect anything else, either. my RC average is -2ish so I've just been doing a section per day. i really need to do better on managing my time.

ngogirl

Postby ngogirl » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:47 pm

thanks guys for the advice on the insomnia...

it's really affecting me adversely.. hopefully it will be eradicated..

@ man you are soo right, i usually am on TLS while my insomnia is in full gear, i will try to abstain during those periods!! i will also check out that blog posting

@ noah, thanks for the post, i will try to increase my gym time.. since i postponed i went into lsat depression for 1.5 weeks and couldn't do anything (lsat related) and i just stayed at home doing nothing.. i started going again last week, so hopefully i will be able to sleep soon!

i will keep you all updated on this

i also tried as mentioned in a lr question where you count cows jumping a fence, but one of the cows always stops and gets scared, i have to convince him/her to jump and then we get into this debate about the pros/cons of jumping and the effects lol, and then once this particular cow jumps he/she says look ngogirl, i did it!

uniquelycreated05

Postby uniquelycreated05 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:07 pm

Hey Everyone!!!!

I'm so excited to be here! I'm also taking the LSAT in December. I do have an issue with taking exam, but I'm praying I'll be fine but the time the test comes around. My PT score have been around 145, so I'm hoping to get between a 160-165 before the exam. Can anyone offer some advice on staying calm or how to focus during study time?

All help is appreciated!

Dami

Postby Dami » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:25 pm

uniquelycreated05 wrote:Hey Everyone!!!!

I'm so excited to be here! I'm also taking the LSAT in December. I do have an issue with taking exam, but I'm praying I'll be fine but the time the test comes around. My PT score have been around 145, so I'm hoping to get between a 160-165 before the exam. Can anyone offer some advice on staying calm or how to focus during study time?

All help is appreciated!

What kinds of problems are you having with the exam?

DO you have specific weaknesses? You should attack those first

Olive

Postby Olive » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:48 am

ngogirl wrote:Aww well drop by when you can, I'm sure we will still be in review.. are you on central time or overseas?

@ aeiouy of course you can! everyone is welcome!!

Yes, I definitely will. I'm overseas.

I hope your insomnia lets up! I usually never have/remember my dreams but I had a horrible dream last night that I was studying all night before the LSAT and lost track of time, was late, couldn't find my admission ticket, printer wouldn't work, was begging for a scantron, etc. I didn't get very much sleep last night, I hate LSAT dreams!

TRex77

Postby TRex77 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:56 am

What do people guess when they dont finish a question? D? I have heard "D" unless its the last 5 questions then guess "E." Any merrit to this?

Also I started with a 148 and just scored a 164 today. And on my last section I did the worst I have done on LR in a long time because i was getting really tired (11 PM, did the test after work). Confident I can score a couple points higher when I take another test this weekend!!

ngogirl

Postby ngogirl » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:41 pm

Olive wrote:
ngogirl wrote:Aww well drop by when you can, I'm sure we will still be in review.. are you on central time or overseas?

@ aeiouy of course you can! everyone is welcome!!

Yes, I definitely will. I'm overseas.

I hope your insomnia lets up! I usually never have/remember my dreams but I had a horrible dream last night that I was studying all night before the LSAT and lost track of time, was late, couldn't find my admission ticket, printer wouldn't work, was begging for a scantron, etc. I didn't get very much sleep last night, I hate LSAT dreams!

Where overseas are you? I can completely sympathize with you, I was overseas when I first began my prep and attended two review sessions at 3:30 and 4:00am my time! It was really crazy!! And I had to order materials through amazon and the university library which took months to arrive.. I would recommend utilizing materials from Cambridge LSAT because you can purchase them online, and do not have to worry about shipping time.

Haha and yeah most of my LSAT dreams have been scary ones, I don't understand why it's still 2 months until the exam!!

GimmeRoom

Postby GimmeRoom » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:23 pm

Hey all, checking in. Will be studying for December LSAT too. Have my first Kaplan class tonight, looking forward to hopefully contributing to the study group!

Olive

Postby Olive » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:35 pm

ngogirl wrote:Where overseas are you? I can completely sympathize with you, I was overseas when I first began my prep and attended two review sessions at 3:30 and 4:00am my time! It was really crazy!! And I had to order materials through amazon and the university library which took months to arrive.. I would recommend utilizing materials from Cambridge LSAT because you can purchase them online, and do not have to worry about shipping time.

Haha and yeah most of my LSAT dreams have been scary ones, I don't understand why it's still 2 months until the exam!!

Some post-Soviet country :wink:

PT 49

LG -1 (21)
LR -2 (23, 24)
RC -1 (14)
LR -1 (16)

95/175

I felt good about the first two sections, but by section three I noticed I was less focused. I need to get faster in LR even though I'm happy with how quickly I'm beginning to anticipate the correct answers now. The last reading was really difficult and I had trouble with timing in RC. I'm surprised I didn't miss more in the last reading section.

Does anyone have good advice for what to do when you read a very difficult passage and are not getting the information? I tried to read really aggressively and actively, but the last passage was difficult to understand. I'm not sure how to approach passages like this.

Also, can anyone answer this question:
Olive wrote:PT 48 RC passage #3, question 14.

I missed this question both times I've taken this PT.

I understand the correct answer, but I don't understand with what criteria we are suppose to eliminate B.

Isn't B supported by lines 45-51?

ngogirl

Postby ngogirl » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:53 pm

Olive wrote:
ngogirl wrote:Where overseas are you? I can completely sympathize with you, I was overseas when I first began my prep and attended two review sessions at 3:30 and 4:00am my time! It was really crazy!! And I had to order materials through amazon and the university library which took months to arrive.. I would recommend utilizing materials from Cambridge LSAT because you can purchase them online, and do not have to worry about shipping time.

Some post-Soviet country :wink:

PT 49

LG -1 (21)
LR -2 (23, 24)
RC -1 (14)
LR -1 (16)

95/175

I felt good about the first two sections, but by section three I noticed I was less focused. I need to get faster in LR even though I'm happy with how quickly I'm beginning to anticipate the correct answers now. The last reading was really difficult and I had trouble with timing in RC. I'm surprised I didn't miss more in the last reading section.

Does anyone have good advice for what to do when you read a very difficult passage and are not getting the information? I tried to read really aggressively and actively, but the last passage was difficult to understand. I'm not sure how to approach passages like this.

Also, can anyone answer this question:
Olive wrote:PT 48 RC passage #3, question 14.

I missed this question both times I've taken this PT.

I understand the correct answer, but I don't understand with what criteria we are suppose to eliminate B.

Isn't B supported by lines 45-51?

have you tried looking at the Manhattan forums? http://www.manhattanlsat.com/forums/ they are really helpful! HTH

btw soo cool that you are in a post Soviet country, i know one word in russian premiet! or is it previet?

ngogirl

Postby ngogirl » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:58 pm

TRex77 wrote:What do people guess when they dont finish a question? D? I have heard "D" unless its the last 5 questions then guess "E." Any merrit to this?

Also I started with a 148 and just scored a 164 today. And on my last section I did the worst I have done on LR in a long time because i was getting really tired (11 PM, did the test after work). Confident I can score a couple points higher when I take another test this weekend!

i can relate! i took a test after the manhattan session last night, i ended up finishing at 12:30am but ended on a high note.. so, hi that i knocked on my roommates door to say good night in her language! (i have been an lsat zombie, completely locked/holed up in my room lately!)

i think it's good to take at least some tests when you are really fatigued though, to get a sense of your reasoning abilities in all angles/vantage points.. btw congrats on your score increase :lol:

lhess218

Postby lhess218 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:01 pm

Olive (I'd quote you but my quoting abilities are all sorts of messed up right now),

Generally when I come across a really difficult passage (or even paragraph), I like coming up with a two or three word summary of it in addition to all of my other notes. Granted, it can't be done with everything, but it really helps to get to the bare bones of the argument that the author's trying to make. So using that PT: RC section, I'd do something like this

1) OMGZ MAIZE IS AWEZOME, + HERE'Z Y
2) Rubisco + importance
3) What Makes Maize Different

Since there's a fairly long process detailed in the third paragraph, I've also numbered the steps (but that's more so I can get through it). Also, I fake a lot of enthusiasm. A lot.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:39 pm

lhess218 wrote:Olive (I'd quote you but my quoting abilities are all sorts of messed up right now),

Generally when I come across a really difficult passage (or even paragraph), I like coming up with a two or three word summary of it in addition to all of my other notes. Granted, it can't be done with everything, but it really helps to get to the bare bones of the argument that the author's trying to make. So using that PT: RC section, I'd do something like this

2) Rubisco + importance

Since there's a fairly long process detailed in the third paragraph, I've also numbered the steps (but that's more so I can get through it). Also, I fake a lot of enthusiasm. A lot.

I do this with about every paragraph. It turns structure questions into cake

TRex77

Postby TRex77 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:55 am

TRex77 wrote:What do people guess when they dont finish a question? D? I have heard "D" unless its the last 5 questions then guess "E." Any merrit to this?

Also I started with a 148 and just scored a 164 today. And on my last section I did the worst I have done on LR in a long time because i was getting really tired (11 PM, did the test after work). Confident I can score a couple points higher when I take another test this weekend!!

bump to my question. thanks!

tonton

Postby tonton » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:19 am

TRex77 wrote:

bump to my question. thanks!

I read somewhere that 20.5% of LSAT answers in LG are B, 20.2% are D and 19.8% are C, 20.1%= E and 19.4%=A. So if the options you have after elimination are B and anything else, you're more likely to get the correct answer choosing B. More likely, not certain, its just 0.3% between B and D.

tonton

Postby tonton » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:33 am

Dami wrote:
uniquelycreated05 wrote:Hey Everyone!!!!

All help is appreciated!

What kinds of problems are you having with the exam?

DO you have specific weaknesses? You should attack those first

PM'ed you Dami, not sure if you got it. Something's up with my outbox.

Olive

Postby Olive » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:58 am

ngogirl wrote:have you tried looking at the Manhattan forums? http://www.manhattanlsat.com/forums/ they are really helpful! HTH

btw soo cool that you are in a post Soviet country, i know one word in russian premiet! or is it previet?

Thanks. Yes, I have but I don't really understand the explanation given there. So if anyone has an explanation for PT 48 RC passage #3, question 14 (specifically why B is not supported by lines 45-51), I'd appreciate it.

I don't speak Russian (yet!) but previt means 'hello'.

lhess218 wrote:Olive (I'd quote you but my quoting abilities are all sorts of messed up right now),

2) Rubisco + importance

Great, thanks lhess218. I will try that.

aeiouy

Postby aeiouy » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:21 pm

Are we meeting tonight to go over PT 53? 6pm EST?

ngogirl

Postby ngogirl » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:33 pm

aeiouy wrote:Are we meeting tonight to go over PT 53? 6pm EST?

yeah we're supposed to! can we meet at 7pm instead?

Manhattan LSAT Noah

Postby Manhattan LSAT Noah » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:23 pm

Do Tuesday nights (8pm ET) work for weekly strategy meetings? If so, we'll need some people to step up and volunteer to lead sessions. Leading means that you get to look over the questions beforehand, think about them, and then moderate the conversation (ask who would like to explain their thinking, if nobody does, then you step in).

There are sessions 5-12 left, step right up and grab one.

SA1928

Postby SA1928 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:28 pm

Hi! I don't think I am going to be able to make it to the session tonight - hopefully will be able to catch the end though!

Also, I don't mind leading a session, but I still do not have a mic (I know I need to get one)...would it be terribly difficult to lead without? :oops:

Manhattan LSAT Noah

Postby Manhattan LSAT Noah » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:30 pm

SA1928 wrote:Hi! I don't think I am going to be able to make it to the session tonight - hopefully will be able to catch the end though!

Also, I don't mind leading a session, but I still do not have a mic (I know I need to get one)...would it be terribly difficult to lead without? :oops:

Thanks for volunteering. It'd be pretty hard to lead without a mic. You can pick up a cheapo (definitely under $10, even under $5) at tons of stores.

Olive

Postby Olive » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:19 am

Manhattan LSAT Noah wrote:Do Tuesday nights (8pm ET) work for weekly strategy meetings? If so, we'll need some people to step up and volunteer to lead sessions. Leading means that you get to look over the questions beforehand, think about them, and then moderate the conversation (ask who would like to explain their thinking, if nobody does, then you step in).

There are sessions 5-12 left, step right up and grab one.

Is session five next week? I can lead that session if needed.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”