December 2011 LSAT Study Group Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
ngogirl

Bronze

Re: December 2011 LSAT Study Group

Post by ngogirl » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:22 pm

Dami wrote:
ngogirl wrote:Hi guys,

I postponed my test to December this past weekend.

Anyhow, I made a preptest schedule for the December test according to the study schedule, so I can review the tests on the schedule with others.

Are you guys planning on following the PT schedule, and, if so, what day of the week would you all want to review?

How many PTs are you taking between now and December? I would like to take a ton, but I don't have a concrete schedule. How does your schedule work out?
Well I have incorporated all of the tests from the study schedule, so I do them early in the week to allot for a review, and I am doing all the tests from the late 30's through the 60's, I would say I am doing roughly 30+ tests, but that could be adjusted for unexpected time constraints..

I would say I am taking a few tests a week, which gives me time in between to review the tests and for drilling on problem areas.. Hopefully there won't be any problem areas!! What about you?

ngogirl

Bronze

Post by ngogirl » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:25 pm

lhess218 wrote:

Anyhow, I made a preptest schedule for the December test according to the study schedule, so I can review the tests on the schedule with others.

Are you guys planning on following the PT schedule, and, if so, what day of the week would you all want to review?
I'm following the PT schedule, as well as using some of the older exams as LR and LG practice. I've already done some of them (44, 54, 56, 58, 60, 61) but I'll probably redo those soon. It's been two or three months since I've looked at 44/54/56, and I'll do the later ones closer to the exam.

But yeah, I'll review with you. I get stuck on some of the LR questions, so I'd love to hear other people's explanations.
Great! What day would you want to review the tests on the schedule? I have put them on my schedule for early in the week, to allot for time in between for review..

Yeah I have taken most of the 40s and 50s, but I'm incorporating experimentals from earlier tests that I have not seen. I will not have seen PT 63 or 64, which I will save for later closer to the test date!!

ngogirl

Bronze

Post by ngogirl » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:27 pm

Manhattan LSAT Noah wrote:BTW, for those of you starting up, we just released a new version of our LSAT tracker, which can analyze your results for PT46-63. Scroll down on this page: http://www.manhattanlsat.com/training-center.cfm

Unfortunately, it's a bit limited with some Mac operating systems (for the geeks, they don't like excel macros) - if you don't see the graphs pop-up after saving and re-opening, you can e-mail it to us and we'll fix it for you.
Thanks so much for this! Do you have anything from before PT 44? Also, does the graph calculator work with individual sections for experimentals?

I have Microsoft Vista, and Microsoft Office 2007, an emachine E625. Do you think it will work with my operating system/labtop?

chris belden

New

Post by chris belden » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:28 pm

in for the december test... will be finishing the LG bible hopefully this weekend and will start with the practice tests. then will read the LR bible, and the super prep, and more practice tests.

lhess218

New

Post by lhess218 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:59 pm

ngogirl wrote:
lhess218 wrote:

I'm following the PT schedule, as well as using some of the older exams as LR and LG practice. I've already done some of them (44, 54, 56, 58, 60, 61) but I'll probably redo those soon. It's been two or three months since I've looked at 44/54/56, and I'll do the later ones closer to the exam.

But yeah, I'll review with you. I get stuck on some of the LR questions, so I'd love to hear other people's explanations.
Great! What day would you want to review the tests on the schedule? I have put them on my schedule for early in the week, to allot for time in between for review..

Yeah I have taken most of the 40s and 50s, but I'm incorporating experimentals from earlier tests that I have not seen. I will not have seen PT 63 or 64, which I will save for later closer to the test date!!
I'm looking at the MLSAT Study Schedule now, and it says that 53 is the next one scheduled. If you've taken it relatively recently, we can always pick another. It's also highly possible that I'm looking at the wrong schedule, in which case, we should probably follows yours.

I was thinking Monday or Tuesday, since Wednesday is the next session. Any time fits for me, but I am on EST. And if anyone wants to join, please do.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

aeiouy

New

Post by aeiouy » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:08 pm

Not ready for October, so I'm looking forward to nailing December and enjoying the rest of my senior year.

Is anyone available to meet in the Manhattan classroom on a day other than Wednesday nights to go over stuff?

ngogirl

Bronze

Post by ngogirl » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:09 pm

lhess218 wrote:
ngogirl wrote:
lhess218 wrote:

I'm looking at the MLSAT Study Schedule now, and it says that 53 is the next one scheduled. If you've taken it relatively recently, we can always pick another. It's also highly possible that I'm looking at the wrong schedule, in which case, we should probably follows yours.

I was thinking Monday or Tuesday, since Wednesday is the next session. Any time fits for me, but I am on EST. And if anyone wants to join, please do.
I think 53 is for the week after next, but I am open to reviewing on Tuesday or Thursday or Friday. I am planning on taking tests in the 30's this week, let me know if you are still interested in this...

Manhattan LSAT Noah

Silver

Post by Manhattan LSAT Noah » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:12 pm

ngogirl wrote:
Manhattan LSAT Noah wrote:BTW, for those of you starting up, we just released a new version of our LSAT tracker, which can analyze your results for PT46-63. Scroll down on this page: http://www.manhattanlsat.com/training-center.cfm

Unfortunately, it's a bit limited with some Mac operating systems (for the geeks, they don't like excel macros) - if you don't see the graphs pop-up after saving and re-opening, you can e-mail it to us and we'll fix it for you.
Thanks so much for this! Do you have anything from before PT 44? Also, does the graph calculator work with individual sections for experimentals?

I have Microsoft Vista, and Microsoft Office 2007, an emachine E625. Do you think it will work with my operating system/labtop?
You're welcome!

We only have it for 46 and onward. Those are the most useful tests...

And, for experimentals, go right ahead and throw them in, and ignore the results about the overall score, but the analytics on question type for the ones you did do will be fine. It's a bit complex...

ngogirl

Bronze

Post by ngogirl » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:16 pm

aeiouy wrote:Not ready for October, so I'm looking forward to nailing December and enjoying the rest of my senior year.

Is anyone available to meet in the Manhattan classroom on a day other than Wednesday nights to go over stuff?
I am! For me I can meet Wednesdays and Fridays, only because sometimes I am busy on Tuesday and Thursday evenings. However, I can meet on those days earlier in the day, that is for right now.. For example, this week I will be busy Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday evening, but I will be available on Wednesday and Friday evening.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lhess218

New

Post by lhess218 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:31 pm

ngogirl wrote: I think 53 is for the week after next, but I am open to reviewing on Tuesday or Thursday or Friday. I am planning on taking tests in the 30's this week, let me know if you are still interested in this...
Tuesday sounds good. I'm up for doing anything up to 39, since I'm using "The Next 10..."

This week I won't be able to make anything on Thursday-Sunday re: another study session, but normally I'm good on Thursdays, Fridays or Wednesdays.

(and yeah, 53 is for week four. Thanks for catching that.)

ngogirl

Bronze

Post by ngogirl » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:42 pm

lhess218 wrote:
ngogirl wrote: I think 53 is for the week after next, but I am open to reviewing on Tuesday or Thursday or Friday. I am planning on taking tests in the 30's this week, let me know if you are still interested in this...
Tuesday sounds good. I'm up for doing anything up to 39, since I'm using "The Next 10..."

This week I won't be able to make anything on Thursday-Sunday re: another study session, but normally I'm good on Thursdays, Fridays or Wednesdays.

(and yeah, 53 is for week four. Thanks for catching that.)

No worries! :D

Let's do 35, I can't review Monday unless it's after 8pm, or Tuesday evening of this week. However, I can review during the day. Let me know if this works for you...

Also normally Wednesday and Friday evenings work for me!

aeiouy

New

Post by aeiouy » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:31 pm

ngogirl wrote:
aeiouy wrote:Not ready for October, so I'm looking forward to nailing December and enjoying the rest of my senior year.

I am! For me I can meet Wednesdays and Fridays, only because sometimes I am busy on Tuesday and Thursday evenings. However, I can meet on those days earlier in the day, that is for right now.. For example, this week I will be busy Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday evening, but I will be available on Wednesday and Friday evening.
Oh okay! I think you posted that you're doing PT 35? I'll try to do that by this weekend so I can join in for a review session. Mondays and Wednesdays are my busiest days. I can do Tuesdays after 7pm, Thursdays before noon and after 7pm, and Friday/Saturday anytime.

lhess218

New

Post by lhess218 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:17 pm

Shall we go with Tuesday evening to review PT 35? Also, what time? I'm on EST, and I don't want to exclude someone on a different time zone.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

IamJaRaf

New

Post by IamJaRaf » Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:40 pm

I'm in for PT 35 Tuesday too if that's cool. Just set a time and I'll meet you guys there !

ngogirl

Bronze

Post by ngogirl » Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:50 pm

IamJaRaf wrote:I'm in for PT 35 Tuesday too if that's cool. Just set a time and I'll meet you guys there !
Of course! Everyone's invited!!

I can't do Tuesday because I won't be home until really late on Tuesday or Thursday this week. But, you guys go ahead and review without me, I'll do self review and join you guys next week.

PDaddy

Gold

Re: December 2011 LSAT

Post by PDaddy » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:03 pm

DC_Patent_Law wrote:I'm no guru at this but I'd try taking one of the later tests (e.g. PT 55) to gauge how you do in the newer LSATs. I was surprised by my score drop in LR. This may not happen to you but it might be good to get a metric that is closer to the current trend of tests. /2cents
This is absolutely true. People need to be aware that the new LR questions are much more difficult - "tricky" might be a better word - because they are much more literal in their attempts to use wording to throw people off. They contain subtleties that are much harder to detect and, thus, much harder to respond to when seeking correct answers.

The value of the older LR sections is that they are good practice for learning the "mechanics" pof seeking the correct answers. The logic itself has not changed, nor has the way the test-makers are using it. What is different is the more savvy way the stimuli are written, the wording/language, and the sentence structure(s). More often than in the past, conclusions and subsidiary conclusions are harder to detect. Scope shifts are now scope "re-shifts". Conclusions are more often burried or stated in long sentences, and formal logic is used more often.

In point-at-issue questions, the point of disagreement is less obvious in the language. Assumption questions are much more subtle because there are more topics to juggle in one paragraph. Strengthen and weaken questions now have two "trap" answers instead of just one (notice how it's pretty easy to narrow down to two answers on older tests but now you can only get it down to three with the same effort), and the central assumptions in those questions are harder to ascertain, making it harder to detect the right answer. All of this makes LR much more complicated. People who get 50-52 LR questions correct on older tests often find themselves missing 10-15 questions on the newer ones.

I would absolutely say that a person seeking a high score on the newer tests should devote equal time to LR and RC and slightly less time to LG (35%-35%-30%). You still want to practice LG a lot because one game will still be brutally hard on the newer tests. In the past, the formula was as follows: 1-easy, 1 medium difficult, and 2 difficult (with at least one, maybe both, being brutally hard). Now the formula is 1-2 easy ones, 1-2 medium difficult, and 1 (guaranteed) brutally hard game (ex: "Dinos"). That one brutally hard game, along with LR, makes the curve, whereas past curves were decided by LR and LG.

The newer tests are more "even"; you have to pay attention to everything, because you can't neglect RC anymore either.
Last edited by PDaddy on Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aeiouy

New

Post by aeiouy » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:09 pm

I'm on EST as well.

Does anyone have exceptional problems with LR? If so, what are you using/doing? I currently have the LR Bible, but I'm looking for something more intense to work on my problem areas, whether it's a method or another book or whatever.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lhess218

New

Post by lhess218 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:09 pm

DC_Patent_Law wrote:I'm no guru at this but I'd try taking one of the later tests (e.g. PT 55) to gauge how you do in the newer LSATs. I was surprised by my score drop in LR. This may not happen to you but it might be good to get a metric that is closer to the current trend of tests. /2cents
No, it's completely legit and I noticed it with my newer PTs during my Blueprint class. My first diagnostic was PT 56, and that convinced me to take the BP class. At this point, I'm trying to nail down my LR and LG score by focusing on my problem spots (and there are several) and doing timed sections when I can. Since I know what I consistently get wrong, it doesn't really make sense for me to do a whole bunch of PTs all the time. The BP class uses a lot of the newer exams (especially for their practice tests), so I'm trying to give myself time to forget the newer ones, but still be intensively studying and taking a PT a week to slowly build up endurance. Once I feel like I'm doing better on my problem spots, then I'll start retaking the newer LSATs.

.....I don't know if any of that made sense to anyone else, but it did in my head.

lhess218

New

Post by lhess218 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:15 pm

aeiouy wrote:I'm on EST as well.

Does anyone have exceptional problems with LR? If so, what are you using/doing? I currently have the LR Bible, but I'm looking for something more intense to work on my problem areas, whether it's a method or another book or whatever.
You aren't the only one. I'm using BP's method, but this website (http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/) is fairly good too. I'd share, but I don't want to get sued. :(

If you're having issues with Flaw and Assumption questions, there's a meeting on Sunday at 9 pm EST.

ngogirl

Bronze

Post by ngogirl » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:20 pm

I recommend the MLSAT books if you want to break into the 170+ range. I have gone through all of their books twice except for their LG guide.

For me, I am weak with necessary assumption questions. I never do the negation technique for fear of running out of time. :(

I approach them as sufficient assumption types which I know is a blunder on my part. I'm going to try to review the chapter on necessary assumptions and really apply it in practice, life, and drilling.

aeiouy

New

Post by aeiouy » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:21 pm

lhess218 wrote:

You aren't the only one. I'm using BP's method, but this website (http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/) is fairly good too. I'd share, but I don't want to get sued. :(

If you're having issues with Flaw and Assumption questions, there's a meeting on Sunday at 9 pm EST.
Thanks! I will take a look at the sources you suggested. And yes, Flaw and Assumption are among my problem areas. Is the meeting in the Manhattan room?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

aeiouy

New

Post by aeiouy » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:32 pm

ngogirl wrote:

I recommend the MLSAT books if you want to break into the 170+ range. I have gone through all of their books twice except for their LG guide.

For me, I am weak with necessary assumption questions. I never do the negation technique for fear of running out of time. :(

I approach them as sufficient assumption types which I know is a blunder on my part. I'm going to try to review the chapter on necessary assumptions and really apply it in practice, life, and drilling.
Thanks, I am definitely shooting for 170+. I'm awful at converting normal sentences into conditional reasoning which is annoying because the correct answer is so obvious once you have the conditional statements. I also tend to miss flaw and assumption questions.

And don't even get me started on RC..ugh any tips on resources for that?

lhess218

New

Post by lhess218 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:40 pm

Yep, in the Manhattan LSAT room.

I'll help you with RC if you help me with LG.

SA1928

Bronze

Post by SA1928 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:45 pm

I was trying to use the tracker, but it keeps telling me that the workbook contains one or more links that cannot be updated. I tried saving it in different ways because originally it told me it wasn't compatible (I have Excel 2010? IDK if that matters...). I was originally using the other tracker and that worked, but I'm not sure what I am doing wrong with this one exactly...

Thanks!

lhess218

New

Post by lhess218 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:51 pm

This is what's been planned so far (and everyone is welcome):

Flaw & Assumption Session
9pm EST, 09-18-2011
The Room of Requirement (aka Manhattan LSAT Room)

PT 35 Review
8pm EST, 09-20-2011
Manhattan LSAT Room

Awesome Song of the Day:
"It Ain't Me Babe (Bob Dylan Cover)" by Fleet Foxes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKxqwUiHpf0

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”