December 2011 LSAT Study Group Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
SA1928

Bronze

Re: December 2011 LSAT Study Group

Post by SA1928 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:39 pm

Player21 wrote:
SA1928 wrote:
Player21 wrote:Joining. I was scheduled for October but don't think I'm ready yet. I'm just worried that a December score will screw me because it's considered somewhat late in the application process.
I've been worrying about the same thing. I was looking at people on LSN who applied later who have the same GPA and my hopeful LSAT score to see how they did last year. I'm hoping with the extra time, I will be able to really boost my LSAT score so that the late application won't kill my cycle. Although, I haven't ruled out that I might have to wait and apply next cycle...

Are most of you planning on applying this cycle? Or are you just taking the LSAT early? Anyone else feeling nervous? :(
I really would hate to wait another cycle though. But, it sucks to know you'd only have one shot only. If you have stellar numbers it wont matter when you apply. I know two people who applied well after the Harvard deadline and were accepted. But, one of them had a 3.8 and a 172 retake. Probably didn't get much merit aid though.
Definitely on the same page as you, not interested in waiting another year...just nervous that I might have to wait another year if not accepted to any schools/like you said, there is only one chance with December. I guess I am starting to mentally prepare now just in case! Although, trying to stay optimistic...Unfortunately my gpa is already not great (3.5ish) so I am hoping to really kill the lsat in December to have any chance this cycle.

barneytrouble

Bronze

Post by barneytrouble » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:06 pm

It is hard to deny that waiting for December scores to apply puts you at a disadvantage (though how much is not really certain, and probably varies quite a bit by school). But guys, there is nothing wrong with waiting another cycle if this one doesn't go how you hope. I wouldn't waste any time worrying about it. Law school isn't going anywhere, and worst case scenario you end up with a year of work experience which will only help you at OCI.

Dami

New

Post by Dami » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:31 pm

I guess it doesn't get intense until you actually register for a test
Last edited by Dami on Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

tehrocstar

Bronze

Post by tehrocstar » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:04 pm

Dami wrote:If anyone cares, I just registerd for my December LSAT. Pretty Exhilarating! Lol
haha, I know! actually when I registered for it, all of a sudden I started studying a lot more.

tehrocstar

Bronze

Post by tehrocstar » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:06 pm

I'm planning on applying next cycle, I know I want to attend law school in the future. And this is the best time for me, considering my job is likely to get a ton harder in starting next year.

Also, I'm going to be the moderator this Wednesday for the study group. I want to gauge interest/attendance beforehand. Anyone planning to participate? I know that there was already some people who already had a study group session this week.......might be study grouped-out.

There's 4 assumption questions and one 3D numbered ordering Logic Game from the MLSAT standard deck, similar to last Wednesday. I'm sure we can discuss anything else afterwards too.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lhess218

New

Post by lhess218 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:10 pm

I'll be there, and I've decided to apply next cycle as well. UVA or bust for me.

SA1928

Bronze

Post by SA1928 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:40 pm

barneytrouble wrote:It is hard to deny that waiting for December scores to apply puts you at a disadvantage (though how much is not really certain, and probably varies quite a bit by school). But guys, there is nothing wrong with waiting another cycle if this one doesn't go how you hope. I wouldn't waste any time worrying about it. Law school isn't going anywhere, and worst case scenario you end up with a year of work experience which will only help you at OCI.
Ya, this is my second year out of undergrad, so waiting another year puts me 3 years out by the time I start school...which isn't terrible, but I guess just frustrating...but it is what it is, so prepping for the December test is where I am keeping my focus! Thanks for the boost about OCI too, that's a great point. :)

afghanbeautyo1

New

Post by afghanbeautyo1 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:23 pm

Does anyone have any suggestions to do better on the LR? I get the most wrong in that section. Any tips would be appreciated.

man_utd_4l

New

Post by man_utd_4l » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:01 am

afghanbeautyo1 wrote:Does anyone have any suggestions to do better on the LR? I get the most wrong in that section. Any tips would be appreciated.
Hard for us to give feedback without knowing what you have already/are currently doing in terms of LR.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

xChiTowNx

Bronze

Post by xChiTowNx » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:07 am

I have a question. If I know I will be an GPA-splitter (sub-3.0), is December going to be too late for this cycle? Thanks

tehrocstar

Bronze

Post by tehrocstar » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:16 am

afghanbeautyo1 wrote:Does anyone have any suggestions to do better on the LR? I get the most wrong in that section. Any tips would be appreciated.
If you're getting most of them wrong in the section, you have to get back to basics. This doesn't seem like a timing issue, more related to understanding. The general suggestion is to drill each type of LR question, perhaps one type per week, 10 questions a day, etc. After you've drilled (and hopefully mastered) at least half of the most important individual LR types, start mixing in full timed section of LR. You may even want to do the LR section over again untimed. Then you can pinpoint what the issue is related to, understanding (aka have not mastered the basics) vs. timing (aka not understanding in the allotted time).

Manhattan LSAT Noah

Silver

Post by Manhattan LSAT Noah » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:00 pm

SA1928 wrote:
Manhattan LSAT Noah wrote:BTW, for those of you starting up, we just released a new version of our LSAT tracker, which can analyze your results for PT46-63. Scroll down on this page: http://www.manhattanlsat.com/training-center.cfm

Unfortunately, it's a bit limited with some Mac operating systems (for the geeks, they don't like excel macros) - if you don't see the graphs pop-up after saving and re-opening, you can e-mail it to us and we'll fix it for you.
I was trying to use the tracker, but it keeps telling me that the workbook contains one or more links that cannot be updated. I tried saving it in different ways because originally it told me it wasn't compatible (I have Excel 2010? IDK if that matters...). I was originally using the other tracker and that worked, but I'm not sure what I am doing wrong with this one exactly...

Thanks!
Strange. E-mail it to me and I'll take a look, and perhaps fix it (which would be the miracle of the day, as I'm only an LSAT geek, not a tech geek).

If you have a Mac, it's not the best - what I do is open it on a PC, copy the results to a new tracker, save, and then send it to the mac user. Maybe you have a PC friend?

Manhattan LSAT Noah

Silver

Post by Manhattan LSAT Noah » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:04 pm

lhess218 wrote:This is what's been planned so far (and everyone is welcome):

Flaw & Assumption Session
9pm EST, 09-18-2011
The Room of Requirement (aka Manhattan LSAT Room)

PT 35 Review
8pm EST, 09-20-2011
Manhattan LSAT Room

Awesome Song of the Day:
"It Ain't Me Babe (Bob Dylan Cover)" by Fleet Foxes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKxqwUiHpf0
Looks like y'all are meeting tonight! Awesome. I can load some slides for you. lhess218, I saw that you're trying to make slides - I think for non-moderators the easiest thing is to load jpg images. But, I can also give you a mod link.

Here's my awesome Dylan cover of the day: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E889f9yFHkM

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JayD

New

Post by JayD » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:27 pm

My apologies for not making the meeting, I have been extremely busy with my job. I do plan on contributing very soon!

rezkirill

New

Post by rezkirill » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:58 am

Figured out the time zone difference and the meetings are at 5 am my time :(

If anyone is interested in studying in the morning ETS time, like 9-10 am possibly till 12 am, please pm me.

Have a good day.

ngogirl

Bronze

Post by ngogirl » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:19 am

tehrocstar wrote:I'm planning on applying next cycle, I know I want to attend law school in the future. And this is the best time for me, considering my job is likely to get a ton harder in starting next year.

Also, I'm going to be the moderator this Wednesday for the study group. I want to gauge interest/attendance beforehand. Anyone planning to participate? I know that there was already some people who already had a study group session this week.......might be study grouped-out.

There's 4 assumption questions and one 3D numbered ordering Logic Game from the MLSAT standard deck, similar to last Wednesday. I'm sure we can discuss anything else afterwards too.
I was in the Sunday study group.. What time is the plan for tonight? We pulled assumption and flaw questions from the 30s since several of us are saving the 40s for PTing.

Olive

Silver

Post by Olive » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:51 am

I'm glad the MLSAT groups is up and kicking! I'm sorry I can't join you all regularly because of my time zone difference, but I will definitely try to make it to a few sessions, they were really useful.

I've been drilling and I'm happy with how I'm approaching LR, but I need more confidence in LGs, more practice on setting up and having a game plan for difficult games and more practice in RC (mostly in finishing on time).

I took PT 48 today. I think that some of games in this PT were surprisingly easy.

LR -1 (24)
LG -0
RC -3 (6,14,18)
LR -2 (22. 23)

95/172

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

SA1928

Bronze

Post by SA1928 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:20 am

Manhattan LSAT Noah wrote:
SA1928 wrote:
Manhattan LSAT Noah wrote:BTW, for those of you starting up, we just released a new version of our LSAT tracker, which can analyze your results for PT46-63. Scroll down on this page: http://www.manhattanlsat.com/training-center.cfm

Unfortunately, it's a bit limited with some Mac operating systems (for the geeks, they don't like excel macros) - if you don't see the graphs pop-up after saving and re-opening, you can e-mail it to us and we'll fix it for you.
I was trying to use the tracker, but it keeps telling me that the workbook contains one or more links that cannot be updated. I tried saving it in different ways because originally it told me it wasn't compatible (I have Excel 2010? IDK if that matters...). I was originally using the other tracker and that worked, but I'm not sure what I am doing wrong with this one exactly...

Thanks!
Strange. E-mail it to me and I'll take a look, and perhaps fix it (which would be the miracle of the day, as I'm only an LSAT geek, not a tech geek).

If you have a Mac, it's not the best - what I do is open it on a PC, copy the results to a new tracker, save, and then send it to the mac user. Maybe you have a PC friend?
Thanks! I was actually able to get it to work...it just says weird stuff when I save it. The only way it will update is if I press Refresh Data, whereas with the old one, I used to close it and open it. Refresh Data is easier anyways!

Thank you again!

tehrocstar

Bronze

Post by tehrocstar » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:18 am

ngogirl wrote:
tehrocstar wrote:I'm planning on applying next cycle, I know I want to attend law school in the future. And this is the best time for me, considering my job is likely to get a ton harder in starting next year.

I was in the Sunday study group.. What time is the plan for tonight? We pulled assumption and flaw questions from the 30s since several of us are saving the 40s for PTing.
The questions are from 29-30-31 and it's 8pm. Is the Sunday group always meeting on Sunday, or was that just an one-off thing?

aeiouy

New

Post by aeiouy » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:33 pm

I'm down for weekly Sundays if people are available. I won't be able to make it to any Wednesday sessions.

man_utd_4l

New

Post by man_utd_4l » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:01 pm

I'm also down for doing a weekly Sunday session, or any other day what works for people.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

SA1928

Bronze

Post by SA1928 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:08 pm

I'm open for any day of the week right now, so whatever is most convenient for everyone else...

ngogirl

Bronze

Post by ngogirl » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:40 pm

tehrocstar wrote:
ngogirl wrote:

The questions are from 29-30-31 and it's 8pm. Is the Sunday group always meeting on Sunday, or was that just an one-off thing?
Perfect. Then, I am so in.

I have no clue regarding the Sunday group, but I am so down for that. Also, we should settle a day for reviewing the scheduled PT's, does Tuesday work for everyone?

Manhattan LSAT Noah

Silver

Post by Manhattan LSAT Noah » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:51 pm

So that I can be ready to provide you guys slides, etc., y'all are planning on Sunday night main sessions now and Tuesday PT reviews, right?

(I know it's tough to settle scheduling in this format, but it'll be good to get this settled soon so you can get some momentum).

I believe your next session should be #3 in the schedule I sent out, which is on Assumptions and 3-D ordering. I can put questions into the room for you. If you haven't studied these yet, you can read chapters 3 in our LR book, chapter 4 in LG (it should be easy to find the equivalents in other books). The slides show only questions from PTs in the early 30s, so you can preserve the later ones if that's your thing.

Best to get a leader for each session so that someone pushes things along...

lhess218

New

Post by lhess218 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:28 pm

I'd be cool with anything, so it doesn't really matter to me what happens. If we do move to Sunday, I'm assuming that will start next week?

Unfortunately, I can't make it today. Something came up with work, and I've got a whole bunch of writing and editing to do tonight. :|

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”