December 2011 LSAT Study Group Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
LSAT Blog

Silver

Re: December 2011 LSAT Study Group

Post by LSAT Blog » Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:09 pm

I made you guys a motivational card:

Maye

Bronze

Post by Maye » Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:18 pm

LSAT Blog wrote:I made you guys a motivational card:

haha i like it

tehrocstar

Bronze

Post by tehrocstar » Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:49 pm

ngogirl wrote:thanks everyone! it's really stressful, but hopefully it will not affect me with my LSAT prep! :(

my other female roommate and i are getting a hotel from tomorrow through sunday night, since our violent roommate will be home all weekend! my mom's coming in on tuesday, so hopefully i will be out of this crazy mess soon!!
Holy crap! That sucks I totally know how it is. A friend I know l... found out his roommate stabbed someone

In other news, I may need to go under the knife before the LSAT, so I'm trying to find some motivation too. Stick in there NGOgirl!
Last edited by tehrocstar on Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

lhess218

New

Post by lhess218 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:53 pm

tehrocstar wrote:
ngogirl wrote:thanks everyone! it's really stressful, but hopefully it will not affect me with my LSAT prep! :(

my other female roommate and i are getting a hotel from tomorrow through sunday night, since our violent roommate will be home all weekend! my mom's coming in on tuesday, so hopefully i will be out of this crazy mess soon!!
Holy crap! That sucks I totally know how it is. A friend I know l... found out his roommate stabbed someone

In other news, I may need to go under the knife before the LSAT, so I'm trying to find some motivation too. Stick in the NGOgirl!
Is everyone getting crappy news today about pre-LSAT stuff? I just found out my husband might be deploying "at some point in time" before/during/after the December LSAT, and I'm seriously stuck re: what I should do.

ngogirl

Bronze

Post by ngogirl » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:49 pm

Aww Lhess stick in there... Keep on trooping and deal with it when you find out the news for sure...

Thank you everyone soo much for your support. I'm staying at my cousins until my mom gets here on Tuesday.

At tehrostar, yeah it's really scary, I'm not telling my landlord until I'm out of there for sure. At this point I don't really trust anyone in that apartment minus of course the other female. I'm just glad to be in a loving and nurturing environment. I will go back though tomorrow to get some things and pack more, and when my mom comes to leave for good (fingers crossed).

Thanks everyone!!!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

xChiTowNx

Bronze

Post by xChiTowNx » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:43 pm

@ngogirl I wish you all the best.

I was wondering if this would be an effective method to help improve on my reading/detail noticing skills. I realized a big flaw in my approach to LR is that, while I know what most question types are looking for, I am having issues when it comes to details and regarding the stimulus.

I have 100 MBT and 100 Weaken questions I'm gonna tackle this weekend - would it be ideal to go slower and do 5 at a time, review, and then do 5 more, slowly building up to ten at a time and reviewing?

Olive

Silver

Post by Olive » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:08 am

Maye wrote:
LSAT Blog wrote:I made you guys a motivational card:

haha i like it

+1 :lol:

lhess218

New

Post by lhess218 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:11 am

xChiTowNx wrote:@ngogirl I wish you all the best.

I was wondering if this would be an effective method to help improve on my reading/detail noticing skills. I realized a big flaw in my approach to LR is that, while I know what most question types are looking for, I am having issues when it comes to details and regarding the stimulus.

I have 100 MBT and 100 Weaken questions I'm gonna tackle this weekend - would it be ideal to go slower and do 5 at a time, review, and then do 5 more, slowly building up to ten at a time and reviewing?
That's what I've been doing. It's worked for me so far, so good luck!

tehrocstar

Bronze

Post by tehrocstar » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:25 am

I'm going to be doing something quite similar this weekend.

I'm going to time myself 20 minutes for each 15 question sets. And then re-do them untimed, review and then repeat for the next 15.

Anyone have any other thoughts?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Maye

Bronze

Post by Maye » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:51 am

tehrocstar wrote:

I'm going to be doing something quite similar this weekend.

I'm going to time myself 20 minutes for each 15 question sets. And then re-do them untimed, review and then repeat for the next 15.

Anyone have any other thoughts?
Seems like a good plan to me. I've been isolating the questions I get wrong and redoing them as well.

I'm kind of stalking the Oct waiting thread. I feel bad for them because of all the suspense but I'm also a little envious that they're done.

Olive

Silver

Post by Olive » Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:23 pm

My last three PTs

PT 54
RC -5
LR -1
LG -2
LR -2

91/170

PT 58
LR -0
RC -1
LG -4
LR -2
94/173

PT 60:
LR - 2
LG - 5
LR - 3
RC -2

88/170

I have a lot of work to do on each section, but specifically RC and LG. Some LG sections I breeze through, others I feel rushed on (as I felt on PT 60). I've been making careless errors in that section as well.

But what I am worried about the most is RC. I don't feel like I have a strategy down for that section yet. Any tips would be really appreciated. I feel rushed in that section and frequently have to reread the answer choices several times.

I feel okay about LR but this last PT was not so good. I felt rushed, particularly in the last LR section and there were a few that I just couldn't figure out in time. I will be doing some more drilling in that section, though there really isn't a patter of questions types I'm missing. I think trying to get it down to -0 at this point is focusing on strategy, time management and reading closely.

6 more weeks left. I feel confident I can make them count so hopefully I'll see some steady improvement. Any tips or advice would be really appreciated!

noleknight16

Silver

Post by noleknight16 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:26 pm

Going through my Manhattan LR book. Studying "Identifying the Flaw" and the "Assumption Family Summary" chapters tonight and finishing out linear games from Prep Test 1-20, possibly moving onto the beginning of grouping games.

Someone tell me this effort is worth it. :|

SoPro

Bronze

Post by SoPro » Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:37 am

When is the deadline to register for the Dec. LSAT?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

SA1928

Bronze

Post by SA1928 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:42 am

SoPro wrote:When is the deadline to register for the Dec. LSAT?
Registration Online, by Mail, or by Telephone October 31, 2011
Late Registration by Mail November 7, 2011
Late Registration Online or by Telephone November 11, 2011

SA1928

Bronze

Post by SA1928 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:45 am

noleknight16 wrote:Going through my Manhattan LR book. Studying "Identifying the Flaw" and the "Assumption Family Summary" chapters tonight and finishing out linear games from Prep Test 1-20, possibly moving onto the beginning of grouping games.

Someone tell me this effort is worth it. :|
I sure hope so! I'm about to hit the Manhattan books as well in a few minutes :) I think I need to review the older chapters...I can't seem to get a good handle on the strategy when it comes to taking the tests timed. When I do drills of the same problem one after another, I'm fine, but when they're all mixed up together and being times, I completely lose it and can't follow any strategy. 6 more weeks to get it together! :roll:

SoPro

Bronze

Post by SoPro » Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:50 am

SA1928 wrote:Registration Online, by Mail, or by Telephone October 31, 2011
Late Registration by Mail November 7, 2011
Late Registration Online or by Telephone November 11, 2011
thanks

xChiTowNx

Bronze

Post by xChiTowNx » Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:38 pm

Starting a new sub thread in hurr called 'LSAT Pet Peeves'

1. When drilling, you get de-railed by a certain question type you usually know well.

2. That one RC question that fcuks up an otherwise perfect section....

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

barneytrouble

Bronze

Post by barneytrouble » Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:13 pm

xChiTowNx wrote: 2. That one RC question that fcuks up an otherwise perfect section....
haha I WISH that this was a pet peeve of mine. If only.

xChiTowNx

Bronze

Post by xChiTowNx » Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:23 pm

barneytrouble wrote:
xChiTowNx wrote: 2. That one RC question that fcuks up an otherwise perfect section....
haha I WISH that this was a pet peeve of mine. If only.

I will admit, that might be a BIT of a humble brag...

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:24 pm

get ready for a storm of shit

noleknight16

Silver

Post by noleknight16 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:02 pm

I have a feeling our study group is going to increase in size tomorrow.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Milo42

New

Post by Milo42 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:52 am

noleknight16 wrote:I have a feeling our study group is going to increase in size tomorrow.
This sounds accurate.

I may be joining it. We'll see.

ant5do

New

Post by ant5do » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:38 am

How is everybody feeling at this point? I hope that you guys are killing it.

But I think that the color is starting to drain from my face. I've probably been studying for approximately 3 months on and off. The thing is I haven't done a large amount of timed practice yet. I took my first PT timed the other day - the free Kaplan PT 36, and I was crushed: Even though the test was extremely, extremely dirty for me, I scored about a 167. I'm not sure if I should just give up and cancel at this point? The thing is I most likely won't be applying until the cycle after next (2013-2014); I'll be out of country on fellowship. So if I do take the test later, I probably won't be in ideal conditions. Any recommendations? Cancel now, wait a few weeks and cancel, sit for the test and then cancel? I'm not sure what the credited advice is at this point, so I'm deferring to the experienced LSAT badasses on this board.

lhess218

New

Post by lhess218 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:08 pm

ant5do wrote:How is everybody feeling at this point? I hope that you guys are killing it.

But I think that the color is starting to drain from my face. I've probably been studying for approximately 3 months on and off. The thing is I haven't done a large amount of timed practice yet. I took my first PT timed the other day - the free Kaplan PT 36, and I was crushed: Even though the test was extremely, extremely dirty for me, I scored about a 167. I'm not sure if I should just give up and cancel at this point? The thing is I most likely won't be applying until the cycle after next (2013-2014); I'll be out of country on fellowship. So if I do take the test later, I probably won't be in ideal conditions. Any recommendations? Cancel now, wait a few weeks and cancel, sit for the test and then cancel? I'm not sure what the credited advice is at this point, so I'm deferring to the experienced LSAT badasses on this board.
If you don't mind me asking, what's your goal scorewise, and where are you doing your fellowship? A friend of mine took her LSAT at Bagram Air Force Base in Iraq, and she did fairly well. Depending on the country and the type of fellowship, it could be possible (could being the operative word). General advice from everyone seems to be that if you aren't reasonably confident where you are, then you should probably wait a bit. There's also the February and June LSAT, but I don't know how that would fit into your schedule.

ant5do

New

Post by ant5do » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:54 pm

lhess218 wrote:
ant5do wrote:How is everybody feeling at this point? I hope that you guys are killing it.

If you don't mind me asking, what's your goal scorewise, and where are you doing your fellowship? A friend of mine took her LSAT at Bagram Air Force Base in Iraq, and she did fairly well. Depending on the country and the type of fellowship, it could be possible (could being the operative word). General advice from everyone seems to be that if you aren't reasonably confident where you are, then you should probably wait a bit. There's also the February and June LSAT, but I don't know how that would fit into your schedule.
Ideally, I would really like a score north of 171. I'll be splitting between the UK and rural Thailand; however, I'll most likely be forced to take the test in Thailand - not the UK. And I'm not exactly enamored with that concept. But if Iraq wasn't so bad, I can't imagine that Thailand is much worse? I'm just a bit worried about taking a test in a foreign country, especially since the test won't be released. Factoring in appropriate study time, and provided that the date is offered, I think that the next time - the earliest time - I would be able to sit for the test would be December 2012.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”