170 Diag on PrepTest 7, when should I take exam?

Skunky Bumps

170 Diag on PrepTest 7, when should I take exam?

Postby Skunky Bumps » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:16 pm

Hey TLS, I've been ̶trolling lurking for about a month. I'm a rising junior and preparing to take the LSAT for the first time. June 2012 is not an option for me due to exam week (quarter system), so I've been preparing myself now so I can take it before then.

I've bought and worked through LG and LR Bible, so it's not a cold diagnostic, but I just finished my first PrepTest (#7) and was pleased to see my 87 raw score, LR-3/-4 LG: -5 RC -2, put me at 170. I don't want to coast, however, as I want to score as high as I am capable of. To maximize my potential, would you recommend that I take Oct, Dec or Feb? I have a full time job during the summer, but I study 2-3 hours per day, 5 days a week right now. Thanks for the help!

nelaw2010

Re: 170 Diag on PrepTest 7, when should I take exam?

Postby nelaw2010 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:24 pm

Wow, Bill Hicks is your avatar, and you want to be a lawyer?

Please tell me you're not looking to practice BIG LAW. Bill will rollover in his grave.

Skunky Bumps

Postby Skunky Bumps » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:13 am

Wow, Bill Hicks is your avatar, and you want to be a lawyer?

Please tell me you're not looking to practice BIG LAW. Bill will rollover in his grave.

Nope, Big Law isn't in my plans. Academia if I'm a superstar, but more likely PI work. Now I just need to marry a rich girl and I'll be all set...

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:17 am

If you can put in the time between now and October, Oct. would be good. But you need to be able to put in the time. I took Oct of junior year and thought it was great timing--a lot of time for a retake if necessary, so less pressure.

bhan87

Postby bhan87 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:20 am

Take it in October for sure. It seems you have a pretty strong grasp of the fundamentals on the exam already and you've already finished the Powerscore bibles so the next couple of months should be focused on weening out weaknesses. If your October score isn't as good as you want, you'll have time to take in December. Don't hold off till February though. That'll be way to late to apply for the 2011-12 cycle.

TMC116

Postby TMC116 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:38 am

Take a recent test. PT 7 and PT 60 are very very different beasts, not necessarily harder just different.

Corwin

Postby Corwin » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:46 am

My diagnostic was very similar and I'm taking the LSAT in October (unless I have to travel for work). I found the most gains in my studying to be:
  • Getting down LG to a reliable -0/-1. All this was for me was speed in diagraming and endless drilling of games. Make sure to invent your own diagramming rules because there are a couple recommended by PowerScore that are inefficient.
  • Carefully reviewing the missed questions in LR. Not too much drilling here.
  • Nothing really for reading. Always around -2, which is probably good enough.

Given the above, I don't think the full recommended 3 months is necessary and October is reasonable. I would take a more recent PT though to make sure you really are in the 170 range. I averaged a couple of tests to get my diagnostic score. The earlier ones are easier. Come October, if you aren't happy with your PT average you can cancel and take in December. Since you're a rising Junior, you're way ahead of the ballgame on this once and have plenty of time to get it right.

Skunky Bumps

Postby Skunky Bumps » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:13 am

Take a recent test. PT 7 and PT 60 are very very different beasts, not necessarily harder just different.

Definitely my plan for next week. I didn't want to waste a new test if I wasn't going to be close to the range I want, but I think I'm safe to say burning a new test or two won't be too risky.

Skunky Bumps

Postby Skunky Bumps » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:17 am

My diagnostic was very similar and I'm taking the LSAT in October (unless I have to travel for work). I found the most gains in my studying to be:

•Getting down LG to a reliable -0/-1. All this was for me was speed in diagraming and endless drilling of games. Make sure to invent your own diagramming rules because there are a couple recommended by PowerScore that are inefficient.
•Carefully reviewing the missed questions in LR. Not too much drilling here.
•Nothing really for reading. Always around -2, which is probably good enough.

Given the above, I don't think the full recommended 3 months is necessary and October is reasonable. I would take a more recent PT though to make sure you really are in the 170 range. I averaged a couple of tests to get my diagnostic score. The earlier ones are easier. Come October, if you aren't happy with your PT average you can cancel and take in December. Since you're a rising Junior, you're way ahead of the ballgame on this once and have plenty of time to get it right.

Awesome advice. What method for drilling games should I use to get it down to a science? Should I just cut the LG section from half of my PrepTests (I have a total of 47) and brute force drill until I can do it in my sleep? I've already drilled the LGB games 2-3 times per.

Corwin

Postby Corwin » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:55 pm

Skunky Bumps wrote:

•Getting down LG to a reliable -0/-1. All this was for me was speed in diagraming and endless drilling of games. Make sure to invent your own diagramming rules because there are a couple recommended by PowerScore that are inefficient.
•Carefully reviewing the missed questions in LR. Not too much drilling here.
•Nothing really for reading. Always around -2, which is probably good enough.

Awesome advice. What method for drilling games should I use to get it down to a science? Should I just cut the LG section from half of my PrepTests (I have a total of 47) and brute force drill until I can do it in my sleep? I've already drilled the LGB games 2-3 times per.

I would advise against initially doing parts of your PTs separately. Since you've already gone through supplements, now is the time to start taking PTs. Take them under testing conditions and then do a writeup after each one about the LGs. Specifically you want to write down this information:
  • Which ones you felt were hard, which ones you felt were easy.
  • Approximately how much time you spent on each one.
  • Did you run out of time on any of them and did you have to skip any of them and come back.

After taking about 5 PTs or so, you should have taken several LGs of each type (except for the rare ones). Take a look back at your notes and your scores on each one. Try to figure out which type of game you are missing the most questions on and which type of game is taking you the longest. Then go back to the PowerScore bible and read the chapter on that type of game again. Take a look at your diagramming technique and see if you can improve it. Take some of the questions and change the rules given, then time yourself as you diagram (getting the diagram done with a few inferences in less than 2 minutes is what you want). You could also cut out the LGs like you suggested above and make a stack to drill, but only do this after you have taken the full test.

Also, after each PT you should carefully examine each incorrect LR question as well. Likely you had it narrowed down to two answers and picked the wrong one, so figure out why you didn't pick the right one. For RC, if you are reliably getting right around -2, I wouldn't worry about it. Unless you need a 176+ to get into your dream school, -2 is fine because it's still going to put you in the 172+ rage. If you do want to work RC, people recommend the Manhattan RC book (but I haven't gone through it myself).

Skunky Bumps

Postby Skunky Bumps » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:14 pm

I would advise against initially doing parts of your PTs separately. Since you've already gone through supplements, now is the time to start taking PTs. Take them under testing conditions and then do a writeup after each one about the LGs. Specifically you want to write down this information:

•Which ones you felt were hard, which ones you felt were easy.
•Approximately how much time you spent on each one.
•Did you run out of time on any of them and did you have to skip any of them and come back.

After taking about 5 PTs or so, you should have taken several LGs of each type (except for the rare ones). Take a look back at your notes and your scores on each one. Try to figure out which type of game you are missing the most questions on and which type of game is taking you the longest. Then go back to the PowerScore bible and read the chapter on that type of game again. Take a look at your diagramming technique and see if you can improve it. Take some of the questions and change the rules given, then time yourself as you diagram (getting the diagram done with a few inferences in less than 2 minutes is what you want). You could also cut out the LGs like you suggested above and make a stack to drill, but only do this after you have taken the full test.

Okay great. I'm actually sort of relieved that my worst section was LG considering it's usually the easiest to raise with enough practice. I'll probably take a few more PT's, reevaluate, and work on my weaknesses for October. How much studying would you recommend per day to get mid to high 170's?

Corwin

Postby Corwin » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:25 pm

Just study as much as you can without letting your GPA drop and without getting burned out. It's an important test and in a lot of cases a few points is worth tens of thousands of dollars in scholarship money and/or admission to a higher tier school.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”