My vocabulary sucks

rivermaker

My vocabulary sucks

Postby rivermaker » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:09 pm

I get a question wrong out of maybe every 3 or 4 preptests because of my shit vocabulary. For all others that share my lack of the English language please post words that youve come across on the LSAT (pretty much always LR sections) that have given you a problem. If there is already a list, a link would be even better. Thank you all.

Here is what I have so far. Have a lot more, but i dont want to be laughed at. Thanks
avant guard
discerning
interim

TMC116

Re: My vocabulary sucks

Postby TMC116 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:13 pm

Get a dictionary app or software (should be free on a mac). Keep a running list of those words. You should add "invariably" to the list (as it comes up a lot on tests).

Every time you see a word you don't know. Write it down and then put it into your dictionary. Look for the definition and thesaurus results. Keep a running list

rivermaker

Postby rivermaker » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:17 pm

Yeah thanks for input. I started a list, but would like to know a few that I may not know in future prep tests.

KevinP

Postby KevinP » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:18 pm

I know how you feel.

2 words come to mind that LSAC absolutely loves:
efficacy
exacerbate

LSAT Blog

Postby LSAT Blog » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:22 pm

Here's a list of common LR vocab words.

rivermaker

Postby rivermaker » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:26 pm

thank you thank you

glucose101

Postby glucose101 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:29 pm

Honestly, jot down words you don't know when you read RC/LR passages and other reading works. Perhaps look at GRE word lists if you aren't being exposed to enough challenging vocab.

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:39 pm

glucose101 wrote:Perhaps look at GRE word lists if you aren't being exposed to enough challenging vocab.

This will knock things out in a hurry.

If you have extra time outside of LSAT study, this is probably the case where I'd be most inclined to recommend things like NYTimes/Economist reading when you have the chance.

Helicio

Postby Helicio » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:42 pm

rivermaker wrote:I get a question wrong out of maybe every 3 or 4 preptests because of my shit vocabulary. For all others that share my lack of the English language please post words that youve come across on the LSAT (pretty much always LR sections) that have given you a problem. If there is already a list, a link would be even better. Thank you all.

Here is what I have so far. Have a lot more, but i dont want to be laughed at. Thanks
avant guard
discerning
interim

avant-gard: opposite of "kitsch"...usually means something new or bold, etc., often in regards to art and the such

discerning: I usually think of this as being able to see things very well, more than other people

interim: "In the interim, I suggest you do this" (Like in the mean time)

And yeah I know what you mean. The trick is using context when you don't understand one of the words.

thederangedwang

Postby thederangedwang » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:19 pm

Helicio wrote:
rivermaker wrote:I get a question wrong out of maybe every 3 or 4 preptests because of my shit vocabulary. For all others that share my lack of the English language please post words that youve come across on the LSAT (pretty much always LR sections) that have given you a problem. If there is already a list, a link would be even better. Thank you all.

avant guard
discerning
interim

avant-gard: opposite of "kitsch"...usually means something new or bold, etc., often in regards to art and the such

discerning: I usually think of this as being able to see things very well, more than other people

interim: "In the interim, I suggest you do this" (Like in the mean time)

And yeah I know what you mean. The trick is using context when you don't understand one of the words.

Unfortunately that doesnt always work. If a word that you don't understand comes in the passage or prompt, you can use context to figure out the general meaning. But most times (imo) the words comes in the answer...especially the questions that ask...."what did the author mean when he stated, in line 15, ....

usually the answer choices for those questions are just single words which can be quite intimidating

Rock-N-Roll

Postby Rock-N-Roll » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:32 pm

rivermaker wrote:thank you thank you

I don't know how to ask this without sounding like a colossal jerk, but are you serious? Avant guard, discerning, interim, efficacy, and exacerbate are all high-school/middle-school level vocabulary words.

As far as I know, the LSAT tests mainly logical reasoning and reading comprehension. Unlike the LSAT, vocabulary is not meant to be a factor on the test.

I would seriously recommend getting a reading list with some classics on it off the web or from a teacher, and just plow through like a hundred (literally) of those books before the LSAT. I think reading level appropriate literature is the only realistic way to expand your vocabulary. I do wish you the best of luck though if you are serious about this.

sarahlawg

Postby sarahlawg » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:39 pm

lol this reminds me of when I sat down to a group of my older relatives (gpa, gma, uncle, etc) when I was like 19 and said how it was great reading the books in college, I mean, had they ever even heard the word harbinger? They all looked at me dumbfounded like I'd left out the punchline. Then they laughed and have never let me live it down. Learning new words is fun.

rivermaker

Postby rivermaker » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:45 pm

I don't know how to ask this without sounding like a colossal jerk, but are you serious? Avant guard, discerning, interim, efficacy, and exacerbate are all high-school/middle-school level vocabulary words.

Yes I am serious. I agree it is quite pathetic and I also agree that vocabulary is not a huge factor on the LSAT, but I do not want to miss another LR question because of it. I'm not talking about it happening every test. More like 1 out of every 3 or 4 practice tests for a single question. So I think my time could be better spent drilling and doing pt's over reading The Great Gatsby.

I will memorize the words I don't know on that LR list that was linked above and that should be sufficient.
Last edited by rivermaker on Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Rock-N-Roll

Postby Rock-N-Roll » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:45 pm

sarahlawg wrote:lol this reminds me of when I sat down to a group of my older relatives (gpa, gma, uncle, etc) when I was like 19 and said how it was great reading the books in college, I mean, had they ever even heard the word harbinger? They all looked at me dumbfounded like I'd left out the punchline. Then they laughed and have never let me live it down. Learning new words is fun.

The point is, developing a vocabulary is not a huge deal => Read good books/literature.

itsirtou

Postby itsirtou » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:47 pm

freerice.com

enjoy

(you can change the level to make it harder or easier)

sarahlawg

Postby sarahlawg » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:48 pm

itsirtou wrote:freerice.com

enjoy

oh man. I have given so much rice.

itsirtou

Postby itsirtou » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:49 pm

sarahlawg wrote:
itsirtou wrote:freerice.com

enjoy

oh man. I have given so much rice.

haha me too

especially since they have all the different categories (idk if those have always been there and i've just never noticed or what)

Rock-N-Roll

Postby Rock-N-Roll » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:50 pm

rivermaker wrote:More like 1 out of every 3 or 4 for a single question. So I think my time could be better spent drilling and doing pt's over reading The Great Gatsby.

Well if that is the case, I certainly don't wish to put you down. I know that it is very possible to get through college, and do very well, without writing or reading a whole lot (I was a hard-science major myself).

BUT I would actually argue with you that in your situation reading the Great Gatsby and other such novels would give you more of a boost than just ramming through more practice tests.

rivermaker

Postby rivermaker » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:52 pm

Well if that is the case, I certainly don't wish to put you down. I know that it is very possible to get through college, and do very well, without writing or reading a whole lot (I was a hard-science major myself).

BUT I would actually argue with you that in your situation reading the Great Gatsby and other such novels would give you more of a boost than just ramming through more practice tests.

Thanks for the advice and maybe I will try to do a lot more hard reading in the next 59 days. Just not novels.

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:54 pm

Rock-N-Roll wrote:
rivermaker wrote:More like 1 out of every 3 or 4 for a single question. So I think my time could be better spent drilling and doing pt's over reading The Great Gatsby.

Lol no. I agree with everything you said until the last thing. PTs are obvi more important

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:04 pm

Ephemeral's a good word to look up.

paulshortys10

Postby paulshortys10 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:34 am

Sucks when English isn't your first language.

soj

Postby soj » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:43 am

KevinP wrote:exacerbate

+1 :lol:

the other thing to look out for is common words used in a nontraditional way. words like debatable can mean inviting debate, or it could mean questionable (i.e. bad).

tyro

Postby tyro » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:46 am

Perfunctory and ambivalence were a couple of words that I recall coming up in answer choices meant to describe the attitude of the author in RC passages. For whatever reason, when I hear the word "ambivalence" I want to think it means skepticism when it actually means having mixed feelings.

rivermaker

Postby rivermaker » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:57 am

Sucks when English isn't your first language.

Don't know why you assume English is not my first language. I actually was born and raised in the Orange County area just like you guy.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”