October Retake: Shooting myself in the foot?

ks1127

October Retake: Shooting myself in the foot?

Postby ks1127 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:40 am

I took the June 2011 LSAT and scored a 163. I am retaking in October.

My question: Has anyone out there done worse on their second take, and how did the law schools you applied to view the drop in score (as far as you can know such a thing)?

I'm curious if they may view my 163 as a fluke, if say I get a 161 on the retake. Wondering if I have nothing to lose with a retake or I may be shooting myself in the foot.

Thanks!

Manhattan LSAT Noah

Re: October Retake: Shooting myself in the foot?

Postby Manhattan LSAT Noah » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:17 pm

The stats are sobering - http://lsac.org/LSACResources/Data/PDFs ... erdata.pdf - so you should consider these questions:

1. Did you have a "bad" day last time?
2. Did you not really study for the last time?
3. Are you committed to studying in a different way this time?

Here's a silly but perhaps useful rule of thumb: If you've got 3 "no" answers, then you might not want to waste your time. 1 = go for it. 2=study your butt off and see how you're doing 12 days before the LSAT and then decide whether to withdraw.

As for how a dip of 2 points look, for one, it'd be surprising, and many schools will simply look at your best score.

I hope that helps.

ks1127

Re: October Retake: Shooting myself in the foot?

Postby ks1127 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:43 pm

Stats are always nice to see. Thanks.

I was thinking along the lines of what you said. I really just wanted to make sure there wasn't some unknown golden rule to retaking the lsat that I was missing. I'm guessing there isn't haha. Thanks again!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”