Logic Games Regression

6lehderjets

Logic Games Regression

Postby 6lehderjets » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:54 pm

Has anyone here experienced regression on logic games? If so, what did you do to overcome this? My situation is this, after a string of LG sections where I did very well I decided to brush up on grouping games as they were my weak point. After spending a day going through the PS Logic Games bible and knocking out numerous grouping games I was mildly pleased with my progress but since then I don't know what has come over me because I have SUCKED it up on logic games whereas before I was only getting 2-6 wrong on the logic game section now I'm in the mid-teens which had caused a major WTF and panic reaction! Any help on over coming this mental stumbling block would be helpful.

tmon

Re: Logic Games Regression

Postby tmon » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:59 pm

There are a variety of POSSIBLE explanations, a couple of which include:

-burnout. You're doing too much and need a break.
-the games/sections you were doing before were particularly easy and now you're getting to difficult ones. For instance, sections from tests in the 30s and the superprep tests are thought to be really difficult, whereas 40s and 50s tend to be much easier.

Don't freak out. You've got two months before the test. Just keep practicing. If you're hitting prep material hard maybe take a day or two off and come back fresh.

6lehderjets

Postby 6lehderjets » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:10 pm

tmon wrote:There are a variety of POSSIBLE explanations, a couple of which include:

-burnout. You're doing too much and need a break.
-the games/sections you were doing before were particularly easy and now you're getting to difficult ones. For instance, sections from tests in the 30s and the superprep tests are thought to be really difficult, whereas 40s and 50s tend to be much easier.

Don't freak out. You've got two months before the test. Just keep practicing. If you're hitting prep material hard maybe take a day or two off and come back fresh.

Most of LG prep have been with PT in the 20s and 30s (and I was doing pretty well) but today I took the June 2010 PT and stunk it up on the LG so you may be on to something with burnout...at least I hope so. Thanks for the reply.

OnlyLivingBoyinNY

Postby OnlyLivingBoyinNY » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:33 pm

So, explain it to me. What are the explanatory variables? DV? What coefficient did you come out with? Did you experience abnormal standard errors for your IVs? That could be complicating your F statistic.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:34 pm

OnlyLivingBoyinNY wrote:So, explain it to me. What are the explanatory variables? DV? What coefficient did you come out with? Did you experience abnormal standard errors for your IVs? That could be complicating your F statistic.

I just want to say that I love your username.

TMC116

Postby TMC116 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:58 pm

I also appreciate Simon and Garfunkel...

tmon wrote:-the games/sections you were doing before were particularly easy and now you're getting to difficult ones. For instance, sections from tests in the 30s and the superprep tests are thought to be really difficult, whereas 40s and 50s tend to be much easier.

By "easier" do you mean compared to other sections (i.e. it's easier to get higher raw scores) or do do you mean that the curve is gentle and it's easier to get a higher "actual" score on the test as a whole

I'm asking because i was saving the 40s and 50s until the month before the test and i don't want a false sense of security before i take the real thing....

tmon

Postby tmon » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:06 pm

TMC116 wrote:I also appreciate Simon and Garfunkel...

tmon wrote:-the games/sections you were doing before were particularly easy and now you're getting to difficult ones. For instance, sections from tests in the 30s and the superprep tests are thought to be really difficult, whereas 40s and 50s tend to be much easier.

By "easier" do you mean compared to other sections (i.e. it's easier to get higher raw scores) or do do you mean that the curve is gentle and it's easier to get a higher "actual" score on the test as a whole

I'm asking because i was saving the 40s and 50s until the month before the test and i don't want a false sense of security before i take the real thing....

I encountered all 30s games without reference to their curves or even in context with three other games from that section at a time. From what I understood, LG should be the easiest section to -0 if given enough time, so I wanted to be able to count on at least that one -0. When I say there are a lot of particularly difficult games in the 30s I mean they're hard to -0 in around or under 8:45. That was my only benchmark when drilling games--number wrong and time it took. It worked out well because now when I encounter tougher games I've often banked time on the easier ones and can still get near 8:45 on the hard ones thanks to my practice.

Sh@keNb@ke

Postby Sh@keNb@ke » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:19 pm

OnlyLivingBoyinNY wrote:So, explain it to me. What are the explanatory variables? DV? What coefficient did you come out with? Did you experience abnormal standard errors for your IVs? That could be complicating your F statistic.

Fellow economist here.

OnlyLivingBoyinNY

Postby OnlyLivingBoyinNY » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:55 pm

Glad to know that you guys can appreciate good music :)

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”