Chances 142 to a 160?

Better for my needs?

Blueprint The Movie
1
5%
Kaplan On Demand
0
No votes
Knewton On Demand
0
No votes
Powerscore Self Studying
19
95%
 
Total votes: 20

meadmans
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:16 pm

Chances 142 to a 160?

Postby meadmans » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:49 am

Just dry humped a 142. Does anyone think its possible to bring my score up to a 160?

LR 11/26
RC 9/26
LR 15/26
LG 9/23

Prep test 36

Based on these scores i need to work on everything i would say correct?

User avatar
glucose101
Posts: 423
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:23 am

Re: Chances 142 to a 160?

Postby glucose101 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:01 am

I went from a 145 to a 157 in the matter of reviewing one test.

You can improve as much as you want. If you want a 160, work for it, and it's yours!

User avatar
birdlaw117
Posts: 2167
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:19 am

Re: Chances 142 to a 160?

Postby birdlaw117 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:08 am

meadmans wrote:Just dry humped a 142. Does anyone think its possible to bring my score up to a 160?

LR 11/26
RC 9/26
LR 15/26
LG 9/23

Prep test 36

Based on these scores i need to work on everything i would say correct?

I think the most concerning aspect is that you got 9/26 on RC. RC is the most innate of the 3 sections. You can definitely raise LR and LG, but raising RC significantly is tougher. What was the issue for the low RC score? Time? Didn't read thoroughly enough?

That said, I think 160 is certainly within reach. You just have to work at it. But don't let 160 be your goal. Try to get better and better, and once you start to see improvement, keep shifting your goals. Take it one test at a time. Try to hit 150 with your next one. Once you do that, try and hit 155, and so on.

meadmans
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:16 pm

Re: Chances 142 to a 160?

Postby meadmans » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:27 pm

Yeah the RC was basically just slow reading to much trying to learn the information which i heard your not supposed to do.

UofO
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:17 pm

Re: Chances 142 to a 160?

Postby UofO » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:33 pm

Op, I started off w/ a 136 on my cold diagnostic; I just took my first PT (SP-A) and scored a 164. I am currently following the Pithypyke method + using my PS course material. Also, my RC was about the same as yours, but now i've improved to the point of (-4 to - 7).

Granted, these are on older RCs, which are suppose to be "easier", but improvement is possible. Keep working.

User avatar
Lieut Kaffee
Posts: 774
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:01 am

Re: Chances 142 to a 160?

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:35 pm

Without knowing more I'd put the chances at around 85% with adequate effort on your part.

TMC116
Posts: 287
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:08 pm

Re: Chances 142 to a 160?

Postby TMC116 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:38 pm

glucose101 wrote:I went from a 145 to a 157 in the matter of reviewing one test.

You can improve as much as you want. If you want a 160, work for it, and it's yours!



Wow that's some intense review. How long did you spend looking over your PT?

User avatar
Lieut Kaffee
Posts: 774
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:01 am

Re: Chances 142 to a 160?

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:44 pm

TMC116 wrote:
glucose101 wrote:I went from a 145 to a 157 in the matter of reviewing one test.
You can improve as much as you want. If you want a 160, work for it, and it's yours!

Wow that's some intense review. How long did you spend looking over your PT?

I went from 152 to 164 simply by trying again, i.e. no review. People really need to not freak out about their diagnostics.

User avatar
sandwiches5000
Posts: 412
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:54 pm

Re: Chances 142 to a 160?

Postby sandwiches5000 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:59 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:
meadmans wrote:Just dry humped a 142. Does anyone think its possible to bring my score up to a 160?

LR 11/26
RC 9/26
LR 15/26
LG 9/23

Prep test 36

Based on these scores i need to work on everything i would say correct?

I think the most concerning aspect is that you got 9/26 on RC. RC is the most innate of the 3 sections. You can definitely raise LR and LG, but raising RC significantly is tougher. What was the issue for the low RC score? Time? Didn't read thoroughly enough?

That said, I think 160 is certainly within reach. You just have to work at it. But don't let 160 be your goal. Try to get better and better, and once you start to see improvement, keep shifting your goals. Take it one test at a time. Try to hit 150 with your next one. Once you do that, try and hit 155, and so on.


No section is "truly" innate. Yes, there are sections that one can innately be better at but you can still improve any section with hard work, determination, and a good breakfast.

Read a lot of boring stuff. Practice back-to-back RC sections for a few days. When I did this I went from a -4 to a -1. I used to score worse in this section when I was first prepping. Just gotta get in the groove.

User avatar
glucose101
Posts: 423
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:23 am

Re: Chances 142 to a 160?

Postby glucose101 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:21 pm

Well, I feel like a large part of it is that I put too much pressure on myself. I had already read MLSAT/Powerscore for all the guides (except MLSAT LG), but I think it was just the pressure. I had a version of a LSATProctor type mp3, and found it VERY distracting--to the point that I don't think it'd be like that on test day. So the second time, I did it without, and realized which sections I needed to focus on: LR and RC. I'm still getting there, but I'm slowly getting better. It's matter of pattern recognition.

richalvarez
Posts: 63
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:53 pm

Re: Chances 142 to a 160?

Postby richalvarez » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:52 am

I just took my first practice test (proctored) and got a 152, as part of the first day of a powerscore course. I have mixed feeling on my results. At first I was disappointed to have scored so low, when I'm aiming for a 165+ on the real thing. However, I realize I have to start somewhere and I took this test cold with no knowledge of what the test would be like. I guess I'm trying to see if my 165+ goal seems realistic to anyone, or if I need to temper my expectations a bit.

User avatar
glucose101
Posts: 423
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:23 am

Re: Chances 142 to a 160?

Postby glucose101 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:56 am

It's realistic if you plan on putting in the time to achieve the score you want. If you don't, you won't--I can tell you that much.

richalvarez
Posts: 63
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:53 pm

Re: Chances 142 to a 160?

Postby richalvarez » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:59 am

glucose101 wrote:It's realistic if you plan on putting in the time to achieve the score you want. If you don't, you won't--I can tell you that much.


Do you think two months is enough time, or should reschedule for Dec test. I was planning on completing this two-month prep course and taking the month of Sept off of work to put in some extra study time.

User avatar
birdlaw117
Posts: 2167
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:19 am

Re: Chances 142 to a 160?

Postby birdlaw117 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:15 am

richalvarez wrote:
glucose101 wrote:It's realistic if you plan on putting in the time to achieve the score you want. If you don't, you won't--I can tell you that much.


Do you think two months is enough time, or should reschedule for Dec test. I was planning on completing this two-month prep course and taking the month of Sept off of work to put in some extra study time.

It may or may not be enough time. If you aren't hitting 165+ on PTs consistently by the time the test is coming you can always push it back (or take it and cancel). You just have to be aware of the time crunch you're under and plan accordingly. You can push hard for this short amount of time and, if you don't get burnt out, you could be very well prepared.

Last year I didn't start my prep until the very last week of July and I was pretty pleased with my performance. I had plenty of time make improvements and schedule a good amount of study time. Just to give some perspective, however, I took ~30 PTs between the end of July and October 9th, so I was studying pretty non-stop.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 180orDie, bearedman8, Rogah and 13 guests