LR Bible question Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
JoeC12

New

LR Bible question

Post by JoeC12 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:41 pm

I just finsihed the LR Bible today and I was extremely impressed with it. As I progressed through the book, I really felt myself grasping the concepts and techniques they demonstrate. However, I took a practice test just now and I am sad to say that my LR did not increase at all. Due to the timed conditions, I felt myself reverting back to my old (and sometimes ineffective) ways. Did anybody else have this problem? What can I do to overcome this? I know that I eventually have to utilize the concepts until they "become second nature" but how exactly do I do that? Im a little lost. Two months away from Judgement today... Any advice?

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Silver

Re: LR Bible question

Post by LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:54 pm

JoeC12 wrote:I just finsihed the LR Bible today and I was extremely impressed with it. As I progressed through the book, I really felt myself grasping the concepts and techniques they demonstrate. However, I took a practice test just now and I am sad to say that my LR did not increase at all. Due to the timed conditions, I felt myself reverting back to my old (and sometimes ineffective) ways. Did anybody else have this problem? What can I do to overcome this? I know that I eventually have to utilize the concepts until they "become second nature" but how exactly do I do that? Im a little lost. Two months away from Judgement today... Any advice?
Just because you practiced the LR Bible without time restraints doesn't mean you'll be able to do it with the time limit. Keep practicing. Repetition is key. If you can immediately identify what question they're asking you, you can respond faster and with more accuracy

thederangedwang

Silver

Post by thederangedwang » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:02 pm

u have got to be kidding me. Just chill out and relax. If you just finished reading, and now practice everything the book tells u to do, then u would be a freak of nature. Practice makes perfect. You cant expect to do it right away.

I used the LR bible and like u, i really liked it. I started doing it about a month after my 3rd time reading through it...so relax, itll come to u

JoeC12

New

Post by JoeC12 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:09 pm

Exactly.... but how do I go about doing that? Do I memorize every single question stem for every single question type? Do I read through the concepts repeatedly? I am just trying to find a systematic and organized approach to this. I believe that my inability to score on the elite level is not due to a lack of effort or intelligence. Rather, it is because my prep lacks the structure and routine needed to score high. I am working hard on a way to develop that and I have been unsuccessful so far.

thederangedwang

Silver

Post by thederangedwang » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:15 pm

JoeC12 wrote:Exactly.... but how do I go about doing that? Do I memorize every single question stem for every single question type? Do I read through the concepts repeatedly? I am just trying to find a systematic and organized approach to this. I believe that my inability to score on the elite level is not due to a lack of effort or intelligence. Rather, it is because my prep lacks the structure and routine needed to score high. I am working hard on a way to develop that and I have been unsuccessful so far.
in my expierience, i only memorized the words that start a conditional statement (if, when whenever, etc) and the difference between assumption, justify, and strengthen.

My problems were mainly in these question types, as well as parallel reasoning..

although the lr bible is great, it actually became to mechanical for me, once you start studying more (and worrying less) it will just come to you..

trust me, just chill out now...if u r still having these problems a month from now, that is when this question should be asked. right now it is premature

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Errzii

Bronze

Post by Errzii » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:19 pm

Make sure to review the questions you're getting wrong. It may be that you're struggling with a specific type of LR question, e.g., parallel flaw, flaw, weaken/strengthen, main point, assumption, etc. Going through and reviewing the question types was the most helpful strategy for me in boosting LR.

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Silver

Post by LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:19 pm

JoeC12 wrote:Exactly.... but how do I go about doing that? Do I memorize every single question stem for every single question type? Do I read through the concepts repeatedly? I am just trying to find a systematic and organized approach to this. I believe that my inability to score on the elite level is not due to a lack of effort or intelligence. Rather, it is because my prep lacks the structure and routine needed to score high. I am working hard on a way to develop that and I have been unsuccessful so far.
When you learned how to ride a bike, did you calculate the exact center of balance needed to systematically get on the bike and ride it successfully every time? no. You just did it. Buy some practice tests and practice. Go over the questions you got wrong. Go over the ones you got right and make sure you understand why you chose each answer and why the correct answer was right.

notaznguy

Bronze

Post by notaznguy » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:56 pm

JoeC12 wrote:I just finsihed the LR Bible today and I was extremely impressed with it. As I progressed through the book, I really felt myself grasping the concepts and techniques they demonstrate. However, I took a practice test just now and I am sad to say that my LR did not increase at all. Due to the timed conditions, I felt myself reverting back to my old (and sometimes ineffective) ways. Did anybody else have this problem? What can I do to overcome this? I know that I eventually have to utilize the concepts until they "become second nature" but how exactly do I do that? Im a little lost. Two months away from Judgement today... Any advice?
Wow, I posted the exact same thread a few weeks ago. I needed to check if this was my thread lol.

Reading through the LR Bible is great to understand the basic concepts. The next thing you need to do is start DRILLING problems. Remember how you would read and learn the chapter on Must Be True? Well, now do 100 Must Be True problems and apply the PowerScore methods. And do them untimed. After you do 100 MBT problems, do 100 Main Point problems. Then progressively move on. The only way to master it is through practice.

As for conditional reasoning, your best bet is to do 50-100 Conditional Reasoning questions. Realize that not all conditional reasoning questions will have indicators, such as "People who" or "If..." or "When..." Once you do 50 conditional reasoning questions, you'll begin to recognize patterns and you can kinda just tell if it uses conditional reasoning or not.

TMC116

Bronze

Post by TMC116 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:04 pm

Yeah, like everyone has already said, just relax. Reading the material won't, by itself, make you perfect (or even great) at LR. You have to practice and implement the concepts over time.

As long as you practice thoroughly and make work hard on the LR Bible techniques, you'll be fine.

Also, it's completely normal to slow down on LR after learning the techniques. Before reading the LR Bible, you were less informed so you took a shotgun approach toward the LR section. Now that you are more informed, you can be more precise. Although you've slowed down now, you can speed up soon once you've gotten some practice under your belt.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”